Civilization VI *FULL* Comes to iPad!

txa1265

SasqWatch
OMG - still downloading so I can’t comment fully yet, but today Aspyr (who ported KotOR, Jade Empire and Titan Quest to iPad) released Civ VI. And evidently it is the full and complete game, just with touch controls.

You can download the game for free, but only get the first 60 turns as a demo, then the game is a full-priced $60! Whew - right now it is on sale for $30 (which is more than I paid for the PC version!).

I will report on the quality, etc in the ‘What Games are you playing’ thread ... just wanted to let folks know!

Well, why don't you just stream it with Moonlight? Works flawlessly on my iPad - though I haven't played Civ 6 on it. I prefer mouse/keyboard for games this complex.

Now that the expansion is coming up, there's not much point in the vanilla game :(

Well, why don't you just stream it with Moonlight? Works flawlessly on my iPad - though I haven't played Civ 6 on it. I prefer mouse/keyboard for games this complex.

Not really into streaming games - and since I have every computer as a laptop or hybrid, it really wouldn’t make sense. I will find out pretty quickly how much the lack of KB&M hampers the game for me. Just banging through the tutorial and the performance, graphics and controls are all working well for me.

civ VI is a phone game. You know what joker thinks of phone games….

Haha :). But not in this case - the Civilization Revolution games are phone games (and I really can’t even play them anymore) ... this is the full deal!

That tells you how much more complex Paradox games are over Civilization. I think it'd be just impossible to port even CK2 (the oldest of the new generation) even to an iPhone 15.

Not really into streaming games - and since I have every computer as a laptop or hybrid, it really wouldn’t make sense. I will find out pretty quickly how much the lack of KB&M hampers the game for me. Just banging through the tutorial and the performance, graphics and controls are all working well for me.

Not sure what you mean by it not making sense. You can stream from any device that's powerful enough to run the game to the platform of your choice :)

So, unless you need to play this game "on the road" without Internet and you absolutely want to pay for it twice - it should make sense.

Especially for a game like Civ 6 - which is turn-based and will look a lot better streamed than ported to a tablet where they have to severely reduce detail.

But I get it :)

You're not really into seriously playing the games themselves - but you like the flexibility of playing them on multiple platforms on the off chance that you would actually sit down and dedicate yourself to one of them ;)

I'm sort of the same way, just much worse.

I bought myself a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X - for instance.

Why? Because I don't like the thought of not having access to the best games on the best hardware.

But I'm not actually using them for anything or playing any of the exclusives.

Well, I played Zero Dawn a bit on the Pro - and I greatly enjoyed Last of Us. But that's about it.

So, I know about paying for things I don't actually need.

Wow ... what a rather snarky and rude response. Yet for some reason I am deciding to try to help you understand - since you immediately noted you didn't get my meaning:

Not sure what you mean by it not making sense.

Oh ...

But I get it :)

You were correct the first time. ;)

You can stream from any device that's powerful enough to run the game to the platform of your choice :)

Yes, I know this very well. However, there are important requirements:
#1 - the computer you are streaming from needs to be powered ON.
#2 - for best performance your 'source' should be connected to a wired network.

So, unless you need to play this game "on the road" without Internet and you absolutely want to pay for it twice - it should make sense.

Or ... maybe there are other reasons you *gasp* hadn't considered ...

If you go to #1 above and consider that since 1997 I have only used laptops, you might be able to surmise that having a permanent location for a computer is not something of particular value to me.

So in order to stream this game I would need to take my PC laptop out from my bedside table and set it up somewhere that would be connected to ethernet and leave it powered on with Steam running to be able to game stream. Not impossible, but not worth it for me.

Especially for a game like Civ 6 - which is turn-based and will look a lot better streamed than ported to a tablet where they have to severely reduce detail.

That is a very interesting uninformed opinion. Let me restate in a more factual way: "Because the graphics of the iPad version are set to be similar to the low/medium levels that would be selected for a modern laptop with a Core i5 process and Intel integrated graphics of at least the 5 series, it is entirely possible that with a more powerful computer and solid internet connection that a better graphical experience could be realized."

Which is true, but since my Alienware 13 isn't the most recent revision, I am unable to play many newer games with full settings. This includes Civ VI - but I have found that playing on a 13" screen tends to make those things matter much less - and the same is true for a 10.5" screen. If I was playing on a larger monitor it would be different.

I'm sort of the same way, just much worse.

I bought myself a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X - for instance.

So, I know about paying for things I don't actually need.

So you are equating your spending ~$1000 on things essentially based on FOMO to my spending a grand total of $55 for a game that was $60 new and that I already know I love so I can play it on a different platform?

... oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh - kkkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyy ...

You're not really into seriously playing the games themselves - but you like the flexibility of playing them on multiple platforms on the off chance that you would actually sit down and dedicate yourself to one of them ;)

Aside from being arrogant and condescending ... WTF are you even getting at? I bought and have played Civ VI, and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I haven't touched my Steam copy since May until now, but was thinking about playing again. Playing on my PC gets the fans spinning which is loud; playing on my older MacBook Air is not very pleasant; and my new retina MacBook is pretty much dedicated to my music studio (I.e. no games).

