Lands of Lore - Matt Chatt Retrospective

I'd love to see another style of game similar to the first Lands of Lore game. It had a nice colourful and adventurous vibe to it. Something that seems to be hard to come by these days or maybe it is that nostalgia kicking in again.

Man, me too. Grimrock and M&M X scratched the itch a bit. It's not just the color; they also don't seem to be taking themselves as seriously and trying to be grim like so many modern ones. They were just focused on FUN. Maybe the aesthetic limitations imposed on them by the hardware naturally led them to lighten up the mood. Hm.

Never finished LoL but that's a great game. I don't agree it is better than Dungeon Master, for me DM is still a lot better.

For EoB, a replay attempt failed some year ago, but I have hope there's a great faithful remake of it done in Grimrock and finally finished (well haven't checked since a long time).

Hey Matt, welcome to the boards.

Are you saying MMX was fun? I kept asking that question on another board if MMX had the same whimsy as your typical Might and Magic. And all I got was that people were having fun with their builds but no one ever answered the question if the game had the Might and Magic whimsical nature.

Might and Magic X was definitely fun. But regarding that "whimsy"...I guess in that regards I'd rather compare it with the later M&M Games, which felt more serious.

whimsy

I think that's the right question to be asking. I'd say they almost nailed the whimsy. You have moments where you feel like you're back. I'd like to see about 30% more personality, charm, and occasional goofiness from the party. Your party just doesn't have enough expression like they did in 6. I really think they need to bring back the actors.

Is it just me, or does Matt look like he's doing a Wahooka impression in the above frozen image…oops, wrong game. :)

LOL ! :D

Lands Of Lore … My I think very first RPG … Then came Albion and then the first Realms Of Arcania game … I think …

I gave up Lands Of Lore somewhere in the last castle - and would never have been able to finish it without a guide or cluebook … But I liked it. :) It had a great athmosphere. :)

Back
Top Bottom