Deus Ex: The Fall - Review @ PCGamesN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGamesN has the first review for the PC version of Deus Ex: The Fall that I could find. The site gave the game a score of 6/10 which basically means it's an average game.

In The Fall, NFusion have taken a scalpel to to Human Revolution’s template, collected together a pile of game meat - the essential giblets of a Deus Ex game - stitched it together and presented you with a serving. It’s recognisably Deus Ex but it’s not very appetising. NFusion get an extra point for not including a single boss fight.
More information.

A bit harsh I think...

Sure, the game has some rough edges and looks a little simple/dated in certain areas. However, if you liked "Human Revolution" then I think this is worth your time, it almost feels like an unpolished expansion to that game.

I´ve played it for 8 hours now, having some decent hacking/sneaking/exploring fun, and I estimate I have quite a while to go before I reach the end credits.

Not too shabby for a 9,99€ price tag, if it had been priced at 29/39/45 euros *then* I would have had an easier time agreeing with the critical voices.

Because of my ME replay (in fact I'm onto something like getting the whole ME experience, will write about it in "finished" thread when I'm done) I didn't start The Fall yet.

But since it's saturday, and I've installed it the day it was released, I'm gonna play it now. 8+ hours you say? Sounds more than good.
Will definetly post some more about it later today or tomorrow.

Actually… Arrrgh!
Finished it. I'm not going to post in "finished" thread, but here.

Positives first.

The game is very familiar with DX:HR which means if you like that game you'll like the playstyle in this one too, I love when subs are turned on by default like here and the music is again top notch. Spotted only three really not important bugs
two mobs disappeared on reload, sometimes you can't loot a hostile after takedown when he is dropped inside a wall or whatnot, you won't get an questing achievement if you warn Alvarez since it counts as quest failed while it shouldn't since after you get a reward from him you can still grab his datapad.
And that's… It.

Negatives?

1. Bloody Facebook integration. If I wanted to play Candy Crush on Facebook, I'd play Candy Crush on Facebook. Or Pet Society. Do you hear Square Enix? If you want to sell Facebook games, sell them on Facebook, not on Steam!

2. Main menu option of More content. Hello SquareE, I'm not buying DLC! Sell it to your mother. Besides I got almost every skill unlocked, what could I possibly do in DLC?

3. While I'm not graphics whore, Icarus animation is a dissapointment and since you can't climblike in DX:HR, that skill is practically useless and you see it only in two cutscenes. Lame! Yes, this means level design also got hurt and is not nearly as good as in DX:HR.

4. The game on me was 9 hours long - explored everything, killed nothing and left no stone unturned. No, it's not I'm complaining on the total playtime, for only 10€ it's okay. However, once you finish it, instead of THE END, it says: TO BE CONTINUED. And not a single thing open in the story got resolved. Did I mention I'm not buying DLC?

Can't put 1 because it's polished and there is some fun to have with here, but can't be generous either:
2/10

ME3 perhaps didn't have a "satisfying" ending but at least it had one. This game doesn't have anything even close to an ending but is an intro to another milking DLC:The Game and as such is a scam.
Guys, don't buy this even on sale.

I'm copypasting this on Steam too.

Last edited:
Negatives?

1. Bloody Facebook integration. If I wanted to play Candy Crush on Facebook, I'd play Candy Crush on Facebook. Or Pet Society. Do you hear Square Enix? If you want to sell Facebook games, sell them on Facebook, not on Steam!

2. Main menu option of More content. Hello SquareE, I'm not buying DLC! Sell it to your mother. Besides I got almost every skill unlocked, what could I possibly do in DLC?

Two menu options take your score down that low? If those things aren't in the actual gameplay (which you like) I don't see what the big deal is.

I didn't put the score on the gameplay alone, but on the whole game. I mean… I'm dealing with RPG there, a genre that should be more than just a gameplay, different from things like Tetris.

The big deal in my case is that I feel insulted and disgusted with points 1&2 and thus will never go higher with the score on this game.
You may up your score if you believe the score should be based only on gameplay and nothing else.
But I bet you won't put a very high number as while it does contain a similar style as DX:HR, some fun options were cut out.

Thanks Joxer for the heads-up on incomplete story and DLC stuff.

I absolutely hate DLC, except its like an Obsidian DLC (i.e. more like and expansion).

Back
Top Bottom