Battle Chasers: Nightwar - Review Roundup

When anime dies, maybe I start understanding these overblown scores for an afternoon boobs game.

Till then I'm gonna continue to enjoy…

DO NOT OPEN IF NOT 18+!!!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ohkno73zPw1tp5yuio2_540.gif

giphy.gif

That's WAY better scores than I expected from watching the promo!

From Gaming on PC:
Battle Chasers: Nightwar‘s combat system is where the game shines, as expected from a title that will make us spend a great deal of time staring at battle screens. This doesn’t mean that we’ll be forced to fight our way through myriads of random encounters, as the JRPGs of old often did. Thankfully we are living in more modern times, so we’ll always be able to clearly see enemy markers, and choose whether to engage in combat or not (with varying degrees of success, as the foes found on exploration areas will try to attack us on sight).

It's actually surprisingly pretty good, like Torchlight with turn-based combat, or something of that sort. My only complaint so far are that I've had to reset a couple of dungeons because they contained "lever and door puzzles" that couldn't be completed. (As in, there was no solution; once you pushed a lever a certain way it just blocked you from completing the puzzle or trying it any other way. A reset fixed it in both cases, providing puzzles that 'worked' ...)

I wouldn't recommend the game to people that dislike JRPG grinding, though - you *will* be fighting a lot of the same foes, over and over again. You will have to "grind" to get up to the level the game "expects" you to be at for most dungeons, just following the story and doing them once doesn't cut it.

It's not a bad little game, I don't think I'd give it a 9/10 but I would like to see more PC games like this. As for anime boobs, I haven't noticed any. The graphics you will be staring at most remind me of the Torchlight/Torchlight II.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
too cartoony, and no writing or character development is my guess

There is more boobs in joxers spoiler than in the whole game.

The game seem to be set during a fairly short time frame so don't seem to be any real character growth. The characters do feel well developed and they have background with each other though. It is based on the comic after all so most of the work was done already.
For scores I don't think I have seen a single review ever where I felt the scoring was absolutely right. This is Imo one of the better games of the year though I would not put it anywhere near D:OS2 when it comes to passion, scale, scope, innovation or any other cool words you could think of.

As of now there is no rebinding of keys and settings are lacking to say the least.
Quite the disgrace for a PC game but at least for me it don't hurt the gameplay that otherwise feel well polished.

Maybe Joxer was complaining about the absent of boobs ?

There is more boobs in joxers spoiler than in the whole game.

The game seem to be set during a fairly short time frame so don't seem to be any real character growth. The characters do feel well developed and they have background with each other though. It is based on the comic after all so most of the work was done already.
For scores I don't think I have seen a single review ever where I felt the scoring was absolutely right. This is Imo one of the better games of the year though I would not put it anywhere near D:OS2 when it comes to passion, scale, scope, innovation or any other cool words you could think of.

As of now there is no rebinding of keys and settings are lacking to say the least.
Quite the disgrace for a PC game but at least for me it don't hurt the gameplay that otherwise feel well polished.

Maybe Joxer was complaining about the absent of boobs ?

I don't think it's fair to bring up his social life...

I backed this on KS so I got a copy.
Love the game. Totally impressed with what they did with the budget.
The combination of overland map plus dungeon plus explore area is well done.

Two things on the grind. If you stick to same 3 characters there is very little grind. You will have do repeat a dungeon once in a while to attain the level needed to easily progress in a story. You are not FORCED to grind and even overland mobs dont engage if you are overlevelling them.
People that feel like they have to complete every quest or get every achievement or fill every journal log lr min/max a character will say there is grind. Similar to a lot of jrpgs there is a beastiary and you get bonuses based on killing monster X 50 times or something. Completely ignorable if you choose.

My only complaint is that the other characters that join do not passively level. Thats silly mechanics I believe and too JRPGrindy for a western audience. I know there are shortcuts like taking two main high levels and the underlevelled to an arena and getting a bucket of experience in one battle, but really your shouldnt have to.

Two things on the grind. If you stick to same 3 characters there is very little grind. You will have do repeat a dungeon once in a while to attain the level needed to easily progress in a story. You are not FORCED to grind and even overland mobs dont engage if you are overlevelling them.
People that feel like they have to complete every quest or get every achievement or fill every journal log lr min/max a character will say there is grind. Similar to a lot of jrpgs there is a beastiary and you get bonuses based on killing monster X 50 times or something. Completely ignorable if you choose.

My only complaint is that the other characters that join do not passively level. Thats silly mechanics I believe and too JRPGrindy for a western audience. I know there are shortcuts like taking two main high levels and the underlevelled to an arena and getting a bucket of experience in one battle, but really your shouldnt have to.

Will there be a notification of a quest with characters not in your party if those characters are not in the party?

Will there be a notification of a quest with characters not in your party if those characters are not in the party?

I am not sure if there is anything about a characters personal quests if they are not in the party but you can repeat content. When it comes to ingame dialogue all reclaimed characters are present whether they are in the party or not.

I also enjoy a lot this game, ok the grinding aspect can be light, but it's a point they could have tune better. The game also borrows multiple game rules/mechanism to Diablo and none fit or work well. For example it seems that the grinding can rather easily break the balances, the gold penalty on party death doesn't fit at all, the automatic unique save is weird for the game, and more. The UI with mouse and keyboard can be great on many point (there's a manual setup to move with the mouse) but there's also some rather weird detail in the UI.

It is rough on many edges and I think reviews just ignored that. But it has a great RPG charm, that's top cool. It doesn't take it too seriously, I don't mean it's a humor book as was DOS1 but it's just doing the job without pretension, and that plus a lot of care and efforts in many details, is certainly what give it this old classic RPG feeling, but a modernized classic.

Back
Top Bottom