Fallout 4 Early impressions...

I just found power armor (mech suit) on the way to an early quest not hidden way out of the way or anything. As far as I can tell I can move just as fast and stealth works just as good. It also gives me more strength and I'm almost invincible now.

Why would I get this so early and why would I wear anything else now. All the other armor I've found and it's tons seem useless now.

You just confirmed my greatest fear. :(

I've had a feeling since the early videos that power armor was going to be both overpowered and too easy to obtain. Someone will no doubt make a mod to adjust the stats, and I hope it comes soon.

Last edited:
Am I missing something or is there no portable light source in this game? Wasn't there a flashlight built into your Pip-boy in Fallout 3?

I'm finding exploration during the night cycle to be somewhat frustrating.

You just confirmed my greatest fear. :(

I've had a feeling since the early videos that power armor was going to be both overpowered and too easy to obtain. Someone will no doubt make a mod to adjust the stats, and I hope it comes soon.

I hope a mod comes as well. I found a quest that refers to me being able to help them because I have the power armor and they tell me where to get a minigun as well. I'm only 3rd level. Not sure if you can do the quest without the armor or if they would have told me to go get it which would be worse.

Am I missing something or is there no portable light source in this game? Wasn't there a flashlight built into your Pip-boy in Fallout 3?

I'm finding exploration during the night cycle to be somewhat frustrating.

Haven't found any light sources. I haven't had any problems seeing at night or in caves though, but I'm sure I have my brightness set too high. I always have it set higher as not being able to see in games is a big pet peeve of mine.

Haven't found any light sources. I haven't had any problems seeing at night or in caves though, but I'm sure I have my brightness set too high. I always have it set higher as not being able to see in games is a big pet peeve of mine.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might eventually have to mess with my brightness or gamma settings, but I hate to do that since I'm only having an issue at night. I find it hard to believe they didn't include a portable light source.

Also, what happened to being able to manipulate items in the game world? You can examine items in your inventory, but we can't pick things up and move them around like in previous games?

This game is starting to seem like a step backwards in some ways.

I sleep at night so I've not noticed any issues myself with nocturnal activities. I did, however, fight a deathclaw that took me about 6 hours by kiting it around several city blocks, lol. And drained 3 weapons of all ammo -xxxx.

Back to the game and back to focusing on fun! That means those poor suckers in my town will continue waiting for me to grow veggies for them while I'm dining on the flesh of others! Suckers!

Yeah, I'm thinking I might eventually have to mess with my brightness or gamma settings, but I hate to do that since I'm only having an issue at night. I find it hard to believe they didn't include a portable light source.

Also, what happened to being able to manipulate items in the game world? You can examine items in your inventory, but we can't pick things up and move them around like in previous games?

This game is starting to seem like a step backwards in some ways.

I noticed the lack of item manipulation as well. At first I was like, awe that sucks but thinking back it wasn't really useful in previous games so I gave it a pass.

I sleep at night so I've not noticed any issues myself with nocturnal activities. I did, however, fight a deathclaw that took me about 6 hours by kiting it around several city blocks, lol. And drained 3 weapons of all ammo -xxxx.

Back to the game and back to focusing on fun! That means those poor suckers in my town will continue waiting for me to grow veggies for them while I'm dining on the flesh of others! Suckers!

Was it in a town were a group of people were cornered by a bunch of raiders? If so I ran in to it as well.

Unfortunately I had the power armor so I took down the 10 or so raiders and the deathclaw. Only had to use one stimpak but I drain a few weapons on the deathclaw mainly.

Conversely, I had a hard time killing 4 raiders alone without the power armor and needed to use grenades to get the job done. It was a much more rewarding fight than the deathclaw and raiders.

I think I'm just going to ditch the power armor.

LoL ya I found the power armour but when I saw it consuming power I took it back to my garage and stashed it. Had I paid more attention I might have kept it around for the deathclaw fight.

