Disney - Reviving Lucasfilm Games

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reports that Disney is reviving Lucasfilm Games.

In the last few days, Disney has posted job descriptions for numerous roles, all specifically for work at "Lucasfilm Games". These include producers, marketing coordinators, art directors, and other major roles. It even looks like there's going to be separate branch for Asian territories.

According to the postings, Lucasfilm Games will be working on "interactive products" based on Star Wars or other Lucasfilm IP, for "all digital platforms". These include PC, Mac, all current-gen consoles, mobile phones, and AR/VR devices. We're already expecting Willow VR to be announced later this year.

[...]
More information.

But EA has the Star Wars licence for games… does this mean Disney is going to buy back the licence?

Well Disney owns the IP and I get the feeling they are not happy with EA & the license. So I find this information makes me very happy as EA hasn't done a damn thing with it.

xtvrhsc0uxa21.jpg

Back to the license who knows what stipulations Disney gave EA.

Last edited:
But EA has the Star Wars licence for games… does this mean Disney is going to buy back the licence?

They did other stuff than SW too though... also aren't they called LucasArts, pretty sure Lucasfilm Games was some old name for the company that got retired pretty quick, but my memory is not the best.

This Wiki link has a list of the games released since 1984 by LucasArts.

Link -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

Anyway this announcement could also mean they are just rebranding the game IP's under a new Label. So instead of Disney or LucasArts it's now Lucasfilm Games.

Disney 2002-2008 = charity

Disney 2013-2019 = business
Don't forget they acquired all Fox Entertainment Ip's this week also for $71 billion.:biggrin:

I was trying to be sarcastic up there. ;)

My best guess is that Disney was and perhaps still is under impression all games have to be mmos, all have to be dumb while looking good and all have to milk the community through microtransactions. In other words I bet Disney talked only to EA's executives instead of reaching out to fans.

I have to day I'm not a fan of Disney these days, and that's not likely to change. I'm not impressed with their current affect on the MCU, and I doubt their foray into the Lucasfilm franchise will be any better.

Steve Purcell is a writer and director for Pixar now.

Since the Lucas acquisition I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of another Sam & Max game or even the release finally, of the almost finished Sam & Max: Freelance Police.

Meh, unless someone announces they're making KOTOR 3, I couldn't care less what they call the company or who holds the SW license.

Don't be fooled. They are just using the name like EA uses Bioware.
Marketing 101. Hook your product to a positive emotion or past experience and half your job is done for you.

I wish they would revive Jedi knight series.

And I wouldn't say no to an outlaws sequel. Loved that game. Imagine what they could do with modern game engine…

And Kotor 3 ofcourse.

Steve Purcell is a writer and director for Pixar now.

Since the Lucas acquisition I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of another Sam & Max game or even the release finally, of the almost finished Sam & Max: Freelance Police.

Good catch. Yes, I remember that.

Besides, I STILL DO wait and want for an Star Wars Adventure game in the style of Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis ...

I don't. I want to kill stormtroopers, dark jedis and jawas with lightsaber. And bring peace and harmony to the galaxy, not to mention balance to the force. ;)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...s_apparently_not_linked_to_studio_revival.php

Apparently its not a thing.
Update: A Disney spokesperson has reached out to inform Gamasutra that the below job postings do not indicate a revival of the Lucasfilm Games brand, but apparently are for a segment of an existing business that coincidentally shares the name of the LucasArts precursor.

The representative sought to make clear that Disney is continuing its licensed games strategy with partners like EA and Zynga.

The same or another rep issued a similar statement for screenrant:
https://screenrant.com/disney-revives-lucasfilm-games/
A representative of Lucasfilm Games and Disney has since reached out to confirm that the former remains committed to third-party licensees, including its relationship with EA. The representative also stated that the job listings are a sign of the studio, which has existed in its current form for several years, growing larger, but not that it would stop serving third-party licensees.

Back
Top Bottom