Baldur's Gate for iPad

Have any of you played the iPad version of this great game? Why are there dots at the beginning of the game in that fountain before you talk to your female companion and the mentor?

Last edited:
Yes. Its passable but the controls are definitely better with a mouse. The dots are artifacts from the transparency effects used in the engine.

I haven't finished replay it but beside some very minor glitch that all have a way to avoid them, for me it's a quite excellent version on Mac, and in my language ie not English it's more clean than what I ever got by applying the mods. Without to mention that I hate all the hassle those mods installation was. I don't understand at all all the whining about this release. Also the mods force some choices I didn't like, the walking lightning speed. Moreover if the path finder isn't perfect it seemed to me quite better than the original which was far to be perfect.

And obviously it makes it playable on Mac again. For BG2 this will even be a never released before for the BG2 addon. I think it's also the case for BG1 addon but I'm less sure.

I found the touch controls too annoying to continue playing it. To be fair though I don't game on my ipad so someone that games regularly may find it bearable.

Also the slow downs with AOE spells is unacceptable and I have the latest ipad with the a6x processor.

Too bad because I thought it would be great to be able to have BG to play anywhere. The PC version it the only way to go IMO.

Yes. Its passable but the controls are definitely better with a mouse. The dots are artifacts from the transparency effects used in the engine.

Does only the ipad have this artifact or all versions? Ad why couldnt it handle transparency?

Its weird how lazy those developers are, or the new ones not the original team. The new tam that designed it as a budget remake. However, its still good on the iPad and the water fountain dots is the only graphical glitch I have encountered thus far. But all th need to do is fix a few things like that on movement scrion and it would be perfect. Its not that many fixs they just dont seem to want to be bothered or updte it anymore.

Btw, read this comment below the review:
http://www.touchgen.net/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-review-2

"Unless you HAVE to play on an iPad...
There's nothing new beside the ton of bugs and crash. Anyone who played Baldur's gate knows that the "enhanced" edition is just a rip-off. You will get the same content with better fixes, graphics and no crash if you install the original Baldur's gate and install BGTUTU.

If what you're into are the new portraits, there's already thousands of them on the internet!

It's frustrating to see a classic RPG being ripped off like this.

People who never played Baldur's gate will think they did a great job, when it's all a lie. The modders online had already done all that job for free, all they did was decimating cutscenes and recolor the interface to keep people from complaining about being ripped-off.

They said they "cleaned" the code but really they just tampered with it, causing bugs and crashes. The code was fine, the game was fine, all we were hoping for was more content.

Now they are talking about doing the same to Baldur's gate 2 and eventually making a Baldur's gate 3.

So basically they are going to fiddle with the code here and there, recolor a few things and add a quest or two along with the required NPCs then resell the same game to make enough money to start working on Baldur's gate 3.

I have to remind you that this Baldur's gate 3 would not be produced by Interplay\BlackIsle but by BeamDog\Overhaul Games.

Also as a reminder, websites containing detailed informations about Baldur's Gate are being shut down one after the other. The company not only has bad ethics, they are also fighting against the old community we've built over the time. Gibberlings website was shut down and wiki pages are being removed.
The only website I know of that is still alive is PlayitHardcore.

I will not support a company like that and I encourage you not to either.

The only thing they did right is converting the game for iPad."

Wtf is wrong with those devs? Well, the Gibberlings 3 website seems to be functioning today If the BG remakers did attempt a shutdown of modder sites, it's rotten but utterly predictable. As long as the masses gobble up remakes and regurgitation, you can expect corporate muscle and threats to move on in. Bread and circuses all the way.

Does only the ipad have this artifact or all versions? Ad why couldnt it handle transparency?

All video game engines are basically giant bundles of compromises. Sometimes the compromises are more visible than others. Ill be honest, despite playing the game half a dozen times on a variety of systems, I never really noticed it. But now that its been pointed out, it was there the whole time. I would call it a mole hill, and a small one at that.

I really didn't have any issues playing ... but since I love playing on iPad in general I guess that makes sense.

I really didn't have any issues playing … but since I love playing on iPad in general I guess that makes sense.

I agree, but it doesnt mean it shouldnt be better. Just because it is the best we have doesnt mean we cant complain either does it?

I agree, but it doesnt mean it shouldnt be better. Just because it is the best we have doesnt mean we cant complain either does it?

It is a port of a 15 year old game on a platform that has had a few years to mature. Having it execute to near perfection is not an unrealistic goal.

How do you guys tellhow much esperiende you have and need for the next level for eah character and how to tell what time it is in the game?

How do you guys tellhow much esperiende you have and need for the next level for eah character and how to tell what time it is in the game?

Character Record - 5th button down on the left. Class stats are to the right of the character portrait. The very very stats on the list are current class levels, experience points, and experience needed for next level.

Time is told by the icon in the lower left of the main screen - It is also the pause button. If you look closely you can seen a sun and a moon icon that scroll as time passes. On the PC version if you held your mouse over this button a tooltip with the exact hour would appear. I'm not sure if there is a way to duplicate this on the ipad or not.

Last edited:
Because most of us guys don't give two shits about how they adapted if or iOS. They did a great job on the PC version and so I'm completely happy with it.

Yeah, I'm very happy with the PC version. They pretty much patched all major issues in the weeks after releasing the game, so the current state is great.

Because most of us guys don't give two shits about how they adapted it for iOS. They did a great job on the PC version and so I'm completely happy with it.

And the iOS version works fine as well.

I think they did a decent enough job - I just don't think it was worth the money for PC.

But I believe we've been through that :)

I think they did a decent enough job - I just don't think it was worth the money for PC.

But I believe we've been through that :)

Yes, but our dear friend the pseudo-bot felt a need I guess .

I told you guys I wasnt the only one thinking atrent aolson did a horrible job porting the game to the iPad:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Top+5+iPad+charts/feature.asp?c=51380

"This is mainly to make up for the disappointing job that was done on the first Baldur's Gate conversion. However, Baldur's Gate II also deserves its place on this list as it's often considered one of the best RPGs ever made."

Lol pwn3d. That guy with his ego deserves rhis trying to show it off on the iPad from the get go when he showed no love or care for the platform like most of you fuys here.

Back
Top Bottom