Knights of the Old Republic is 15 Years Old

These were ok to play, but when I first saw the thread title I was thinking it was about Knights of the Chalice for some reason! Too much wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.

Like I once imagined joxer talking sense.

Must be getting old :)
You don't have imagination, so no, you didn't imagine anything.
It was a dream.

Wow that's pretty nice and super recent information, thanks for the link! Lots of great information there to read, still sounds like quite some time before we'll see the game but any updates are good!

I mean, I can be serious when it comes to Tolkien - who created pretty much everything himself and put in the work.

As the head of the Anglo Saxon department at Oxford, Tolkien was inspired by tons of source material he had around him. i.e. Gandolf is Merlin, and a type of Christ, ork is an Anglo-Saxon spelling of ogre and take a look at this passage from the Volsunga Saga

"So Loki beheld the gold of Andvari, and when he had given up the gold, he had but one ring left, and that also Loki took from him; then the dwarf went into a hollow of the rocks, and cried out, that that gold-ring, yea and all the gold withal, should be the bane of every man who should own it thereafter."

The Hobbit itself is a retelling of Seigfreid's slaying of the dragon Fafnir

As the head of the Anglo Saxon department at Oxford, Tolkien was inspired by tons of source material he had around him. i.e. Gandolf is Merlin, and a type of Christ, ork is an Anglo-Saxon spelling of ogre and take a look at this passage from the Volsunga Saga. The Hobbit itself is a retelling of Seigfreid's slaying of the dragon Fafnir
Which leads credence to the theory originality is dead.

Everything has an influence & Re-Used & Re-told.

As the head of the Anglo Saxon department at Oxford, Tolkien was inspired by tons of source material he had around him. i.e. Gandolf is Merlin, and a type of Christ, ork is an Anglo-Saxon spelling of ogre and take a look at this passage from the Volsunga Saga

The Hobbit itself is a retelling of Seigfreid's slaying of the dragon Fafnir

I didn't say he wasn't inspired - I said he created it all by himself, which he did. Lucas has openly admitted he took directly from a variety of sources, including Japanese films like Hidden Fortress - which is a mirror of ANH in several ways.

As for The Hobbit, that's the first I've heard of it being a retelling. Could you source that?

I don't think it's possible to be alive and not be inspired by something.

There is nothing new under the sun? All is vanity?

The identifying of modern stories being retelling of older ones and identifying them was the basis of my Mythology class. It was an extension of the English department \as the hordes of people in my class were disappointed to find out.

One of the oldest stories in history is Cinderella, a version of which was found in Egypt. There's a theory that it comes from an earlier Indo-European root.

Only if people believe originality has to be 100% pure and untouched by inspiration, which is stupid.

But, of course, if people want to pretend that copying others and being inspired are identical - so be it.

I didn't say he wasn't inspired - I said he created it all by himself, which he did. Lucas has openly admitted he took directly from a variety of sources, including Japanese films like Hidden Fortress - which is a mirror of ANH in several ways.

As for The Hobbit, that's the first I've heard of it being a retelling. Could you source that?

I don't think it's possible to be alive and not be inspired by something.
According to some articles Star Wars was inspired by Valérian and Laureline.

Link - https://www.core77.com/posts/60032/...Star-Wars-Finally-Getting-the-Movie-Treatment

If so I watched the movie and it was terrible.
Only if people believe originality has to be 100% pure and untouched by inspiration, which is stupid.

But, of course, if people want to pretend that copying others and being inspired are identical - so be it.
Nope just quoting the opinions from certain educators in College. There is also quite a few articles about this topic on the internet. I believe it has some truth but not an absolute.

See I used a Sith word in that reply.:biggrin:

Last edited:
According to some articles Star Wars was inspire by Valérian and Laureline.

Link - https://www.core77.com/posts/60032/...Star-Wars-Finally-Getting-the-Movie-Treatment

If so I watched the the movie and it was terrible.

To me, it's obvious that Star Wars is an almost random mish-mash of ideas taken from all over the place.

Which isn't a bad thing at all, because it works - and it was a very fresh spin.

My point was that it's probably not worth fretting too much over canon and such, in that case.

Nope just quoting the opinions from certain educators in College. There is also quite a few articles about this topic on the internet.

Yes, I'm well aware - and they all seem to skirt the main issue.

Like, is pure originality the only kind of originality - for instance.

That's the problem with language and concepts like this. They're too rigid and people forget to establish what they're talking about before they go about discussing them.

You are arguing semantics again. His work was not original and he freely admits to the influence of Beowulf, which he was a leading critic of.

If you are looking for sources, there are plenty if you look it up.

Here's one https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/smaug-dragons-deep-roots-real-mythology-180964935/

No, I'm not arguing semantics - you're just upset that I wasn't being literal for some reason.

As for your source, it says absolutely nothing about The Hobbit being a retelling - so that's a complete fabrication on your part.

In fact, here's a quote:

The Hobbit isn’t a retelling of any myth, although it does share the dragonslayer narrative about struggle against evil that is common to many myths.

He's talking about his sources of inspiration.

No, I'm not arguing semantics - you're just upset that I wasn't being literal for some reason.

You're arguing semantics again. You are also taking a position, again, and demanding you are still right in spite of facts...again.

That's just one source. Feel free to find the thousands of others including the speech Tolkien gave himself regarding Beowulf and the Hobbit.

You're arguing semantics again. You are also taking a position, again, and demanding you are still right in spite of facts…again.

That's just one source. Feel free to find the thousands of others including the speech Tolkien gave himself regarding Beowulf and the Hobbit.

Yes, yes - let's see if you can't fit me into your narrative instead of owning up to your own foolish take on what I said.

Apparently, when I said Tolkien put in the work and created his own material - it meant he wasn't inspired at all by anything.

To you, taking directly from a variety of sources is the same thing as drawing inspiration. Cool for you.

You failed to back up your claim, and let's just say I'm not surprised.

Seriously?

I think KotOR was infinitely more satisfying as a singleplayer game, but to each his own.

Yes, seriously.

I play SWTOR like a single player game, which means I replay class stories with new characters once in a while (rarely finished them). Saying that, I don't replay them like crazy, I get some Star Wars buzz once a year and it last one month or two.

Yes, yes - let's see if you can't fit me into your narrative instead of owning up to your own foolish take on what I said.

Apparently, when I said Tolkien put in the work and created his own material - it meant he wasn't inspired at all by anything.

To you, taking directly from a variety of sources is the same thing as drawing inspiration. Cool for you.

Apparently, when I said Tolkien was inspired - it meant (to you) he was nothing like George Lucas who also did that.

To you, taking directly from a variety of sources is not the same thing as drawing inspiration directly from a variety of sources such as Andvir's ring, Beowulf's layer, Fafnir's gold horde, etc. etc. Cool for you.

Now who's upset?

Yes, seriously.

I play SWTOR like a single player game, which means I replay class stories with new characters once in a while (rarely finished them). Saying that, I don't replay them like crazy, I get some Star Wars buzz once a year and it last one month or two.

I wish I could enjoy the game on that level. Sadly, I miss the gameplay and mechanics from the KotOR games.

Apparently, when I said Tolkien was inspired - it meant (to you) he was nothing like George Lucas who also did that.

To you, taking directly from a variety of sources is not the same thing as drawing inspiration directly from a variety of sources such as Andvir's ring, Beowulf's layer, etc. etc. Cool for you.

At least it seems you've learned the difference between being inspired and stealing from others and using it yourself ;)

Back
Top Bottom