Dark Souls III - Officially announced

What I meant there was that the more you play chess, the better you get since you will learn from your mistakes and improve your skill level. Obviously this is subject to diminishing returns but this process of playing lot of games can be considered "grinding" by some people. The main point I was trying to make there was grinding in such cases can be very enjoyable to some people since they see their skill level improves and that lot of fun :) Therefore grinding in DS games can be fun too since the more you die the better you get subject to diminishing returns.

I think you're making my point for me ;)

If you enjoy the grinding in DS - you'll enjoy DS. I don't enjoy the grinding, so I don't enjoy DS.

The issue here is that SirJames and others don't seem to accept that the game takes a lot of investment and work - which includes a SHIT load of fighting the same enemies over and over and over.

The very definition of grinding.

Now, a lot of games have elements of that - but most games don't take away progress due to trivial mistakes. Most RPGs have a more coherent story - and a lot of them have better exploration.

It all comes down to what you enjoy playing.

Dark Souls and all the others, including Lord of the Fallen, are all driven by a very defined and rigid formula.

The levels are beautiful, the combat is excellent, the balance is very good - and so on.

Lots of nice aspects if you don't care about story and what I consider to be meaningful exploration - and you don't mind working ten times harder for your progress than you do in other games that have much better content.

Unless you consider mostly empty levels with limited interaction, constant combat and ridiculously over-the-top boss encounters superior content.

I think you're making my point for me ;)

If you enjoy the grinding in DS - you'll enjoy DS. I don't enjoy the grinding, so I don't enjoy DS.

The issue here is that SirJames and others don't seem to accept that the game takes a lot of investment and work - which includes a SHIT load of fighting the same enemies over and over and over.

Now, a lot of games have elements of that - but most games don't take away progress due to trivial mistakes. Most RPGs have a more coherent story - and a lot of them have a LOT better exploration.

It all comes down to what you enjoy playing.

Oh yes I agree. I am not arguing with you there at all. My initial question was to understand your thought process more than to argue with you :)

I don't believe SirJames is arguing DS don't require lot of time investment to get good at it. I think the the issue here is the use of the terminology "grinding".

Oh yes I agree. I am not arguing with you there at all. My initial question was to understand your thought process more than to argue with you :)

I don't believe SirJames is arguing DS don't require lot of time investment to get good at it. I think the the issue here is the use of the terminology "grinding".

I can't force people to understand what grinding means :)

I know what a grind is. I've powerleveled fishing and cooking in WoW. :p

You must have enjoyed WoW all the same, though :)

I know I did for 3 years, until I realised how pointless the grind was.

But I focused on my role as DPS and mastered it. I never bought into the value of fishing and cooking. That's for people who might also buy into the Dark Souls formula being worth it ;)

j/k

Never forgot the lies and downgrade of Dark Souls 2. Hence, I recommend not trusting what they say. I'll hold out slight hope the game might live up to all the promises of Dark Souls 2…but we'll see…

Dark Souls games are a lot like platformers. Take Super Mario Bros for the NES as an example. You have to get competent enough to clear through any individual stage before you can move on to the next one. Make a mistake and die and you get to start the level all over again, with all enemies and obstacles reset. It's no wonder so many people love Dark Souls because it's rooted in a tried and true gameplay mechanic.

Dark Souls games are a lot like platformers. Take Super Mario Bros for the NES as an example. You have to get competent enough to clear through any individual stage before you can move on to the next one. Make a mistake and die and you get to start the level all over again, with all enemies and obstacles reset. It's no wonder so many people love Dark Souls because it's rooted in a tried and true gameplay mechanic.

It's hardly a platformer. Talk about extrapolating one detail! It has more to do with retro-RPGs of the 90's than Mario.

Those had jump puzzles... Even LOL2-3.

It's hardly a platformer. Talk about extrapolating one detail! It has more to do with retro-RPGs of the 90's than Mario.

Those had jump puzzles… Even LOL2-3.

It's 'like' a platformer, as in similar - not exactly.

Yep, when I played it, megaman came to mind. Die over and over until you get to the boss and then die and repeat. I really liked megaman's too.

I like DS1 &2 and ESPECIALLY Bloodborne. But they are barely RPGs. Other than specializing one way or another, they are pure action games.

Nothing wrong with that!

I agree. I love the games, but role-playing I am not.

Interesting. I never thought of it like that, but it is the same general mechanic. My brain has been conditioned since the original Super Mario to love the Souls series.

There's a little bit of info on videogamer.com

Dark Souls 3 won't be the final game in the Souls series, game director Hidetaka Miyazaki has clarified.

However, it will be a "turning point" for both the future of the franchise and From Software, with future games potentially set to abandon the series' trademark dark fantasy theme.

and

Dark Souls 3 is being developed by a different development team to Bloodborne, director Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed, with only Miyazaki and "some visual designers" at From Software having worked across both titles.

gossip off reddit said:
it has been in development for 2 years and that Miyazaki joined after the prototype was finished.. the director of dark souls two was in charge before that and now they are both directing dark souls 3 together. This bodes well for fans of dark souls 2 pvp. Also, I can confirm that your secondary weapon is visible on your character, it seems only 1 secondary weapon at a time though. Also, when he picked up his first extra weapon he was able to switch to it immediately.. there was no hub available so maybe it won't be as fluid when there is a hub, but I feel like there might be some sort of quick way to try out weapons you just picked up now.

Back
Top Bottom