Completed Two Worlds, my thoughts on it..

@Geist

There's not a whole lot more to be honest. There are a few choices here and there that will have an effect, especially the whole necromancer path will alter quite a bit, and you can decide the outcome of a rebellion. Other than that, I haven't really found any evidence that the world adapts to anything you do. For example, you can't suddenly join the orcs and let them win the war (you can walk among them with a disguise, but you can't talk to them).

SPOILER:
There is a choice at the very end of the game, where you can decide to join or kill the enemy, but this choice is pointless; sure, there's a bit of a difference in the ending, but there is absolutely nothing leading up to this choice, it just comes right out of the blue. It's a simple matter of choosing one option, see that ending, reload, choose the other, watch the other ending.

One of the few disappointments in the game is how little you can affect, and how few choices you really have that will change anything. Maybe I've missed something.

Sad. Now if we all hold hands and chant "choices and consequences" for an hour while sacrificing mint copies of Fallout, maybe some developer will hear us. Meet you all at the stonecircle at midnight :)

Ah, now I understand why the G3 review is taking so long!! :) Bet you lost count several times!! :biggrin:

I found an improvement:
To make our graph look less angular we multiply every value with Pi. :lol: :greengrin: If that doesn´t convince our critics, nothing will. :gorath:

Yep, a definite winner here, even NMA and the Codex will be impressed!! :)

If I was to sum up Two Worlds I'd say its got the scope/breadth of Oblivion, the skill system, items, and combat of a Diablo-like, and the dialogue/exploration feel of Gothic.

I think you just summed up the perfect game there. :D But I'm not sure if I'd give this to Two Worlds, because there are flaws in all three characteristics that the original game you compared it to didn't have. I think Two World lacks a bit of polish here and there; it seems a bit rough on the edges. I don't know, maybe I just couldn't get into it enough yet...

(For example, I'm really bothered by the fact that the lip-sync continues even after the NPC is done talking. It's like one of those synced Japanese martial arts movies. :D)

P.S. The Diablo comparison may well be because of that font they use. It's like the fricking same!! :D

P.P.S. Clipping errors and the fact that I got my horse stuck and unable to move in the first minute I got it when I ran up a slope on the road, confirms unpolished to me! I have to reload to get my horse mobile again. :/

BTW, there is an English review at this site here where Two Worlds scored 22% (you should take a closer look at the site before freaking out over the score... ;) ).

Any reviewer that spends entire paragraphs lamenting the absence of a disable shadows option, his feeble 9 fps (on a self-admitted "old gpu"), using question marks???? like this, and sounding like an angry teenager with mediocre English skills overall gets a 10/10 for reviewing skills from me! :D

Last edited:
To move horses, unmount, walk a few meters away from the horse, and use the "Call Horse" hotkey. The horse will walk over to you almost no matter how stuck it was when you got off it.

Okay, that helps. :) Still seems that stuff like that and more could have been avoided with more development time. Don't take me wrong, I'm still enjoying it! Definitely borrows some from Gothic series.

Yes the whole mount thing is rather annoying. Also, it gets to me that the main character is dumb as a brick quite often. It's really hard to properly "roleplay" a character who answers like a rude idiot most of the time, unless that's the kind of guy you picture yourself as, of course. I feel the main character in Gothic is definetly one of the strengths compared to Two Worlds.

In the german version the main character is not a "rude idiot".

His answers are going in the "lone wolf", "ironical / black humor / Clint Eastwood" directon - sometimes very similar to the german Gothic 3 nameless one character.

Last edited:
In the English version you see the attempts at being similar to the nameless hero, but more often than not his comments end up sounding rather clumsy.

I am amazed at the speed with witch the update patches are being released by the Two Worlds dev's. If the Main problem of ballancing is truely addressed in the next patch ver' 1.4 (in process) the together with all the great info's iv'e read in this thread (thanks Maylander) the game could indeed turn out to be a very highly regarded rpg.

The current German review ratings are round about the 8.5 mark yet i reckon with the next polishing patch at least ratings of 9 will be achieved when the English review ratings begin to roll in. :star:

Last edited:
Alright, played with a straightforward fighter, got to level 30 or so, got a bit bored (through finding equipment to stack was fun!), so decided to patch up to 1.3 and start again with a mage... gotta admit it was challenging at first, but got easy enough once you get Fire Magic to 15 (Overpower + Fireball kills pretty much anything; didn't ever need to try something else), so it kinda got boring again. And yes, I've deliberately tried to avoid the areas I've visited before, but it still got boring.

So, in the end, even though it's pretty fun, I'll have to say it can't quite reach Gothic's "lemme find just one more scavenger so I can level up!" way of pay, which I enjoy.

A couple things: I am not a skilled writer, so if my writing feels stilted, don't die. The following may contain spoilers. I don't think there is really anything to reveal, as I am commenting merely on the gameplay dynamics, but there may be things that I unwittingly unlocked that you wouldn't have known about, otherwise. And I don't mean to steal Mayflower's steam by posting my thoughts on this game, it's just that this thread appears to be the main Two Worlds thread, at least until the release for Americans. Nevertheless, if I committed some error, that is what the delete button/key is for.

My thoughts:

I love this game, although I cannot help but realize it has several things that are definitely wrong with it. Here are some of the pros and cons I found for the English, subtitled game. (My speakers are broken, at the moment...) And let it be known, I haven't beaten the main quest. I never even started it. So, everything I am listing, it is all side-quests and wandering, therefore as little character speech as one can not experience. Anyhow....

