Kingmaker - The Wildcards DLC Coming December 6th

I'm not too interested in 3rd DLC (I'm not too into dungeon crawling) but if done well, I suppose it will be entertaining for a short while (like Black Pits in BG EEs)
Same here. Perhaps it can be used for leveling up and looting better gear before chapter 6.

Well, the base game is far more superior (imo), so no biggie ;)
You've openly said you haven't even tried PoE2, so how can you consider Kingmaker better?
I'm not too interested in 3rd DLC (I'm not too into dungeon crawling) but if done well, I suppose it will be entertaining for a short while (like Black Pits in BG EEs)
Agreed. I never even liked Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep..

I'll be buying the "Season Pass" for certain. I just can't get over how big the base game is.

I'm currently 108 hours in and I feel like there's so much I haven't dealt with or explored yet. I've just picked up the goblin companion and I still have tons of improvements to build in my capital, regions to annex, new unexplored locations that just popped up etc. etc. etc.

After the 1.1 patch I also feel much more comfortable with the "Kingdom Management" and I haven't come across a single bug (that I have noticed) in the last 20 hours. Also, over 100 hours and not a single "game-freeze" or "crash-to-desktop" either. That's not something I'm used to, in practically *any* game. I'm starting to think that "Hotfix 014", when I started playing, was rather ideal timing. ;)

You've openly said you haven't even tried PoE2, so how can you consider Kingmaker better?

Agreed. I never even liked Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep..

No, I haven't played PoE2, so I guess I should clarify it by saying compare to PoE1 :)

I liked Watcher's Keep but didn't like Durlag's Tower. As long as there is some decent story component and loots attached to the dungeon, I don't mind dungeon crawling to some degree.

I am not really interested in endless dungeon of only combat (I also didn't play the Arena in BG1EE for same reason). Varnhold would be cool if that is additional content for our main character, I don't really care what Maegar Varn had to deal with and how he did it.

So, only additional race and class and companion is what interests me.

I'm so glad to see they implemented separate save folders for different characters. I needed that badly.

No, I haven't played PoE2, so I guess I should clarify it by saying compare to PoE1 :)

I liked Watcher's Keep but didn't like Durlag's Tower. As long as there is some decent story component and loots attached to the dungeon, I don't mind dungeon crawling to some degree.
Fair enough, but then you're comparing apples to oranges, as @bjon045; was referring to the PoE2 season pass, which is an entirely different product. :)

As for dungeons: I just get bored. I could never get into Diablo 1 for example. I think I've played through either all or most of it, but I remember being bored halfway through it.

That's the good thing about Watcher's Keep at least, as it's possible to do a level or two, exit and come back again without being punished in any way. There's no real reason to do it all in one go.

True, PoE2 is different game to PoE1, although, they should share many similarities :)

In terms of PoE2 DLC #3, it sounds like dungeon crawly stuff like Kingmake DLC #3, so not interested. Well, I guess I will have to be interested in base game first anyway :p

Still tossing a bit whether I will end up picking PoE2 up at some point, maybe like, late next year if I have nothing to play then (because you said it's an improvement over the first one, and @TomRon; was interested in my impression on it :p)

I'll be buying the "Season Pass" for certain.
I won't. At least not before goty vote on RPGwatch - I need to see if the vanilla game can push itself in my top 3.

Then again, if there will be some dlc vote... No, no, I'd troll it, better not. :D

Speaking of GOTY vote, @Myrthos; when do you plan to compile the list for GOTY? :)

Not sure how any D&D fan could dislike Durlag's Tower. That's still one of my favorite dungeons in any crpg. I love a large dungeon when it has a story to go with it. Also, Durlag's Tower was big but not too big.

On the other hand, I have no interest in these "endless" dungeons that are just there so you can farm XP or fight some uber boss. Same goes for any dungeon with randomly generated levels as that pretty much guarantees that there's little or no story to go with it.

Still tossing a bit whether I will end up picking PoE2 up at some point, maybe like, late next year if I have nothing to play then (because you said it's an improvement over the first one, and @TomRon; was interested in my impression on it :p)
From what I (think to) have learned of your gaming preferences, you'll like PoE2. Not nearly as much as P:K, but a lot better than PoE1.

