Top 10 RPGs of the last decade

Awesome analysis @lackblogger;, kudos.

I don't actually dislike AAA action RPG's though, I've played and enjoyed most of them (TW3 being an exception). They just aren't my favourites, apart from some notable exceptions like MW and FO:NV.

Edit: And DA:O is far down on my list, it would get high up on my list of biggest dissapointments though…

Last edited:
Awesome analysis @lackblogger;, kudos.

I don't actually dislike AAA action RPG's though, I've played and enjoyed most of them (TW3 being an exception). They just aren't my favourites, apart from some notable exceptions like MW and FO:NV.

Edit: And DA:O is far down on my list, it would get hough up on my list of biggest dissapointments though…

Oh indeed, I imagined as much, just as crpgnut does indeed play some party-based games and Danutz does indeed play the odd RPG. I myself have a pathological dislike of AAA action RPGs, but for reasons of control rather than content, the twitch nature of combat is something I'm just crap at, so why torture myself. But if I was good at that kind of thing, then games like Bloodborne are everything I could ever want from a game.

I also think its a good analysis. I remember when I played DA:O, that I liked it. It had a nice story, decent mechanics, and a few memorable characters. But. . . I had seen characters like this is Knights of the old Republic, Jade Empire, and BG2. It did nothing "new" in terms of companions. Also the mechanics were fairly simple (not as simple as Jade Empire, but nothing like Baldur'S Gate). The setting was decent, but didn't blow me away. There were some very annoying parts like the fade and the deep roads. I have to say I found the actually Origins part (I played through the game twice) the absolute best part of the game. It was the one thing that stood out to me. It might be fun to go back and actually play through the other origin stories and just not go on to become a grey warden.

Fallout three and Fallout Vegas are, for certain, different and distinct games.

Dragon Age Origins would probably be on my top ten list of all time great games. Since I bought it, it has never left my hard drive. It serves also as a constant reminder to me of the nasty evils that exist, not of the game content per se, rather, publishers and Origin.

I seem to be having difficulty compiling a list of 10 RPGs that I truly enjoyed in the last decade. Truthfully, there are many RPGs I played this year (and last) which released before 2007 that I hadn't touched before. If I could include games that I played for the first time, rather than games that released in the past ten years, I think I'd have a top 10.

I also realized a lot of games I adored in the past 10 years aren't RPGs. Or at least, they have elements of an RPG, but are missing a few key features that would classify them as such.

A couple on my list released toward the end of 2007, so I'll include them as well (but will omit multiples of a series, otherwise it might be unfair to other games). Off the top of my head, since I can't remember anything else:

1. Stardew Valley
2. The Witcher (2007)
3. Mass Effect (2007)
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Dragon Age: Origins

Last edited:
I think a valid conclusion for me after reading this quite interesting thread is simply this: I don't play enough games! :)

Some favourite cRPGs from 2007-2017:

1. Fallout New Vegas
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Legend of Grimrock II
4. Risen
5. Dark Souls
6. The Witcher
7. NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer
8. Avernum: Escape from the Pit
9. Divinity 2: OS
10. Knights of the Chalice

Given that I have yet to play Elex, Original Sin 2, Underrail, Deus-Ex Mankind Divided, Wasteland 2 or even the new Torment - I've certainly got much catching up to do!

Honourable mentions:

Skyrim
Witcher 2
Witcher 3
Lords of Xulima
Eschalon series
Might & Magic X
Shadowrun series (Dragonfall and SR especially)
Drakensang 1&2
Dark Souls 2: SotFS
Mass Effect 1&2
Legend of Grimrock
Avadon series

Well the last 10 years takes one TES out of the equation :)

1. Skyrim
2. Witcher 3
3. Fallout 4
4. Dragon Age Inquisition
5. Risen
6. Lords of Xulima
7. Divinity Original Sin
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Dragons Dogma
10. Avernum Escape from the Pit

FNV just misses out for me, great game but overshadowed by FO4 and too much of a copy of FO3. Gothic 3 is slightly too old but would be in the top 5 or 6 and Elex just misses out as although I really enjoyed it the lack of balance slightly spoiled my first playthrough.

Legend of Grimrock, Torchlight, Borderlands, FF13, PoE, Wasteland 2 all just miss out but worthy of mention.

