Dark Messiah - HD Texture Pack

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on a high definition texture pack for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

As we can see in these screenshots, the game's lighting is really dated and makes the environments feel flat. Thus, I'm pretty sure that this game would greatly benefit from Reshade Ray Tracing.

In case you receive a crash when loading new game or saved game, apply large address aware to mm.exe.

You can download Dark Messiah Enhanced from here.

Have fun!
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I was just thinking the same thing, JDR, I've only played the game once and really should do it again, as the first time was great. Assuming this pack can be easily implemented, I just might have to schedule a date with Dark Messiah sometime soon!!

This looks like all the other Topaz A.I. Gigapixel neural texture mods.

Anyway not complaining as this game needed modern textures.

Last edited:
I kind of have this problem with these HD texture mods for older games. Combined with relatively low polygon count of the models the textures kind of pop out and feel out of place. It's like they are too sharp. Does any of you notice this?

For example, the rug beside the bed in this picture pops out for me:
60-1578514739-1887623875.png

I kind of have this problem with these HD texture mods for older games. Combined with relatively low polygon count of the models the textures kind of pop out and feel out of place. It's like they are too sharp. Does any of you notice this?

I agree.

Playing the game after a few beers may compensate for that effect? :beer: :beer:

Ubi should do a remaster version of all their games (starting with this one), they have the money.

I wouldn’t mind giving this a try. Dark Messiah is one of the few game I’ve enjoyed that had first person melee combat.

Hi-Def Kicking! :D. I have always been critical of the (lack of depth of the) game, but also always loved playing it because the (horribly balanced) combat system was just SO freaking cool!

I've never played the game actually. Might be about time I remedied that? If I also get to drink beer while playing even better.

I wouldn't bother. I mean it was kind of fun when it came out (had a lot of balance issues); but today there are better games. Then again it can never hurt if you really want to…
-
I forget the details but basically like MM X; the publisher quickly killed support.

I've never played the game actually. Might be about time I remedied that? If I also get to drink beer while playing even better.

Balance isn't really a thing in a singleplayer campaign?

What I remember is early source engine being a technical mess. Game was buggy!

It still is. I just finished reinstalling it and playing the prologue. The tutorial level ran fine, but it promptly crashed back to the desktop while loading the next level. :-/

I have to say though, for a decade+ old game, it's aged quite well visually.

Best melee combat in any out-of-the-box PC game I remember. Maybe on par with the Deadly Reflex mod for Oblivion.
Although, I have never played the likes of Absolver or For Honor.

It isn't a thing with regards to competing with other players but fights are unpredictable with difficulty. It has been a *long* time since i played and most of what i remember is combat was trivial; the story and level design was really well done and I saw no reason to play it again.

Balance isn't really a thing in a singleplayer campaign?

It still is. I just finished reinstalling it and playing the prologue. The tutorial level ran fine, but it promptly crashed back to the desktop while loading the next level. :-/

I have to say though, for a decade+ old game, it's aged quite well visually.
Ahh, glad to see you can still get the authentic DM experience in 2020! =)
It isn't a thing with regards to competing with other players but fights are unpredictable with difficulty. It has been a *long* time since i played and most of what i remember is combat was trivial; the story and level design was really well done and I saw no reason to play it again.
Yeah, it was kind of like Dishonored where it gives you lots of options that can end up making the combat trivial. If you just went at every fight with a sword you'd have a much harder time than if you played smart and used the environment and stealth a lot.

For example, the rug beside the bed in this picture pops out for me:
60-1578514739-1887623875.png

Unfortunately texture packs are usually done by people, who think they are talented. In a real game studio all these new textures go through the Art Director, who - if unsatisfied - tells the artist to further modify them so the textures fit better into the overall outlook and artistic style of the game.

In case of a simple guy, who puts new textures into the game with whatever method, all the quality-assurance & art direction process is missing!! Basically texture packs FCK UP the games original visual style.

Unfortunately texture packs are usually done by people, who think they are talented.

Careful with statements like these… We have modders in our midst. :D
I can't agree nor disagree though as I never bother downloading additional textures.

Back
Top Bottom