Beyond Good & Evil 2 - [Rumour] In Development Hell

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on a rumour that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is in development hell.

Henderson claims that the game lacks a creative direction, something that got even worse when Michael Ancel left Ubisoft. Not only that, but its development team fears that Ubisoft may actually cancel the game.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 was the spiritual successor to the cult classic, and a prequel that will transport players into a profoundly multicultural world. The game aims to capture the spirit of the original with "grandiose decors and intense dramas that play out across a vast universe."

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

No surprises there. After that much time where nothing is heard of the game, it kind of a given I suppose

Probably for the best, the last gameplay reveal showed that the tech was interesting going from NPC level then back out in to space but a horrible art style and little imagination in its demonstrated world killed a lot of my enthusiasm for this.
The first game continues to be a hard act to follow..

This was kinda predictable.
What surprises me though, that Ubi spectacularly mishandled the whole situation: BGE2 should have been axed years ago.

They didn't, so the problem is that BGE2 already cost Ubi some considerable dough, so. . .
. . . someone there made not one but TWO age-old mistakes:
Mistake 1: thinking that redesigning a strong single game to a service game would solve everything.
Mistake 2: thinking that redesigning a niche game to mainstream would solve everything.

Wrong and wrong.

Oh well, their loss, not ours, so I'm fine.

Imagine working on a zombie title like this, going in every day and creating assets, writing code, knowing that it's going to be cancelled eventually.

I'd say they're making a third, even more classic mistake:

Sunk Cost Fallacy –if it's never going to be released, friggin' cancel it already

I was interested in the idea of a sequel, but I didn't like the look of the CGI trailer they released.

Imagine working on a zombie title like this, going in every day and creating assets, writing code, knowing that it's going to be cancelled eventually.

I'd say they're making a third, even more classic mistake:

Sunk Cost Fallacy –if it's never going to be released, friggin' cancel it already
Sounds like a few Early Access games about Zombies on Steam. :biggrin:

Yep seven to eight years later they are still not fully released or done.

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Ah, I see you are a man of (corporate) culture as well.

Yup, this is the cardinal sin (hence my remark on the early axe) - and the two mistakes mentioned are the supposed remedy for that.

They can just pull a cyberpunk. You get a blond to post a bunch of fake videos of the game and release it such as it is, still make money and move on …:)

They can just pull a cyberpunk. You get a blond to post a bunch of fake videos of the game and release it such as it is, still make money and move on …:)
Shit, that's diabolical! Even better than having Epic pay for your entire development.

Back
Top Bottom