Mage tips for Eschalon II?

I didn't touch the demo, having decided I would support this one from the get go. But it does start off slower than E1, to me. Still, I place it about on par. Some things I don't like that were better in 1, some things I do, but all in all they seem to give me the same enjoyment.

I'm such a re-loader! I can't seem to stop myself from saving and reloading at each chest, bag, corpse, etc. I'll have to play a game with the predetermined seed if I play through again. The game is taking me hours to progress because I'm a greedy git.

Yep, I spend way too much time reloading and shopping around. I'm about halfway through now, though, and beginning to find all the reloads a bit unnecessary in terms of gear. What I don't understand is why merchants never have enough money to buy your high-priced items? I know it's an attempt at realism, but it seems to backfire to me. If they don't have the cash why can't you at least bargain them down to get rid of the item so you don't have to throw it away and take a total loss? My ranger does not need jewel encrusted tempered steel gauntlets that weigh twelve pounds and force her to have to drink potions of ogre strength just to walk.

Still, I'm having fun and can't complain. The game's extremely addictive considering how hard you have to work. :)

I really haven't paid attention to what the halfway point is, but I don't think I'm there yet. Without spoiling much, I've only been down a well and under a dam as far as dungeons go. I've explored about 7 or 8 outdoor maps and found towns named East Willow, West Willow, and Everdale. I'm currently in a cave that is east of Everdale. I'm probably level 9 or 10 and leveled most of those levels while under the dam. I'm currently broke, as I spent every gold piece getting the skill foraging up to level 8. I don't have the mercantile skill, so I'm just 2 points from an item. I'm barely getting over half price and I'm paying almost double. I also bought several tier 2 spells from a merchant, even though I know I'll find the spells eventually. I figure gold will be easy to come by, so I spend it freely.

You don't really need foraging at 8. Your money would have been better spent getting Mercantile up more. I think I had forage at either 3 or 5 plus a ring of plus 2 to the skill which I put on whenever I rested. You are nowhere near half way, but Westwillow is always good for a few levels.

I didn't think there was a Mercantile trainer. Is there one? I would have bought it up for sure! I'm still spending almost all my skill points on divination, elemental, and meditation. I think Elemental is 14, Divination is 9 or 11, and meditation is 7 or 8. All other skills were mostly bought or acquired from books. I'm in the sewers now and have moderately explored the city that sits on top of them. I've found some trainers in that city, but not a mercantile person.

There was a mercantile trainer somewhere in K. Get your Ele up higher; you'll need it later.

Nah—afaik there's no mercantile trainer. There's a skill book, that's it. According to the Basilisk forums, there are only 7 trainers in the game. Can't train meditation, or armor or a lot of other skills actually.

Here's the full detailed trainer spoiler from the Basilisk forums:
You will encounter 7 trainers during the game. All trainers can train you up to level 8.

Hunter can teach you bows, thrown weapons and foraging. She can be found in "Fletcher's Grove", hidden deep in Wolfenwood. From Everdale, head west into Wolfenwood and follow the main road. You should notice a bucket at coordinates X=63 and Y=99. From the bucket, travel northwest into the trees and you will find the grove.

There are 5 trainers in Port Kuudad. In the middle of Port Kuudad where the city marker is, you will find Sonya who has returned from the first game. She once again teaches swords, cleaving and bludgeoning weapons in her new establishment, "Sonya's House of Pain II".
Luci teaches elemental and divination magick in her shop, "The Darkest Arts Magick Supplies", which is directly north of the city marker.
Ned can teach you cartography in the building, "Mistfell Port Authority", which is southeast of the city marker.
Becka is just southwest of Ned in her own shop, "Excelsior Elixirs and Alchemy Supplies" where she teaches Alchemy.
The last trainer in Port Kuudad is underneath the city in Thieves' Arcadia. To access this area you must solve the four chest puzzle in the sewers of Port Kuudad. Zeblin is in his lair at coordinates X=90 and Y=157. He teaches hide in shadows, move silenty and pick locks. Zeblin will only train you if you have the quest: "To Hunt an Assassin", a quest you can accept when you pick up the Soulpiercer arrow from the corpse of Darus. In dialogue with Zeblin, you must abandon this quest or he will not train you.

Corwin, could the mercantile trainer have been taken out of the game? I'm wondering if there was one in build 1.01, but there isn't one in build 1.03. I'm not sure why some trainers don't exist. The game feels unfinished. I keep waiting to hear about an "expansion" that finishes the game. It's SOOOO empty. Especially out by Dunore. I can hear echoes on most of those maps. It feels like Divine Divinity during the last chapter.

So far I found one cave with the "Turn back, your fate awaits elsewhere" message near the Yoma river and got the same message in a few areas around Durnore. In some areas, though, I got a different message, something about flat ice going on God knows how far. There's also a secret place in one cave which also gives this message when you try to go down a set of stairs. I wonder whether the expansion will put in some more content around Durnore...

The first expansion will deal with the caves under Farrock. If a second expansion gets made it will be in the Yoma area.

Back
Top Bottom