Non-RPG franchise turned into RPG?

Apart from Aliens and a proper LOTR RPG (the best one is still probably LOTR Online, which i did play quite a bit back in the days), i'd really like a Mad Max RPG. We do have the Fallouts, but Mad Max is quite different since there's quite a big focus on the vehicles. There's Mad Max from Avalanche (which i've played for a bit) which everyone seems to like, but its not a proper RPG.

I agree, it's amazing that we haven't gotten a proper non-MMO LotR game in all these years.

I guess Dragon Age is sort of in the same realm, in some ways. At least the first one had a strong Tolkien feel - and the lore was good.

That said, I actually quite enjoyed War in the North - which, while it's an action RPG, did have quite a bit of Tolkien flavor and a decent take on his world, all things considered.

It's the perfect rainy sunday afternoon game, if you take my meaning :)

LotRO is one of my favorite MMOs - and I keep wishing for something more up to date.

As for Mad Max, that definitely isn't for me - but to each his own :)

Indiana Jones.
Or did I miss something ?

Besides, there's even a p&p rules set for Deponia out there …

I would love to see a Half Life RPG. Open world game set in City 17. Sadly, it's not going to happen.

Indiana Jones, hell yes, i'd play that. Tons of cool characters, interesting locations, interesting quests and jobs to do, good range of villains and mobs to fight.. Never imagined them as RPG's but i'd say it would be really cool!

Half Life, yeah, i can see how it could borrow from games like System Shock 2. More like a RPG shooter.

Lost in Space would be fun. A crew of 1-5 landing on a planet after catastrophic failure of the ship.

Maybe James Bond turned into a rpg, I could go for that.

There is also Star Trek, (not the new garbage but I'm talking Next Generation and Deep Space Nine era) but that would require probably still too advanced technology to do it justice as a game. It would be a dream though, to have it made into a rpg. Start out as a cadet in the academy and then go on various missions and ships, from a lowly freighter when you are low ranked all the way up to serving aboard the flagship Enterprise when you get high level.

Yes, I linked it 6 posts back :D

There was also one in the late 80s.
If it was in one of the lengthier replies of you, then that is the reason I missed it :)

There is also Star Trek, (not the new garbage but I'm talking Next Generation and Deep Space Nine era) but that would require probably still too advanced technology to do it justice as a game. It would be a dream though, to have it made into a rpg. Start out as a cadet in the academy and then go on various missions and ships, from a lowly freighter when you are low ranked all the way up to serving aboard the flagship Enterprise when you get high level.

What advanced technology would you need for that? That sounds doable, unless you start to desire a complexity level like Star Citizen promises. So if you want this to be a completely open simulation of (for example) federation space: nah. Too complex. But why not something more streamlined/abstracted, following the formula of Mass Effect (or whatever other scifi game you want to use as a template)? That would work I think.

Else, I'd also be fine with a squad-based isometric RPG, following what Star Trek Away Team did.

Well, STO sort of does all that already.

It's not bad, as MMOs go - though it's not exactly great, either.

Lost in Space would be fun. A crew of 1-5 landing on a planet after catastrophic failure of the ship.
That would be serious trouble. I would have to romance Penny. Grade-school-me would never forgive me if I missed that chance! However, since Penny is only 14 years old, the morality of doing so would be such that even Dr. Smith would be spitting on me in disgust.

Maybe it could be a sequel type game? Jupter's crew finds a nice planet to live on for about 10 years then Penny's pet Bloop "tragically" dies. Penny, distraught, flies off in the Jupiter 2 by herself and gets lost because, well, this is a 60's show so women going off by themselves always need rescuing. Yeah!

well, this is a 60's show so women going off by themselves always need rescuing. Yeah!

I was thinking more along the lines of the remake, since it deals with many more people than just the Robinsons. Dr. Smith is a girl convict this time. I think Penny is 16 or so in this one and Will is 11. There are enough changes in the new one to more match up with today's reality.

Robot is cool in the reboot too. Looks like Netflix picked it up for season two, so we'll get more of these this fall/winter.

I can't imagine a robot that was more cool. Except maybe Johnny Sokko's Giant Robot... oh! No, that wouldn't be a good RPG series at all. I feel silly enough fighting dragons with swords - fighting Godzilla sized monsters would be crazy. Maybe it could be a BattleTech mod or something.

Oh! Land of the Lost would be great fun as an RPG! Especially if I get to slaughter Cha-Ka in the tutorial.

I feel silly enough fighting dragons with swords - fighting Godzilla sized monsters would be crazy. Maybe it could be a BattleTech mod or something.
Hm, maybe a Warhammar 40k mod for Battletech, with some fancy Titan engines? I'd be interested in that. There are some pretty huge monsters in that universe. :)

I'd love to see a bonafide Western RPG. Not an action game with RPG elements (which is more or less what RDR2 is), and not a isometric tactics game like Desperados and the upcoming game from Mimimi, but an actual RPG. I don't think I'd want it to be based on any existing Western, though. In general, I would like to see more RPGs in genres other than fantasy and post-apocalyptic Earth.

One existing property I've always loved and that I would be very intriuged to see turned into an RPG is the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. I use "Corwin" all the time to this day (I would have done so here but you already had a Corwin). It would be a very fertile blend of intrigue/diplomacy and plane-hopping adventure.

RDR2 has RPG elements?

Not in the sense of leveling up or perks or anything like that, but it's certainly not (just) an action game. It's built largely around inhabiting a character in that world and acting accordingly. A lot of people who play that game don't even do story missions. They just wander around, hunt, buy new clothes and other stuff, and chat with random passers-by. It's role-playing in the purest sense: a sandbox that encourages and empowers you to play a role.

Back
Top Bottom