Best music in RPG?

Ergonpandilus

The Preacher
So, yet another poll, but what's the best music in any RPG game that you can think of?

For me it's definately Ultima series themes, like the intro in Ultima IV and most of the songs in Ultima VIII: Pagan, but the best is of course is Ultima Stones.

Of the newest games, Risen had very pleasant, though not so touching, background themes.

Gothic 3 is definitely a strong contender.

Arcanum intro music.

Age of Conan.

I would go with the ultimas as well. Sometimes simple is best.

Oh, by the way, I agree with the Ultima choice as well.

But I think that's down to the nostalgia factor - in my case ;)

Ultima, Betrayel at Krondor, Divine Divinity, Final Fantasy ( especially VI and VII)

Each of these games had fantastic music, especially FF games truly fantastic and is still played in concert halls to this day.

Bloodlines and Fallout(1) are the only RPGs where I stopped playing to listen to the music. (More points to Bloodlines because of the dancing)

+1 for Arcanum's intro, and I also liked Morrowind's intro a lot.

Also something music-related that I liked very much was in Risen when that guy walks into the brothel at night and starts playing the lyre-(or-whatever-that-was). It was not so much about the music itself but the entire 'scene' was incredibly atmospheric and it fit very well with the setting, so I also had to pause and listen.

I love the beginning music in Eschalon, I keep listening to it everytime I start book 2 up…. however…. that's about the only memorable mention from the two Eschalon books… I was acctually thinking about mentioning it.. but just the intro is not really enough I guess, here is hoping there'll be more as I further progress in book 2 though!

Ah, yes Gothic 3 has very good music.

The music plays more important role especially in RPG games to create right mood, than many of us think.

I kind of miss the old midi music from old console games, like Phantasy Star 1 and 4 has some very nostalgic songs for me.

Gothic 3.

Divine Divinity is also good.

The Jade Empire Theme gives me goosebumps.

Last edited:
I haven't played all those mentioned, but I think the Morrowind theme has been stuck in my head longer than any other (and it's not a bad thing).

The music in all Gothic parts and the music in Spellforce are my favourites.

In general I like orchestral music as done by Dynamedion in many games I like, e. g.

Drakensang, Sacred 2, Paraworld, SpellForce 1 and 2, Overclocked,
Ankh, The Moment of Silence...

The most memorable song for me, outside of some already mentioned, is the snowfall theme from Daggerfall. It's just a midi tune, but it has stayed in my mind all of these years. The exploration theme from Ultima IV is another that still resonates.

The most memorable song for me, outside of some already mentioned, is the snowfall theme from Daggerfall. It's just a midi tune, but it has stayed in my mind all of these years. The exploration theme from Ultima IV is another that still resonates.

Mine too! I love that Daggerfall MIDI track. When Borislav was making Book II's music, I sent him that track as an inspiration piece for the snowy village of Durnore. He captured the mood pretty good!

Mine too! I love that Daggerfall MIDI track. When Borislav was making Book II's music, I sent him that track as an inspiration piece for the snowy village of Durnore. He captured the mood pretty good!

Cool. I plan on downloading EB2 as soon as I get over my current Oblivion playthrough. I'll be looking forward to finding Durnore.

Huh, I never played Gothic 3 … the continuous mentioning of it makes me curious.

My favorites are all relatively old. I love it when game soundtracks have both catchy melodies that have you hum or whistle along and help create a mood. Newer games tend to go all orchestral and stuff. Might be atmospheric, but not very memorable. Morrowind was praised for its soundtrack, for example (IIRC) … but while I thought it had a relatively nice title theme, I found the rest totally forgettable.

Anyway …

Stones from the Ultima Series is one of my favorites as well, even though I have never (!) played one of those games (I know, shame on me).

Realms of Arkania
Catchy soundtrack, the hum-along kind.
Examples: A New Life Is Born (RoA1), Diary (RoA2) and Pondering in Solitude (RoA3)

Divine Divinity
Incredibly diverse and slightly melancholic music.
Example: Sighs Of The Elvenkind

Diablo
Oozing with atmosphere.
Example: Tristram Theme

Actually, the Tristram Theme may be my most favorite of them all.

Arcanum gets an honorable mention because its soundtrack was certainly unique.

When it comes to exploration soundtrack, Morrowind hands down.

Its themes are put together really sensibly. Mostly unobtrusive, subtle and nonrepetitive, constantly massaging player on a subconcious level, with just the right amount of bombast and hooks emerging from time to time to sustain emotional impact on a concious part, without ever getting old.

I don´t think any other game has its soundtrack integrated into the environment this well. For me, Morrowind´s landscapes are painted audiovisually and without the music part of the picture is notably missing. This may be true for some other games as well, but not to this extent.

Morrowind Soundtrack - Explore 2
Morrowind Soundtrack - Explore 5

When it comes to emotional impact, Planescape: Torment it is.

Its soundtrack is imo just the most effective at accenting the emotion of game´s key story/character moments. Basically, what Morrowind´s soundtrack does for exploration, P:T´s soundtrack does for the story.

Planescape: Torment - Deionarra´s Theme
Planescape: Torment - Fall-from-Grace Theme
Planescape: Torment - Fortress of Regrets

The leitmotiv that is part of Deionarra´s Theme, Fortress of Regrets and some others just encapsulates the whole in-game journey so, so well.

Back
Top Bottom