What games are you playing now? - Page 610 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

August 4th, 2019, 14:21
I'm playing Hand of Fate - it's actually quite fun and atmospheric! So sad that the devs are now gone
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

August 4th, 2019, 16:27
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I am currently playing Underrail with the DLC. It's a fun game, but it looks to me like it's a bit too focused on combat for my part.

Exploration is there, but in reality is minimal from what I have seen so far.
We'll see if it gets better to me…
This is what killed it for me too, @Pladio. I got my money's worth out of it, but the story is bare-bones and the combat isn't interesting after a dozen hours or so.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

August 5th, 2019, 03:43
Just got going on Armello again, fun "digital board game" - with cards, dice, & animorphic creatures ='.'=
Very detailed game world, phenomenal artwork

It looks like this Mac can handle it, really chewed up and spat out the Surface that I tried running it on before.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 5th, 2019, 23:31
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
This is what killed it for me too, @Pladio. I got my money's worth out of it, but the story is bare-bones and the combat isn't interesting after a dozen hours or so.
I'm a bit further in and I think another good aspect is character development. It has what I enjoy in RPGs which is where you can't beat an opponent, you can just come back later (a bit stronger) and then beat them. Or where you can try using other techniques to beat enemies.

For example, I have very low trap skills, but I can still lay bear traps. So what I do is try and put a few down in stealth, then walk backwards, shoot at the enemy and watch them get stuck on the traps long enough for me to kill them.

I think what's going to end up killing this game for me is its length. I don't tend to play very long games as I find the next shiny new thing or just forget where I was after brief breaks sometimes. Also, the maps are hard to follow as they're all just tunnels

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 9th, 2019, 14:51
Sunk in a few more hours to Dragon's Dogma - not enjoying it at the moment. Too many monsters, wolves and bandits even if you follow the road, and they respawn so quick too - the fact I'm not used to control isn't helping either. Speaking of control, I hate the fact you have to press escape to access menu to look at the map, equipment etc… so bloody cluncky.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

August 9th, 2019, 15:33
The respawn in Dragon's Dogma wasn't enjoyable for me, either. I tolerated it to advance quests and to see where the story would next go, but it's the main reason I don't see me ever replaying this game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

August 9th, 2019, 21:51
It's extremely grindy to finish all the quests. I tired out, levelling multiple pawns, etc before getting very far through the main quest. I would just focus on the main quest in the future.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 10th, 2019, 02:12
Yesterday I started playing a game titled Doom and Destiny, a semi-silly rpg that transports a pen and paper group of folks into a fantasy setting, and hijinks ensue. The combat is quite similar to earlier Final Fantasy games, pretty basic yet tough and replete with options. I've put maybe four hours into it so far, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 10th, 2019, 15:00
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
It's extremely grindy to finish all the quests. I tired out, levelling multiple pawns, etc before getting very far through the main quest. I would just focus on the main quest in the future.
How do you level multiple pawns?? You only get the one. You mean the other players' pawns??

I definitely would not just focus on the main quest. There's good stuff in there!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 10th, 2019, 15:05
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I definitely would not just focus on the main quest. There's good stuff in there!
Can you give me a few examples? Because I'm really having difficulty enjoying this.
--

purpleblob

Princess

August 10th, 2019, 15:28
I don't recall actual specifics, it's been a while since I played the game, but I'd agree on doing some of the side quests. It will lead to one of the games great strengths, and that's doing some serious exploring. Some of the quests give some pretty decent rewards as well.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 10th, 2019, 19:30
I think Dragon's Dogma is decent, but if you don't enjoy the combat, it's not the game for you. You spend most of your time fighting things, and that's really the focal point of the game.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

August 10th, 2019, 19:34
Dragon's Dogma is one of the most overrated garbage products ever.
I have no idea who persuaded @purpleblob into buying it.
Wasn't me, I've posted quite a few times that the game suffers from excessive grind. In fact I cannot remember any other game with respawns so annoying as in this one. Even the horrendous The Last Remnant isn't as annoying as DD.

If any developer needs to see how *not* to design a game, look no further.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)

August 10th, 2019, 22:52
I also thought DD was decent, I wasn't able too finish as I ran out of steam around the 95 hour mark. Late game monsters with there multiple health bars just took to long to hack to death and I got bored.

Right now I'm playing Madden 20, It's the best the games played in years but it still can't hold a candle to NFL 2k5. EA having exclusive rights to NFL players has really stunted any growth in the franchise with no competition.

Right now I'm playing ACO, D:OS 2 and am going to probably fire up elex today. Which means I'm really not properly playing any of them , but I can't seem to settle on 1 game ATM.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 11th, 2019, 01:40
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Dragon's Dogma is one of the most overrated garbage products ever.
I have no idea who persuaded @purpleblob into buying it.
Wasn't me, I've posted quite a few times that the game suffers from excessive grind. In fact I cannot remember any other game with respawns so annoying as in this one. Even the horrendous The Last Remnant isn't as annoying as DD.

If any developer needs to see how *not* to design a game, look no further.
My husband is the one who recommended this game to me and asking me to keep going

I'm seriously on the verge on quitting, I'm just not having fun, even the combat - the only weapon I like is bow. I'm just hanging on a little longer for 2 reasons - 1. Hubby encouraging me to continue (he usually have very good taste in games) 2. I restarted 3 times to create the pretty character I'm playing now
--

purpleblob

Princess

August 11th, 2019, 16:00
I got through the entire game, but by the end it felt more of a chore than anything else. If you're not having fun with it, perhaps take a break and try something else for bit. Don't delete it, and see if you feel the urge to go back in a few days. If not, you're likely done with it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 11th, 2019, 17:58
I'm still playing kingmaker but very slow pace; but i also started sunless sea - no clue what I'm doing - i keep running out of money which leads to starvation so I'm good at starving. Now if only i was good at money.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)

August 11th, 2019, 18:00
I got as far as that pit that is the end game (i didn't go down because i read that was the end and i wasn't sure if i wanted to end or not); i liked a lot of the game there were specific parts that were extremely rewarding - like jumping onto a dragon only to have it take off and not know what to do (dropping from a really high dragon isn't smart). There were also some really well done mazes (inside dungeons) and side quests but a lot of the game is kind of also bleh.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I got through the entire game, but by the end it felt more of a chore than anything else. If you're not having fun with it, perhaps take a break and try something else for bit. Don't delete it, and see if you feel the urge to go back in a few days. If not, you're likely done with it.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
+1:

August 11th, 2019, 21:57
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Can you give me a few examples? Because I'm really having difficulty enjoying this.
Oh jeesh, that was 3 years back! Let's see… Madeleine constantly hitting me up for cash was funny. ("I am so very much in love with you at this moment." So she says. AFTER you cough up 1000 gold.) But it's mostly about quests that lead to interesting battles. The two-part fight against the Griffon and the big fight against the (real?) hydra were great.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 11th, 2019, 22:04
I could not get past few hours with Dragon's Dogma: respawning enemies, paper thin characters, button mashing combat, lifeless world. I could easily sink tens of fun hours even in Two Worlds, but Dragon's Dogma - I just can't.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?