1) Witcher 3
2) Dragon Age: Origins
3) Witcher 1
4) Fallout: New Vegas
5) Mass Effect
6) Might and Magic X
7) Battle Brothers
8) Lords of Xulima
9) Path of Exile
10) Pillars of Eternity

Other contenders:
Divinity Original Sin 1
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
Legends of Eisenwald
Legend of Grimrock
Expedition: Conquistador
Risen 3
Paper Sorcerer

Oops, I put 7 Days to Die on my list. Not an RPG. Add MM10 in its place for me :)

Dragon Age: Origins was definitely a favorite of mine, even over all time. The sword of truthiness, the epic speech before the final battle, the succubus that was giving a guard the (imaginary) life he always wanted, "have you seen you!?", excellent combat system, killing Sten over and over by having him kill a critter with the walking bomb spell on it, becoming a Grey Warden, Shale & the pigeons...

P.S. I have a pathological dislike of those screens that ask you to press any key. Why? WHY must they exist!? Aaaarrgh!

Technically, Serpents isn't my no.1 game, but atmospherically it's my no.1, as I would say its the closest any game has come to recreating the magic of the Infinity Engine games.

Is it really that good? I have yet to play it; keep procrastinating on that and Age of Decadence.

Is it really that good? I have yet to play it; keep procrastinating on that and Age of Decadence.

Yes, it feels a lot like the first Baldur's Gate, as you start in a sort of enclosed starter area, just you, and then you gradually collect your band of sprites, which can all be replaced via meeting new characters along your journey. Though the characters don't necessarily have a lot to say nor many independent quests. The journey is a complete mixed bag of some good areas, some virtually empty areas and some areas packed with stuff to do. And you can explore in any direction you wish, with some soft and hard blockers.

While it doesn't have the same quantity of variety of builds, the variety of builds it has is enough for the game and you can tailor each character to be both useful and unique, via both build and loot. As usual with low budget independent games, the only real reasons not to like it, if you like the IE style, is the very pixilated graphics, any potentially weird bugs and the steep learning curve of learning a new system.

Fallout 4
Skyrim
Fallout Vegas
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Lords Of Xulima
Might & Magic 10
Divinity Original Sin
Elex
Witcher 1
Risen 3

Because of the game mechanics I could probably play FO4 for the next 10 years. In reality, the top 4 could easily swap places on any given day. And the top 5 are probably in my all time top 10. All 5 were superb gaming experiences and huge, huge time sinks.

I haven't played so many games, especially AAA games.

1. Underrail
2. Age of Decadence
3. The Witcher 2
4. ELEX
5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. Dead State: Reanimated
8. Divinity: Original Sin
9. Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 mod
10. Star Wolves 3: Civil War

4. Might and Magic X
Cool, you have big one, well played. :)

I don't think it will be in my list but close, and I enjoyed a lot chain two full plays.

And thanks for starting this thread list, firstly I'm fascinated by lists, no idea why. Secondly that's will be great to discover RPG I could not have noticed.

I will list my Top 10 choices in alphabetical order:

. Divinity: Original Sin
. Divinity: Original Sin 2
. Dragon Age: Origins
. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The
. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The
. Fallout: New Vegas
. Risen
. Wasteland 2
. Witcher 3, The
. XCOM 2

@Dasale; why did you delete your excellent post listing your top 10 and a host of other lists?

I don't have enough games in the last decade to have a top 10 favorite. But if I had to pick all the games I have played, and finished, in the last 10 years and choose 10 of them in some order this would be it. Two are MMO's but I still consider them RPG as well. I doubt I would come up with the exact same list another time although the first 4 would pretty much always be on it as those 4 are among my top favorites, along with some older games.

Skyrim
Fallout 4
NWN: Mask of the Betrayer
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect Series
Torment: Tides of Numeria
Tyrany
World of Warcraft
Rift

I haven't finished Pillars yet and I stopped playing DOS2 at about 85% done so they can get honorable mention as I like both but since I didn't finish them not going to list them. I also haven't finished ELEX which I also like.

Can't really finish an MMO but I played them long enough and extensively so close-enough.

I lumped all 3 ME games as one since I played them all back to back. Of the three of them I liked the last one best minus the ending. I also enjoyed MEA a lot but not as much as the others I listed.

I could also be forgetting some game I really liked but the ole brain isn't working well enough to pull it up. In fact I suspect that is likely :p

Back
Top Bottom