2K Games - XCOM Announcement at Gamescom 2013

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamespot has a report that 2K confirmed that there will be a new XCOM announcement during Gamescom 2013.

Publisher 2K has confirmed that a new title, which is believed to be titled XCOM: Enemy Within, will be announced during Gamescom 2013.

2K's formal announcement will be made on August 21.

XCOM: Enemy Within was previously spotted on South Korea's rating board (spotted by CVG), with listings for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

No details about the title, such as whether it is DLC for XCOM: Enemy Unknown or an entirely new game, were provided.

Civilization maker Firaxis developed 2012's XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which received both critical and commercial success. The game has recently been released on iOS devices.

During PAX East in March, Firaxis teased a new project that looked similar to XCOM.
More information.

Since it says it is for the Xbox 360 and PS3 it is likely a DLC since they would be announcing it for the Xbox One and PS4 instead.

Certainly don't hope so. The game was too streamlined for my taste.

Disagree, I'd love me some more XCOM: EU. Never played the earlier versions, but this game was a blast for me, if not a bit frustrating at times (some of the physics/cover zones were f'ed up). Unfortunately I don't hold out hope that they've decided to expand it. If you read the forums you'd see that the producers have seemingly abandoned the game— no patches, no communication on the boards, etc.

The bottom line is that:
1) The game has needed a patch to fix some of the major issues since day 1, yet it has not come, which many suspect means it's unfixable.

2) There was such negative outcry for their first "significant" DLC, Slingshot, that it apparently halted any further DLC development in its tracks, and silence began from Firaxis.

It's quite possible that any previous plans for an expansion will just be marketed as a new game, with aforementioned fixes. Considering how lucrative Enemy Unknown was for them, it seems like a solid financial plan, like it or not.

Back
Top Bottom