Pros:
The first thing I noticed about this game that really made me enjoy it was the extremely far view distance. That was actually why I skipped the main quest. I had climbed up to a high point, then looked south, and there, spread before me, was my future. So, I just took off running for the river. Fifteen hours later, I'm sheepishly heading back to get the teleport activator....:-/
The Magic system is nice, although it can be over-powered, depending on your chosen school.
The melee combat is interesting, with certain weapons being able to discernibly do things that other weapons cannot due, instead of solely different damage types.
Live environment. This is something I found lacking in Oblivion, and Gothic 3 didn't quite due the trick, either. Although the game doesn't live up to its self-proclaimed dynamic environment, it does feel alive, be it the fox sitting on the knoll above you, or the rabbit jumping out of your way as you run to or from the batch of bandits who deemed the crossroads as the best place to locate their roadblock...or the ghosts that show up in the middle of the night, for that nice, eerie touch.
One more thing was the monsters themselves. The abundance of wolves, the occasional bear, which, if you are careful, you can observe actually attacking other creatures, usually winning. One monster that stood out in my mind was the Stone Dragon. I usually use a fire spell instead of a torch, so I just go lighting up the ground as I go. Then I lit up a bunch of stones. Half a second later, my level 23 was crumpled over, heading for the nearest Mariel Shrine. :help:

Cons:
There are a lot of these.

1. Lack of a true physics engine. I believe this to be the cause of the horse clipping issues when encountering slopes. That is the only really noticeable effect, except for jumping from city walls, and only losing 300 or so health...
2. Inventory. This is a so-so thing, as I have never hit my weight limit. I always run out of space in which to place items. I found it annoying, but then again, I was the idiot who didn't grab the teleport activator and stones...
3. It's too easy. This game is a cakewalk once you figure out the right strategy. I will just sit on a magic source and fire off fireballs and firewalls until doomsday.
4. The no penalty for death factor. I actually had to decide I wasn't going to die to make this game even slightly challenging.
5. Crime. I can take an entire city of guards and civilians, but why would I need to do that because I picked a lock on a door? Especially when, in a city, your stealth stat counts for, if anything, very little.
6. Archery. Okay, I haven't found a single reason to pursue this side of the game. I just keep a bow with a really powerful poison enchantment, in case I come up against a really powerful monster. Other than that, I have yet to see a single reason why one would bother to draw back their bow every single time, just to injure someone, when they could be hacking or slashing. Archery feels sloppy and, due to the lack of true physics, takes a special touch.
7. Alchemy. Here is where the bulk of my saves resides. Figuring out what each combination is going to come out to is essentially a guessing game, almost frustrating, but more annoying. Something that would at least tell you if what you are getting back is going to be an augmentation or a potion would be nice.
8. Skill descriptions. Written as if to funny, they can get annoying, and are usually not incredibly informative.
9. Trainers. These suckers are hard to find, annoying, sometimes expensive, and generally just a pain in the butt, especially if you don't have the money to pay them. They won't even tell you what they can teach you.
8. Item Stacking. I have figured out that a dedicated stacker could become god-like by level 10. Others have pointed this out. I saw one poster suggest making leveling up take longer, to make the game slightly harder. I don't think that is the answer. I think you should level up faster. Why? Simple. I can't find leather equipment anywhere. If I had a class 50 leather helmet, with uber stats, it is stuck in inferiority because I can't find anything to keep it competitive. If the player leveled up so fast that they would literally have to change their style of armor every five levels or so, just so they could find something to keep their armor competitive, uber armor wouldn't be a problem, until, say, level 70? By then, you need to be awesome. You don't want the Oblivion issue, where you can't find anything that you can really just massacre. By the time you reach level 70, you should have beat everything, killed thousands of monsters, and being that high of a level is just so you can say that you can kill anything just by looking at it. But, until then, you are in a constant arms race, trying to keep ahead of your foes, killing them to take their armor, which gives you experience, which in time makes it impossible to find your current armor, so then you have to upgrade again. Same with weapons, maybe even rings.

I probably missed some stuff, but I need to get some more screenies for my desktop. :cool:

@Guilo

If you play on the <hard> difficulty setting you cannot respawn - dead is dead.

If you play with patch 1.3 you become god a little later -> around level 30.

The main problems with the game:

1) the game encourage you to be a powergamer -> stacking, alchemie, magic ...
- if you powergame the game becomes to easy.

2) The most quests have no depths, no twists and surprises are rare.

I only found out about 2 worlds recently. But reading over all these posts, and seeing as people have said its between G3 and Oblivion, I might even buy this game.

@Guilo
If you play on the <hard> difficulty setting you cannot respawn - dead is dead.

Thats good to know.

Now if they address the balance further and provide a way to remove weapon
stacking( though I guess I could just ignore it)I might have to actually give it a
try...

I only found out about 2 worlds recently. But reading over all these posts, and seeing as people have said its between G3 and Oblivion, I might even buy this game.

That is where I'm at ... and enjoying the benefit of the US delays for the game :)

Europe = continent of the experienced computer game beta-testers

Thats good to know.

Now if they address the balance further and provide a way to remove weapon
stacking( though I guess I could just ignore it)I might have to actually give it a
try...

I don't think they are going to remove weapon stacking - it was one of the touted features of the design.

*Although imho it is completely ludicrous and I wish it would go away as well.*

Europe = continent of the experienced computer game beta-testers

Heh, and we actually pay for the privilege too...

I don't think they are going to remove weapon stacking - it was one of the touted features of the design.

*Although imho it is completely ludicrous and I wish it would go away as well.*

Yeah, that was mostly wishfull thinking rather than a true expectation.

Damn, if this was Oblivion we could have modded it away in no time
(modability = Bethesda's saving Grace :) )

Back
Top Bottom