The Forgotten City - New Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new trailer for The Forgotten City shows off a change in art direction.

The Forgotten City is a time loop murder mystery set in a mythological city.

Deep underground in an ancient Roman city, twenty-six trapped explorers lay dead because one of them broke a mysterious law. Reliving that fateful day over and over again, you'll need to cleverly exploit the time loop, Groundhog Day-style, to avert disaster! Face tough moral choices while interrogating diverse characters, gathering their secrets, and putting together the pieces of a giant interpersonal puzzle.

The Forgotten City offers incredible freedom and respects players' time and intelligence, rewarding lateral thinking with the best of all possible endings.

The Forgotten City is a re-imagining of the critically acclaimed mod with more than 2 million downloads, and the first mod in history to win a national Writers' Guild award.

Key features:

• Investigate a dark, gripping mystery full of twists and intrigue

• Solve problems your own way, with reason, charm, bribery, stealth, threats, violence - or cleverly exploit the time-loop

• Explore a stunning and intricate city rendered with Unreal Engine

• Interrogate richly detailed characters with interwoven lives

• Grapple with moral dilemmas which have life-and-death consequences

• Choose your own gender, race, and backstory

• Listen to an achingly beautiful orchestral score and first class voice acting
Enjoyed the mod?

The Forgotten City retains all the elements you know and love while improving every aspect and adding plenty of surprises. Walk the streets of a brand new city. Get to know re-imagined characters. Sink into original lore with fresh twists and endings. Enjoy added combat mechanics, an all-new orchestral score, professional voice acting, and motion capture animations.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Looks much better then the Skyrim version. Might buy it on release.

I've always hated time loop episodes in different shows as were mostly used as timewasting filler. Sometimes though those were done right, recent example is ST Discovery's episode that is most probably the best episode of the whole first season.
Additionally, I have to write again - never cared about Skyrim mods that don't fix (stop) respawns.

We saw a timeloop design in IWD2 ages ago and although was a small scope it was fun as it wasn't spoonfeeding the player passively.
If designers here created a fun antitwitch/antistream puzzle that is not repetitive/grindy by enforcing failsafe mechanics that refuse to allow a player to repeat over and over something they already did, unlike silly repeat till doomsday Automata just to get a different ending, this standalone game could turn up an unexpected masterpiece.
I'm still threading carefully. It might as well be just another wall banging grinder where time loop is filler used only as an excuse to grind.

Aside from a bug that prevented me from finishing it properly, FC was a pretty solid mod, for a mod. At no point while playing it did I think "this has full game potential."

I've always hated time loop episodes in different shows as were mostly used as timewasting filler.

But you like Edge of Tomorrow movie, right? :)

those were done right, recent example is ST Discovery's episode that is most probably the best episode of the whole first season.

Hmm, it seems its popular in sci-fi. I think there was pretty good similar episode in Dark Matter series.

If designers here created a fun antitwitch/antistream puzzle that is not repetitive/grindy by enforcing failsafe mechanics that refuse to allow a player to repeat over and over something they already did, unlike silly repeat till doomsday Automata just to get a different ending, this standalone game could turn up an unexpected masterpiece.
I'm still threading carefully. It might as well be just another wall banging grinder where time loop is filler used only as an excuse to grind.

The game is not combat-heavy or linear to repeat the same pattern when you fail somewhere. Repeat mechanics is there to try different route, different things or check what happened differently than you anticipated. Its story-driven game. I assume that when you fail the cursed will be "activated". So I would say that it could be hidden masterpiece.

JFarell71 said:
FC was a pretty solid mod, for a mod. At no point while playing it did I think "this has full game potential

FC the game should be expanded a lot.

I was wondering if it was based on the mod for Skyrim based on the name. I have yet to play it despite having the starting quest for it. I will probably get in that area of the gameworld eventually.

But you like Edge of Tomorrow movie, right? :)
Didn't I say episodes?
Movies do those right and the recent Happy Death Day sequel proves it's still a fine concept for big screen. For TV on the other hand…

Hmm, it seems its popular in sci-fi. I think there was pretty good similar episode in Dark Matter series.
Not only in sci-fi but also in fantasy. Or you forgot the Xena episode where she kills Joxer over and over? :D
The Dark Matter episode with time loop was the show's weakest one. It plain sucked.

So I would say that it could be hidden masterpiece.
Can't agree more.
We'll just have to wait and see.

I was wondering if it was based on the mod for Skyrim
Yes it is based on the mod, but they've remade the whole thing as a standalone product outside of the buggy Gamebryo.

Is this actually an RPG? Looks more like a mystery/puzzle solving game. Looks pretty good, too.

Never heard of this skyrim mod, will have to investigate … in particular since I am having such a great time with Enderal.

As far as time loop episodes in TV shows, I love them. I liked TNGs cause and effect and X Files: Monday. And StarGate with Window of Opportunity and being Stargate, they took a comedic break from the loop to play golf through an open Star Gate.

But the most mind boggling one was the Doctor Who Episode called Heaven sent, where it was implied that the loop may have lasted thousands of years, perhaps longer...yikes . . . .

So yeah, this game looks very promising be it RPG or Adventure.

Is this actually an RPG? Looks more like a mystery/puzzle solving game. Looks pretty good, too.

Its like adventure game/RPG-lite. Im not sure about the skills and leveling up.

joxer said:
Movies do those right and the recent Happy Death Day sequel

Good name for time loop movie. ;)

joxer said:
Not only in sci-fi but also in fantasy. Or you forgot the Xena episode where she kills Joxer over and over?

Heh, I didnt know about about it. Killing Joxer over and over? Dream of some Watchers. :) Where is the link to the episode? :p

joxer said:
The Dark Matter episode with time loop was the show's weakest one. It plain sucked.

It was the episode where Three was doing silly stuff because he was the center of the loop, right? I dont think it was weak. It has some charm. If Im not mistaken he was also singing with android which was also quite silly (and funny).

Dajjer said:
loop episodes in TV shows, I love them. I liked TNGs cause and effect

You are right, TNG. It was the episode where Enterprise was going to blow up over and over, right?

Back
Top Bottom