I wish I'd had my sledgehammer for that fight. I'm really looking forward to meeting another deathclaw and introducing them to my hammer named Colcannon.

Umm hold tab and your pip-boy will light up; just like in Fallout 3. Set you color to white instead of green and it'll light up quite a nice area.

I took a couple days off, so I've got about 18 hours in the game already. On the power armor, it takes fusion power and you can't walk when it is out. All you can do is exit the armor. You hold E for a long time to exit the armor.

I just found power armor (mech suit) on the way to an early quest not hidden way out of the way or anything. As far as I can tell I can move just as fast and stealth works just as good. It also gives me more strength and I'm almost invincible now.

Why would I get this so early and why would I wear anything else now. All the other armor I've found and it's tons seem useless now.
Doesn't it need resources? If these resources (energy?) were scarce enough I'd like the decision to make it appear early in the game. You walk around in different armor and when you encounter a too strong enemy you could go back and return with the power armor.

Only about 4 hrs in myself, really liking it so far especially after i found a way to turn the mouse acceleration off.

Found the power armour as well but dumped it back home after dealing with the deathclaw not because it is overpowered (which it is) but i really hated the pipboy interface when wearing it.

Have noticed there are some issues with subtitles where they get stuck as the conversation moves on.

Power Armour in the first couple of hours without doing anything special or gimmicky to get it. Surely they are sinking to new lows. It's like F3 was Bad boys 1 and F4 is bad boys 2 with ever bigger explosions and bling.

Why not have an old rusty power armour that needs to be repaired as part of that quest and then make it less effective than a suit in good nick?

Power Armour in the first couple of hours without doing anything special or gimmicky to get it. Surely they are sinking to new lows. It's like F3 was Bad boys 1 and F4 is bad boys 2 with ever bigger explosions and bling.

Why not have an old rusty power armour that needs to be repaired as part of that quest and then make it less effective than a suit in good nick?
Well if has pretty limited battery. They changed the Lore about Power armors, its battery no longer lasts 100 years.

I just found power armor (mech suit) on the way to an early quest not hidden way out of the way or anything…
Doesn't it need resources? If these resources (energy?) were scarce enough I'd like the decision to make it appear early in the game. You walk around in different armor and when you encounter a too strong enemy you could go back and return with the power armor.
I actually found two. Both by crashed vertibirds and both near Sanctuary.

As said, to use it for a while you need a power core, those cores are superrare and don't last long. If there is a ZPM to use, it's not available early, but I do expect to see it endgame.

When you find one armor you'll fight a deathclaw earlygame that's why it's there. The second one is to protect you against fire/explosion surrounding supermutated roach that drops some silly (apparently) unlimited ammo pistol.
But super low damage so don't rush on it.

And it's not sinky, low or whatever - you have it there to use temporarily because hard to kill mobs earlygame, but you won't be using it permanently, if you do continue to use it, it'll go out of power very soon and you'll have to leave it in the wasteland.
Other looted armor, craft&upgrade, nice bonuses can be gotten from it.
Actually both are in bad shape when you find them, and both you need to repair afterwards.

I'm still exploring outside of the big city where the main story is supposed to continue. So far it's fun.
Why it's fun? I didn't notice that anything I killed - respawned! Someone please tell me endless mobs are removed. Please, pretty please.

Last edited:
After 20 hours I can say that I have fun with the game. I did not encounter any real questchoices and the story still seems pretty uninteresting so far but the exploration makes up for it. Journals and logs are very well written, so the atmosphere is great.
Fighting is way more interesting then in skyrim.

I found the game too easy so I play on very hard. This is somewhat anoying because the ennemies become bulletsponges but below that is was so easy it did kill any fun I had. I didn't need to invest in damageperks and so on.

Nothing is sparse. I have too much ammunition. On level 8 I encoutered a normal lv 4 Raider with Fat Man and Power Armour. I don't use the power armour but I have found a lot of energy cells for it so I could use it for most of the fights.

