Skyrim Aedra, Daedra and the Dwemer (child of the 'What house did you buy' thread)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
None with the exception of Yagrum Bagarn in Morrowind I'm afraid.

I played a whole 2 or 3 hours of morrowind and tossed in the towel it never really appealed to me. At that time I was VERY anti-FPS view so that prob have something to do with it as well. Plus the fast weapon derogation was a big turn off.

Wished I gave it more time, as what people say about it they really liked it.

The first few hours of Morrowind are rough, mainly because you're too weak to kill anything, and if it's your first time playing, you have no idea what's going on :) . Deliver this package to some guy in a town who's name I forgot already. Oh look a cave filled with bandits. *Dead*. What the hell, I can't even kill a rat. Why are my sword strikes going right through it and doing no damage! Argh! It gets much better though.

For me, Skyrim is on par with Morrowind, and neither one is better or worse. They are very different though. I consider Skyrim one of the best games I've ever played, so that should tell you also what I think of Morrowind.

Some people hate Morrowind's combat, but I liked it, and still do. It simulates being a complete klutz with a weapon at lower skill, meaning you miss a lot of your strikes, but as you level up the skill you connect more and more and for more damage. It's basically a dice roll mechanic. Lots of people do hate it, but if you sort of curb your expectations coming from Skyrim, which is much more action oriented, to a system much more roll-of-the-dice oriented, it won't be so bad. Just don't expect to be killing everything in sight at level 1.

As for the Dwemer, what do you guys think about Markarth? That city to me, is amazing. The architecture and design of it all is unreal. Easily my favorite city in Skyrim, if I had to choose just one. It's cool to finally see an inhabited Dwemer city above ground (and not inhabited with Dwarven Spheres and Centurions :) )

Markarth is beautiful but forbidding. I love it, but not so much that I would spend most of my time off there (Riften is the place to go for me, don't know why exactly). I did enjoy the sightseeing, though, and exploring every inch of the town and ruins.

@Harlequin: You can multi-quote in one post.

Some people hate Morrowind's combat, but I liked it, and still do. It simulates being a complete klutz with a weapon at lower skill, meaning you miss a lot of your strikes, but as you level up the skill you connect more and more and for more damage. It's basically a dice roll mechanic. Lots of people do hate it, but if you sort of curb your expectations coming from Skyrim, which is much more action oriented, to a system much more roll-of-the-dice oriented, it won't be so bad. Just don't expect to be killing everything in sight at level 1.

I think Morrowind's combat depends on where you're coming from. If you came to it from classic RPGs, it wasn't that big a deal at all. You were used to not hitting with every attack. If you came to it from an FPS background or from modern games, then it probably does feel really weird.

Me, I like it. It takes a bit of getting used to again, but it gives it an extra bit of nostalgic, old school RPG flair.

I just made it to Markath in the last 2 days. Really, I find it the most interesting city (architecturally and historically) yet. Lots of intrigue, too. Rather dark though. It also has my first large dwarven ruin to explore. I have to say the mechanical beasties are fantastically animated. Enjoyed watching them fight the falmer. :)

I thought Markath interesting but depressing. A bunch of vultures living in the corpse of a once-vibrant city. I mean, they can't even be bothered to cart out the rubble from their own houses!

I was thinking the same thing!

Even the entrance to the hall where the jarl lives has rubble on both sides. I am not sure how long they claimed the ruin as their own, but if it has been more then 3 or 4 years I have no idea why they have not cleaned out the debris by now. Wouldn't that be one of the first things you addressed?

Back
Top Bottom