Divinity: Original Sin II - One Million Copies sold

Congrats, Larian. It's nice to see the good guys win one.

Good to see that this mid budget indie business model looks solid. So long as good games at this sort of level are being made, I don't really care too much if the AAA scene eats itself alive.

I know what was stated, but the game's Diablo loot and rampant level scaling need an overhaul best addressed w/ an EE.

You can fix that with mods or even by yourself by just doing some tweaks in a file. It greatly increased my enjoyment of the game.

What mods and how do they fix what? :)

The scaling of items and armour/vitality values are directly tied to the exponential vitality increase with levels. You can use mods like "no numbers bloat" to make it much less extreme. This means the difference between item levels won't be near as impactful, so you don't have to change gear every level. Lower level enemies won't be pushovers like in Vanilla, but higher level enemies won't have 10x your armour values either. All damage from weapons and spells also scale according to the modifier you set.

As an example, my party is now level 20 with armour values around 200-300, and their damage ranges are roughly 100-200, compared to vanilla where we're talking thousands at that level.

Edit: Oh, and the balance won't be affected, apart from the fact gear changes won't be quite as crucial which I suppose makes the "economy game" easier. But that didn't feel like a problem in vanilla either, as long as you have a good thief.

The scaling of items and armour/vitality values are directly tied to the exponential vitality increase with levels. You can use mods like "no numbers bloat" to make it much less extreme. This means the difference between item levels won't be near as impactful, so you don't have to change gear every level. Lower level enemies won't be pushovers like in Vanilla, but higher level enemies won't have 10x your armour values either. All damage from weapons and spells also scale according to the modifier you set.

As an example, my party is now level 20 with armour values around 200-300, and their damage ranges are roughly 100-200, compared to vanilla where we're talking thousands at that level.

Edit: Oh, and the balance won't be affected, apart from the fact gear changes won't be quite as crucial which I suppose makes the "economy game" easier. But that didn't feel like a problem in vanilla either, as long as you have a good thief.

Oh, I heard about that mod. Actually considered it, too - though I haven't had much of a problem with loot so far.

The overall impact of levels does seem to be a bit extreme - but it hasn't been a problem for us (coop game) so far. We've been able to kill enemies a few levels above us without too much trouble.

Also, I think the levels are meant to gate certain areas in an effort to pace the game in a certain way. Not sure they meant for it to feel completely open - as certain areas seem tied to certain quests. Meaning, I'm not sure the experience will be as intended if I can go anywhere and kill everything.

But I'll check it out :)

Well, I played Vanilla first for about 40 hours and then switched and I greatly prefer the modded version. It was mainly the gear that annoyed me with Vanilla, were cool uniques were surpassed by greys one or two levels higher. With the mod uniques actually feel like special gear, at least for a couple of levels instead of being instantly outclassed.

Regarding enemies I don't feel the challenge is lessened, but I do like the fact that I can do the numbers in my head without getting a headache.

Well, I played Vanilla first for about 40 hours and then switched and I greatly prefer the modded version. It was mainly the gear that annoyed me with Vanilla, were cool uniques were surpassed by greys one or two levels higher. With the mod uniques actually feel like special gear, at least for a couple of levels instead of being instantly outclassed.

Regarding enemies I don't feel the challenge is lessened, but I do like the fact that I can do the numbers in my head without getting a headache.

Well, it's something I'll have to try first. But I'm not big on modding balance like this - as modders tend to overlook certain things.

Also, I enjoy finding loot relatively often - and I've yet to feel like I've had to switch gear constantly. It seems to be paced reasonably well all things considered.

My issue with loot is that most of it is generated. I would prefer hand-placed loot be the norm, rather than RNG loot.

It's not that the challenge is necessarily lessened - it's more that if scaling is less severe, you run the risk of accessing areas that might be meant for a later stage in the game.

But, again, it's the sort of thing I have to try. But since I'm playing coop - I need everyone to agree that it's a thing we need, and I've yet to have a significant issue with the game as it is.

As an RPG the second is much better than the first (story moments). I don't quite grasp your issue. If the game is too difficult set it ot an easier level.
-
Loot has been a bit of a problem in both games (I think it is worse in the first). To be honest DD and DKS had decent loot setup but I can see it took more effort in those games to place the loot - still I think they should revisit the loot issue with a massive patch.

