Today is ...

Today's picture on Wikipedia is the Parkes Observatory@DownUnder, a radio telescope which was essensial for receiving signals from the moon during the first hours after landing.

BTW: One of the nice things about today is that most watchers won't have the slightest idea about where they were back then, and for the huge majority this is not due to old age. Muahahahahaha!!!!!!

pibbur who wonders where the corwin was. Assuming that he knows. :)

Last edited:
20 July Plot
On 20 July 1944, Claus von Stauffenberg and other conspirators attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler, Führer of Nazi Germany, inside his Wolf's Lair field headquarters near Rastenburg, East Prussia. The name Operation Valkyrie—originally referring to part of the conspiracy—has become associated with the entire event.

The apparent aim of the assassination attempt was to wrest political control of Germany and its armed forces from the Nazi Party (including the SS) and to make peace with the Western Allies as soon as possible. The details of the conspirators' peace initiatives remain unknown, but they would have included unrealistic demands for the confirmation of Germany's extensive annexations of European territory.

The plot was the culmination of efforts by several groups in the German resistance to overthrow the Nazi German government. The failure of the assassination attempt and the intended military coup d'état that was to follow led the Gestapo to arrest more than 7,000 people, of whom they executed 4,980.

Today's picture on Wikipedia is the Parkes Observatory@DownUnder, a radio telescope which was essensial for receiving signals from the moon during the first hours after landing.

BTW: One of the nice things about today is that most watchers won't have the slightest idea about where they were back then, and for the huge majority this is not due to old age. Muahahahahaha!!!!!!

pibbur who wonders where the corwin was. Assuming that he knows. :)

I was watching it at home on my parents black and white TV, totally enthralled by the entire event!! :)

A few months ago, when stepping out of the bus, I invented a reverse saying of that : "A big step for me, but a small one for humankind !"
I'm physically not very big, so some steps that are normal for normally grown people can be a bit bigger for me.
It's a thing like having to fetch something from the top tier of the grocery shelves. Or in a bookstore.

Happy social media day.

Yeeeeech!!!!!

a pibbur who was told about this by bitdefender.

PS.
sharing_options.png

DS.

Pi day (03.14)

We had pie for dinner. And when I enter my exercise bike in a while I'm going to watch "pi" on Netflix.

an incarnation of pibbur who observes that e day is not possible using the american way of writing dates.

To be fair, e would be difficult in most date notations, even though it claims to be natural ;)

Here, many colleagues would just look at me puzzled when I mention pi day. But Star Wars day, May 4th, is fine for those who're at ease with English ;)

</geek>

Maybe a slice of Cherry and Dutch Apple for me.:drool:

I often wonder, how comes that physics was so ... "twisted" ... that a number like Pi came into existence in the first place ?

I often wonder, how comes that physics was so … "twisted" … that a number like Pi came into existence in the first place ?
Pi can be defined purely mathematically, you don't need physics for it. Therefore, if you feel that Pi is twisted, then logic itself is twisted. :cool:

Pi can be defined purely mathematically, you don't need physics for it. Therefore, if you feel that Pi is twisted, then logic itself is twisted. :cool:

All math was made through sheer physics, imho, at the Big Bang. I regard the BIg Bang as something entirely physical, from which everything evolved, hence my view.

Even mathematics must have "evolved" somehow, or, simply, "put into existence". And I blame physics for that. :p

Besides, now I'm hungry for apple pies … *drool*

pi is defined as the circumference of any circle divided by its diameter in flat (= Euclidean) space.
That definition can be made in any universe!

If you have more complex spaces or surfaces, pi is still perfectly well-defined even though the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter in that space may not be equal to pi.

Never underestimate Pibbur's database of never-dead threads!

Although this current topic far exceeds the merits of the previous one, social media day?? That's like a total put-on, right?

They are all made up and don’t apply in many countries, ethnicities etc. I suspect the Scandinavians are more focused as there isn’t much else to do during the l-o-o-o-o-ng dark winters. (Yes I’m thinking of you @a pibbur;

Back
Top Bottom