So the opportunity to play the full game on my iPad sounded great. I am certainly not gaming to the extent I have in the past, so it will take me a while to work through things, but so far I am loving the iPad experience, including how I can tap the app on my dock and immediately pick up where I left off.

Don't do it Mike, NOOOOOO!

Your only salvation now is to get Chien involved.

@txa

That's quite the meltdown response, I salute you for making the effort :)

Yes, leaving your computer on is necessary to stream - but you don't need a wired connection or Steam to be online to stream a turn-based game at 1080p with Moonlight. You DO need an Nvidia GPU, though.

So if your PC is crap - it's not a good choice.

So you are equating your spending ~$1000 on things essentially based on FOMO to my spending a grand total of $55 for a game that was $60 new and that I already know I love so I can play it on a different platform?

What part of "I'm much worse" was too complicated?

Sometimes, the excessively defensive and emotional response is not the correct one.

Aside from being arrogant and condescending … WTF are you even getting at? I bought and have played Civ VI, and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I haven't touched my Steam copy since May until now, but was thinking about playing again. Playing on my PC gets the fans spinning which is loud; playing on my older MacBook Air is not very pleasant; and my new retina MacBook is pretty much dedicated to my music studio (I.e. no games).

I'm saying you like to spend money on pretty useless shit, just like me.

If you're going to deny it - be my guest. It's not like it's a big deal.

Well, I guess it's a big deal to you - but not to me.

Anyway, have fun not really playing Civ 6.

That's quite the meltdown response, I salute you for making the effort :)

Meltdown? Emotional? Not at all - I simply picked apart your arrogant, uninformed and occasionally nonsensical response. Which you doubled down on in the follow-up.

But since those things - arrogance, condescension and lack of self-awareness - are keys to your personality as demonstrated through years here on the Watch, I will not attempt again to correct your misconceptions, as my time is definitely spent doing pretty much anything else since there is about a 0% chance of you ever actually doing something that would resemble accountability or learning.

I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of my intentions than you do :)

I just pointed out how superfluous this edition of Civ 6 really is. You reacted as if I'd killed your dog and given some kind of major offence.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you actually end up playing it a whole lot and you wouldn't be able to stream it with decent results and save yourself some money. If so, I apologize for being wrong.

Maybe pointing out the obvious requires arrogance where you're from, but in my world it's just part of being human and recognising that others are human too.

Your laughable overreaction is part and parcel of YOUR personality - but I don't feel like condemning it.

You've always been emotional and you tend to turn on a dime as soon as your precious feelings are hurt. It's at that point that YOU stop being accountable and rely entirely on your emotional reaction as if that meant you couldn't possibly be wrong about me and what I was trying to do. You felt hurt - so I'm in the wrong no matter what.

That's your thing and that's ok with me.

If you really want to believe I wanted to hurt you, somehow, and not try to help you by suggesting a free alternative and pointing out the flaws in your understanding of streaming requirements - then so be it. I know some people get confused when they feel "spoken down to" - but to be condescending, there's has to be intent and I would have to feel superior somehow, which I never do. Believing the obvious to be true is hardly arrogance - though it might very well seem that way when faced with people in denial.

Anyway, I think I'm done here.

And almost on queue ... let the gaslighting begin.

The Internet and online exchanges are full of imaginary enemies. It’s the perfect platform for the paranoid because what’s in the mind will never be challenged by what reality would seem to put into question.

But we’re too smart to really believe each other to be the devil, or so I’d like to think.

Anyway, Merry Christmas txa ;)

Some of it is paranoid and some of it is real. In fact a lot of it is real just the precentage of impacted people is low.

The Internet and online exchanges are full of imaginary enemies. It’s the perfect platform for the paranoid because what’s in the mind will never be challenged by what reality would seem to put into question.

But we’re too smart to really believe each other to be the devil, or so I’d like to think.

Absolutely - and we've been through it before ... we agree on perhaps 90% or so of things, and occasionally disagree either casually or vehemently. We are both flawed humans who occasionally also fail to either send the message we intend or to read the message the other intends ... far from anything sinister.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

So is the game any good on the tablet or do you wish your tablet was a laptop ?

It is as good or better than I could have hoped - my estimation was that they would expand on the well done controls of 'Civilization Revolution' ... but since that is a very simplified game, it wasn't clear to me how things would work.

In my opinion it is about as good as a non-'hidden object adventure' game can get on a touch interface. Shooters, action-RPG and RTS (I keep trying the Total War ports hoping for a less frustrating outcome) games are all poor compromises that keep me going back to the PC. But so far I have played ~4 hours on this and am very pleased - it meets my basic requirements and will keep me playing on the tablet over my holiday break.

Is it as good as keyboard and mouse on the PC? No, of COURSE not ... but that was something I knew going in - my rationale as stated above was about my tablet/Mac/PC utilization. And I am happier spending $30 on this than I have been spending $5-10 on several other ports.

That tells you how much more complex Paradox games are over Civilization. I think it'd be just impossible to port even CK2 (the oldest of the new generation) even to an iPhone 15.

Lol, firstly put all paradox games in a same bag is big. Paradox releases plenty games with a weird gameplay.

Secondly that they can't be ported to some os and hardware doesn't make them better games nor even more complex.

How long does the battery last playing Civ?

Back
Top Bottom