Anthem - Playable in Single Player

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
OnlySP reported on a blog post from Casey Hudson about Anthem and the future of Bioware.

As part of BioWare’s Creating World blog, studio General Manager Casey Hudson has stated that the developer’s upcoming title Anthem can be fully enjoyed as a single-player experience.

Since its bombastic showcasing at 2017’s E3, Anthem has always appeared a game destined for multiplayer-only. This image is one Hudson was quick to quash, stating that:

“Even though Anthem is meant to bring out the best parts of playing as part of an online community, [players] can choose to play through the story with only [their] friends, or even on [their] own.”

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

No Casey, it's still MMO and I still won't buy.
But I can suggest posting that blog on Wasteland3 campaign, errr, site?

Being "playable" doesn't mean anything. Adding a couple of cutscenes doesn't make a MOBA a single player game.

Sad thing, it's not even a classic MMO, more like the not even current trend of the shooters with an online lobby and permastats.

But I bet if it was a F2P Battle Royal and mobile first it would still be late to the party.

My interest in this game just increased from 0 to something very small above 0.
Obviously I don't know much about the game. Which RPG elements are planned?

I'm sure this was planned as multiplayer-only. After they saw what happened with Battlefront they reevaluated.

Contrary to common belief (by execs) single-player is not dead. The multiplayer kiddos are only after the next exciting thing so any MMO title can tank two days after release.

Well being playable is not the same as if it was designed to be played as a singleplayer game. Likely there will be a computer controlled bot in the place of human player which is not the same at all.

Devs really should have courrage to go all in or not. This decision won't satisfy singleplayer fans and the multiplayer side will likely just suffer from this decision as they have to allocate resources to make it playable offline...

Supposedly the Old Republic was playable single player also, and as a huge fan of KOTOR 1 & 2, I'd be a prime target for this, but everything I read about the game motivated me to avoid it. I had my MMO phase once, playing UO, Ashron's Call and World of Warcraft, and while the later especially could be played single player at lower levels, it never captured the single player experience. I'm not sure who exactly an MMO with some last minute thoughts for single players is supposed to appeal to. I also skipped TES online. There are too many decent single players games out there for me to want to solo an MMO.

This is bad news for me. I'm sick of MMOs that became toss-away husks after a couple months because their design caters to introverts who want to play a MULTIPLAYER genre by themselves.

Yes as said already playable as single-player is not the same as designed for single-player. It's the same excuse used for the Old Republic when it was announced.

Which RPG elements are planned?

All we know about the game is solo to 4 player co-op possible, dynamic open world and flying mech suits with a gameplay video showing some combat in co-op. RPG is also mentioned, but not in what capacity.

Lots of people have opinions about lots of features never mentioned by the developers though.

Supposedly the Old Republic was playable single player also, and as a huge fan of KOTOR 1 & 2, I'd be a prime target for this, but everything I read about the game motivated me to avoid it. I had my MMO phase once, playing UO, Ashron's Call and World of Warcraft, and while the later especially could be played single player at lower levels, it never captured the single player experience. I'm not sure who exactly an MMO with some last minute thoughts for single players is supposed to appeal to. I also skipped TES online. There are too many decent single players games out there for me to want to solo an MMO.

I have greatly enjoyed every Bioware single-player RPG from BG1 through the present (fanboi here). I tried The Old Republic and, while it is valid as a single-player game, I only enjoyed it for a very short time before disliking all of the MMO elements such as enemies re-spawning within a few minutes.

I am not looking forward to Anthem but as with most any unknown game I will wait for release before deciding.

Interesting. The initial gameplay reveal showcased a multiplayer focused design concept. I wonder how an engaging single player experience would fit into all of this (and I do mean engaging, not a shoehorned afterthought).

There was a time when I would invest in one MMO between single player games, and I do greatly appreciate the fun I had with the two I played. Unfortunately, I no longer have the time, desire, or patience to willingly adjust myself into another - I reserve all that for single player experiences now. I'll look back on those days and relish the memories of them, though.

Back
Top Bottom