Hellgate London - Review @ GamingExcellence

magerette

Hedgewitch
GamingExcellence has posted a review of Flagship's action rpg Hellgate:London, scoring it at 7/10. The review goes over the usual pros and cons and concludes:
All in all, Hellgate: London isn’t the next revolution in Diablo-style gameplay. While it does some important parts well, notably the item management and upgradeability, other parts like the skill sets and character customization fall short. The technical issues have gotten better since the last patch, but they’re still present, and can hamper the experience, especially the framerate. It all adds up to a game that doesn’t live up to expectations. It’s not a bad game; it’s just severely flawed, and ends up just being decidedly average.
More information.

... or - "wait until it hits bargain bins".

Yeah, maybe... although I'm not quite sure if that also goes for Hellgate. This game has the problem that it's not really the bugs or anything that make it unattractive. As the review says - the game is so damn average... I recently bought it, and I cannot see any particular reason why I should play it (apart from having paid for it). It's not like the game is bad, but at least to me it simply feels "old". Apart from the setting (which I really like) every single aspect of the game is borrowed from some other game... there is nothing that makes Hellgate special. You know, sometimes you come across a game which is pretty bad, but you keep on playing it because (despite all its flaws) it excels in one particular field. I just don't see that in the case of Hellgate.

A bit sad really... lots of wasted potential.

I think that if I payed $20 instead of $50 I'd have been thrilled by the amount of play I got out of it ... even if everything you say *is* absolutely true!

Back
Top Bottom