What I realy don't like is that the game forces you to craft. After 20 hours I found most of the basic weapons(if I can believe the wikis). Most are shit and you have to upgrade them to counter the harder enemies. So I am forced to collect every junk I find(you spend lot of time doing that) and run back to base because I can't carry much(no fun) and invest in the crafting perks. The special weapons (named) and armour(sets) I found were not on the level of upgraded weapons and armour parts. So If you don't upgrade on higher difficulties you are in trouble.
I always liked in Fallout that you found weapons based on excisting weapons. Now I didn't find any. I realy dislike the weapon models I found. So I am completly underwelmed by the weapons. This hurts the exploration for me. No interessting weapons to find.
Another thing is that there seem to be a lot of weapon stats that are hidden from the player. Things like armourpenetration and so on. So you have to guess and try out a lot. Not fun for me.

I encountered some bugs but nothing gamebreaking: If you die by a mine/traps and reload then the mines/traps disappear. But if you then leave the area and come back the mines/traps are back again. kills the fun of exploration for me.

I did not encounter any real questchoices and the story still seems pretty uninteresting so far but the exploration makes up for it.
Journals and logs are very well written, so the atmosphere is great.
While I can't judge the story yet (avoiding the main "quest" like a plague) we share the same impression about exploration and substories through logs, texts and tapes.
Went through questchoices:
- to drug the granny so much she dies in the end / persuade her to stop with it*
- help extort the money / help against mobs / make peace between both*

While the first choice seems not important because the granny can't be assigned to anything in the settlement (maybe a bug?), the second one is basically about keeping two traders alive or letting one killed.

Fighting is way more interesting then in skyrim.
Anything is more interesting than Skyrim. :D
I'll say it another way - fighting is fun!

I found the game too easy so I play on very hard.
I never play first runs on easy/hard. Always normal.

What I realy don't like is that the game forces you to craft.
True, you want to pwn? Go craft.
Hey, didn't you say the game is too easy? :p

No interessting weapons to find.
Have to disagree. I'm 10 hours less than you and found quite a few weapons with star suffix, all superinteresting! A wrench with 20% chance to cripple an enemy for example, superb weapon for tanks IMO.

Another thing is that there seem to be a lot of weapon stats that are hidden from the player. Things like armourpenetration and so on. So you have to guess and try out a lot. Not fun for me.
That's the curse of modern games where developers think players don't care about it.
We do care! And I agree, it's not fun not to know.

-------------------------
cosworth likes those choices if you manage to do them, to keep the granny alive you need CHR 9, so keep the hat CHR+1 and suit CHR+2 if you want to keep the granny alive and started the game like me with CHR 6

This game is definitely too easy, but I expected that. I'm averaging about 1 level-up per hour which is way too fast for a game like this imo, and I'm already taking on large groups of raiders with ease on Hard difficulty.

And yeah...power armor was much too easy to obtain and requires little in the way of resources.

Originally Posted by Khayyin View Post
What I realy don't like is that the game forces you to craft.

True, you want to pwn? Go craft.
Hey, didn't you say the game is too easy?

That is something I always wonder about. Focusing on a min/max style of character for stats, armor, weapons, etc. is bound to make the game easier (although I understand the appeal to be the "absolute best" in a game). I prefer to first define my character (ie. Wulf is an anti-tech, anti-gun guy who is a charming brute of a man) and then make him the best within his character personality.

I am not using the power armor (unless I have no other choice to get past a sticking point) and I have perception of 2 and can't use guns worth squat. I am melee based in light armor. I am finding the game super challenging even on an easier setting. I am always on the look out for a certain "look" or "style" to his outfits and finding some cool melee weapons. I keep a spare gun or two but only in case of an emergency where I might need it for a quest or get past a sticking point.

So far enjoying it all myself and find it tense and challenging. But we all have different play styles I know.

I don't want to minmax and don't want to craft. If without I have a decent challenge on normal difficulty, I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom