Is DOTA still in your game list?

blinkingwhip

Traveler
I'm not sure if you guys still play DOTA, but it's definitely still going on like an epidemic in my location. Even my 30-year-old brother is still playing that online game like crazy. I think that he is really getting addicted to it because he rarely spends time with his family anymore and he always skip work days. Not sure what led him to be so addicted to that game but I really want to help out. Do you have any advice to intervene?

Is DOTA still in your game list?
Never was nor will be.
I'm LOL audience, but it's not the game itself - toxic community is what I adore. ;)

EDIT - hit post and left because distractions like…

Rarely spending time with family - is that a bad thing? I don't think so. Not all families are "interesting".
The bad thing is spending time with invisible people, socializing online instead of being with real living people, family or not.

I have two friends still addicted to WoW. One is doomed, noone sees him any more as is always home doing whatnot raids. Perhaps I should say "had" a friend.
Another one is different and comes often for a coffee or gets drunk with us so it's IMO still okay. I'd like him more if he was into singleplayers, but well, whatever makes him happy as long as he's not ruining his life.

If you don't have what your brother wants, sorry man, but you can't help his MMO addiction. What does he want anyway? What's exactly that something reality can't give to him so he has to escape into virtual world? Do you know? I suppose you don't.
30 you say? Go to him when he's in dota match with tons of beer, pretend you're interested in what's going on the screen and get him dead drunk. That's how you'll find out.
You might pull out an excuse that you don't drink, but man, alcohol is something humanity and civilization evolved around. Find one of his ex friends who do drink to do the "dirty" job.

A couple of notes more.
You're new so perhaps you didn't expect a suggestion like this one above. Sorry, but I tend to be blunt.
I can't recommend pot in this case as it won't solve anything, in fact it could get things even worse if he notices his DOTA performance improved while stoned. Being drunk however will kill his reflexes. ;)

Keep in mind it could have been worse than it is - at least he's not addicted to lootboxes.

Last edited:
Wow, Joxer. I didn't expect to receive any lengthy and comprehensive rant from my inquiry. I'm not really sure how to answer your questions because my brother doesn't really talk to me much but I believe that he loves playing that pc game because it is somehow very predictable and less drama. Once one round is over, he can move on to the next round. No strings attached. I think that playing this pc game is his escape from his family problems given that his partner is nagging me to convince him with couples counseling. To be honest, I just don't want him to reach his ultimatum of having to choose between his game and his family. It would really suck if it has to come to that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
That smelled like an advertising link, so I removed it. Don’t do stuff like that.

DOTA is just not my personal taste of things - or, maybe I never got the chance to test it out. My taste is currently elsewhere.

I think that playing this pc game is his escape from his family problems given that his partner is nagging me to convince him with couples counseling.
Do not do it. Honestly. Do not get involved in that stuff by any means. Let decisions to him only. If you're asked to be a crying shoulder, okay, but anything else, just refuse it.
In fact, if possible, try to avoid any 1on1 chatty with that partner of his. They should know better than recruiting "sidekicks" for personal matters. Some say everything is allowed in love and war, I say no.
If socializing that leads to manipulation attempts is not possible to avoid, definetly buy a t-shirt that says "get off my lawn" or something like that.

DOTA is just not my personal taste of things - or, maybe I never got the chance to test it out. My taste is currently elsewhere.
IMO you should stay away from DOTA. Or any MOBA to be precise. Your heart wouldn't survive the enormous amount of toxicity coming from types of people frequenting those games. ;)

Last edited:
It showed up on my game list for some reason, as did "Dota 2 Test". It's filed under "Trash" along with some multi-player mods, Counter-Strike: Source, and Burnout Paradise.

As for your friend, jeez, I don't know. If it's affecting work, though, that is a Very Bad Thing. With DOTA, I would guess it isn't so much the game as the friends on the game. That happens sometimes in guilds in MMOs, too, where people get so dedicated to the guild that they lose perspective and start sacrificing time they really shouldn't be sacrificing to something that's as fleeting as a game group.

How to fix it? No clue. It depends so much on your situation and his situation and so on, it's really impossible to say from here.

Actually people have become addicted to competitive gaming. If you want to risk hurting your relationship further, there is a way to stop him from playing the game, competitive players want to think they are good, if you spend tie watching him and laughing at him when he dies in the game, it may kill his ego over time and make him consider quitting the game.

But do it at your own risk.

Forced ridiculing won't do anything, the reaction will be "you understand nothing". :)
He might try to smash the brother's router though: no internet = no MMOs. :evilgrin:

But it won't cure the addiction. As the addiction here is caused by something else and if the root of the problem is not dealt with today it's DOTA, tomorrow it'll be Destiny 2 or GTA online.

Back
Top Bottom