Haven't played this yet, still sitting in my backlog. I think I'll pick up the season pass and wait until the third DLC is released before playing. Should be the most polished version of the game by then, right?

Edit: I just noticed this dlc is just a new race, class, and companion. That's a little skimpy, I hope the later DLCs are a little more substantial.

Last edited:
From what I (think to) have learned of your gaming preferences, you'll like PoE2. Not nearly as much as P:K, but a lot better than PoE1.

That is actually in line with experience I had with these games. PoE1 was great at first sight, but ruleset started to feel somewhat uncomfortable and world had lifeless feeling to me (especially in the city). I also didnt like the story, which might be subjective. I stopped playing several times and even re-played BG2 in the meantime till I managed to finish it. One gameplay, not really interested in re-play.

PoE2 improved a lot in my eyes. Neketaka is large and living city and much is going on around. And there is tons of content to explore. Main plot seems quite straightforward, but I did not finish it yet. Anyway I have feeling that focus is less on the main plot and more on the world and exploration. I guess thats one way to get around it if you cannot put together good main story.

Fun fact ... I put PoE2 on stand-by due to many bugs I encountered and started with Kingmaker gameplay instead. Still not ready to put Kingmaker on stand-by, so I clearly like it much more :)

I'm more concerned that all this extra content is going to mess up their patches/fixes, but I'll just have to hope for now that it doesn't. It's nice to get more content for free, so that's quite the positive. What I might do now is simply put this game on the way-backburner and just wait till all the content is out and ready, then re-dive in.

That always baffled me how Lawful Good dialogues as a Paladin sounded worse then playing a Neutral Evil or Lawful Evil character. Good lesson here on morality it seems.

Good can be just as bad as Evil & The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

As for the Tieflings class last time I played as one was in NWN2 and you had horns and a tail. One of the games main companions was a Tiefling called Neeshka.

Man how I miss NWN2!!!
It was so magical this game. It had something that really caught up with me. The soundtrack maybe, the soundtrack of this game was just amazing… And I really like the companions, Khelgar, Neeshka, Elanee… even Casavir. Actually, I really like the dubbing for the companions in this game, it feels so "alive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYhgQnEyww

And about the DLCs. To be honest I don't like the DLCs much. The first one is totally "meh" to me. The third one seems more promising. Still, I bought the season pass because… why not? I really enjoy PF:K. For the first time in ages an excellent cRPG, and I feel obligated to buy new content even if it is only to support the devs to create new content for the game. I haven't been spending my money with any other game anyways… I rather buy a season pass than Pillars of Eternity II :lol:

Ugh

They should fix the damn game first - it still is barely playable in the later chapters......

They should fix the damn game first - it still is barely playable in the later chapters……

I have just dealt with an invasion of magic beasts in the capital and am on my way to take care of the root of the problem with "the bloom", are we talking *much* later than that?

I'm a slow gamer, something of a completionist as well and I like to really take my time in a game that I enjoy. So I'm curious if I have any good reason to take it even slower, in anticipation of Owlcat fixing the issues you're hinting at.

I won't. At least not before goty vote on RPGwatch - I need to see if the vanilla game can push itself in my top 3.

It already has for me, as of now my all-time top 3 crpgs are:
1. BG2
2. The Witcher 3
3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker

This may certainly change if the late parts of the game turn out to be too much of a let down, either due to bugs or design. However, 100+ hours of gaming that has been pretty great and only marred by long loading times (which has had me alt+tab with Netflix on several occasions) has earned it that spot in my book (this far) ;)

Last edited:
I'm really interested in all 3. The endless dungeon should be great fun to fight through, especially if they continue to dip into the bestiary and throw all manner of neat beasts and good encounters at us. Plus a unique boss, more items and loot, I can't wait! :)

The Varnhold expansion should be a good one, seeing how Varnhold managed with what happened to them. And I'm especially excited for the new character - I love that they're adding another companion with deep story and more quests to do. All in all I'm very pleased with all 3, I hope they make more after these! :wideeyed:

Back
Top Bottom