Space Hulk: Tactics - Genestealer Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The pre-order beta begins September 25th on Steam for Space Hulk: Tactics.

Space Hulk: Tactics pre-order beta begins on Steam September 25 - watch the Genestealer trailer now! Focus Home Interactive and Cyanide Studio are proud to announce the pre-order beta for Space Hulk: Tactics will begin on Steam tomorrow, Tuesday, September 25. A faithful adaptation of the classic Warhammer 40,000 board game of Man versus Alien in desperate battle, Space Hulk: Tactics brings new twists to the formula along with extensive customisation, two full campaigns, and much more.

In today’s trailer we profile the Genestealers, the festering malice at the heart of the Space Hulk, ready to cut down any and all Space Marine Terminators that come aboard. Their strategies and playstyle are completely different, creating truly asymmetrical multiplayer. Using their numbers and agility to their advantage, the Genestealers are a more aggressive force, but one with less options on how to handle each situation. In the Steam pre-order beta, players can look forward to playing the Genestealers and the Terminators, in skirmish and multiplayer across five maps.

Also available is the full customisation system and the map editor, letting the creatives in the community get started early on new creations and master plans. A preview of each faction’s campaign will also be playable, serving both as a tutorial and a taste of what awaits in the full game. Save games will be compatible with the release version, so players can immediately continue their mission on October 9. The pre-order bonuses will also be available in the beta, giving access to second founding chapters and other alternate versions of the base game’s Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, and Ultramarines chapters.

The pre-order beta will run up until the launch of the game, with regular updates to address bugs and balance issues as reported by the community. On launch day, October 9, players will gain access to more official maps as well as the two complete, massive single-player campaigns. All Steam pre-orders have a 10% discount up until launch and will give instant access to the beta, as well as the pre-order cosmetics. The Space Hulk: Tactics pre-order beta begins September 25 on Steam. The game releases on Xbox One, PS4, and PC on October 9.
More information.

Seems any two bit developer can make a below average game for money. When will Games Workshop wake up and respect the WarHammer & WarHammer 40K license.

I hope(d) this will be a good one. No?
Maybe but I'm like this because of constant disappointment. Though Relic made a few good strategy games but blew it, and Creative Assembly made two good war games.

The rest are either Card games or Phone ported games of no interest. I'm still waiting for a RPG that isn't online either. As they tried that but the game was shutdown eventually.

Last edited:
Also available is the full customisation system and the map editor, letting the creatives in the community get started early on new creations and master plans.
For some reason, this word really bugs me. Who wants to be called a 'creative'? Isn't that synonymous with 'unemployable'?

I mentioned in another thread that I'd dug out some old books. One of them is the original Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader. In that first book it was a proper RPG, rather than a tabletop war game. It's really good stuff - sort of Lovecraft crossed with Frank Herbert's Dune, filtered through H.R. Giger. The right people really could make a phenomenal CRPG with that material.

I don't come with any lore from Warhammer, just a couple of the (mostly) crappy computer games they've made out of it. This game looks like too much of a literal translation of a board game for me. I prefer AI on my computer, rather than flipping cards. Perhaps that's mostly just an aesthetic, but I can't seem to get over it.

...from the guy who loves a game with tiny busts representing the units. :p

I mentioned in another thread that I'd dug out some old books. One of them is the original Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader. In that first book it was a proper RPG, rather than a tabletop war game.
Was meant to be a TT game and was from the start. Actually, GW stuck for long from porting the W40K universe into RPG.
It's really good stuff - sort of Lovecraft crossed with Frank Herbert's Dune, filtered through H.R. Giger. The right people really could make a phenomenal CRPG with that material.
Classical GW beat. Patchwork products.
Capt. Huggy Face;1061531336 This game looks like too much of a literal translation of a board game for me.[/QUOTE said:
No. The board game is tension.

That's somewhat true about 40K, but the original edition was quite different to what it became. It was always focused on tactics battles, but, to quote the wiki:

The gameplay of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader differs from its main modern-day descendant, in that it was heavily role-play-oriented, with great detail placed on weaponry and vehicles and the inclusion of a third player (the Game Master) in battles, a role not dissimilar from the Dungeon Master of Dungeons and Dragons.

That's somewhat true about 40K, but the original edition was quite different to what it became. It was always focused on tactics battles, but, to quote the wiki:

Seriously Ripper, the wiki has to be wrong. Because Chien never is.

Heh. Well, he's not entirely wrong. It didn't have a character development system, so, in that sense, it wasn't a traditional RPG. But we certainly managed to play it very much like one, with campaigns, playing the roles of various commanders, and a DM. As it evolved in later editions, it became much more of a pure wargame.

Seriously Ripper, the wiki has to be wrong. Because Chien never is.

People are wrong when they are wrong.

The quote smells of the claim that roleplaying in a RPG is combat.
This gives that small scale battles (skirmishes) are RPGs while large scale battles are Wargames.

RT was never meant to be a RPG,never was designed as a RPG and to be played as a RPG.

RT was intended to support small scale to large scale battles. Hence the single mini approach. People could field custom armies. This led to multiple troubles like heavy balance issues (supposed dealt by the third party player who had to work as an arbiter) and games ground to a halt on larger scale as there were so many single situation to roll for.

WH40k covered the issues by providing templates for armies with standardized sizes of units (squads) etc
This fitted quite well GW agenda as they were mini sellers.

Later, when Warzone was introduced as potential competition, they tried to bank on Rogue Trader's nostalgia as the game was similar in approach to RT, single mini based and not squad based as WH40k.
WZ second edition followed the same path.

Heh. Well, he's not entirely wrong. It didn't have a character development system, so, in that sense, it wasn't a traditional RPG. But we certainly managed to play it very much like one, with campaigns, playing the roles of various commanders, and a DM. As it evolved in later editions, it became much more of a pure wargame.

In any wargame, people can play the role of a commander.

Any TT skirmish game with a low mini count was led to acting, giving personalities to minies etc

Or when human beings are no longer considered human beings.

The result of two century of institutionalized double standards.

Space marines are basically superhumans, improved in every aspect, including movement speed, right? Those heavy armored suits also should enhance speed via their servos, IIRC. So why is their movement animation is SHT like if they were carrying trucks on their shoulders??? It seems I remember it correctly. They should be much faster!!!!

Back
Top Bottom