As an RPG the second is much better than the first (story moments). I don't quite grasp your issue. If the game is too difficult set it ot an easier level.

Who are you replying too? I've seen no one having an issue with the difficulty?

I won't ever back another Original Sin game, but I would back Divinity 3 if it's in the same vein as DKS/Ego Draconis/Divinity 2. I support Larian when they support me, in other words :D

Last edited:
I won't ever back another Original Sin game, but I would back Divinity 3 if it's in the same vein as DKS/Ego Draconis/Divinity 2. I support Larian when they support me, in other words :D

I would back them either way, but I would prefer something closer to D:OS than DKS. Would like a new IP either way, can't say the Rivellon setting is very interesting to me.

I think DOS2 does actually a good job with scaling and it's mechanics in general.

Even if the enemies are a little higher than you, you will be fine. And even if your gear is several levels below you will be fine as well.
Yes, the sacing is quite strong in numbers, but this is more of a help to the player to catch up. The cool thing is, that the traders also restock their equipment with every level up (and every hour). Which means that if you should somehow end up in a fight which you find incredibly hard, you could get a little boost from buying items from the vendors, which in this game are actually decent. In most other games vendors and money in general just becomes useless after a while.

So I think it's actually working better than in other games and that it doesn't need any fixing.

Loot has been a bit of a problem in both games (I think it is worse in the first). To be honest DD and DKS had decent loot setup but I can see it took more effort in those games to place the loot - still I think they should revisit the loot issue with a massive patch.

I also don't see any issue with the loot system. Well at least not in a way you probably mean.

I basically have two other problems with looting:

If you are looting massive amounts of items, it takes ages, as the interface enforces a delay of about a second or two between "physically" looting 2 items like plates from a table, making it quite a hassle to loot Rykers house clean for example.

The other issue with the loot is that there are sooo many crafting items and you "need" to somehow sort them.
And worst of all: it's all for nothing as the crafting system in this game is horrible and there is hardly anything in it, which it did right. Imho the worst aspect of the game, which luckily you can ignore for the most part (except of looting and sorting through the loot)

Edit: Oh, one issue with regular loot though: I am not fan of it being randomly generated after each reload. Imho it should just depend on a seed.
And nother one: It sucks that when receiving quest rewards, you cannot actually see which items your group mates wear...

Agreed, crafting is underwhelming and terribly implemented in terms of inventory managment.

They should have made a separate section for crafting materials - and they should have made all ingredients weightless.

I don't think crafting is that bad. THe reason is because if you know the formulae you can just click on it and the ingrediants are automagically selected. Want 12 potions of heal - click the formulae - move the slider to 12 and presto.
-
If you don't nikow the formulae then hunting around isn't quite so horrible.

I don't think crafting is that bad. THe reason is because if you know the formulae you can just click on it and the ingrediants are automagically selected. Want 12 potions of heal - click the formulae - move the slider to 12 and presto.
-
If you don't nikow the formulae then hunting around isn't quite so horrible.

And you get 12 potions of healing which heal like 50 Hitpoints for your 4000Hp character. Which of course you cannot know because the crafting menu comes without tooltips about what you craft. You only have a fancy icon showing a potion and you got the name. ^^

Also some of the more useful things are either not shown at all in the game or very late and basically impossible to find out yourself. So basically you are better off to check the wiki right away.

Regarding finding out yourself: There is no highlight of usable item-combinations or any other indication. The sorting in your inventory is horrible with unusable categories, and you have intimidating 5! slots to combine an item. Which - spoiler- are basically never fully used for anything.

Nice. I'm hoping they get another million eventually.

I think DOS2 does actually a good job with scaling….
So I think it's actually working better than in other games and that it doesn't need any fixing.

You're probably one of the few with that opinion.

Itemization that never progressed beyond an update to dmg/hp? MMOs have greater complexity than this. Exponential scaling that forces you to always be on the hunt for new [RANDOMIZED] gear despite maybe getting an upgrade just 30-60 minutes prior? That gets tiresome quick.

How about the pacing of the game: there's four acts and yet half the game takes place in a second chapter(that plods along forever).

The much-vaunted environment effects, while being well balanced in the first game, are completely over the top in the second installment as well: practically every fight ends in a giant sea of cursed fire. That isn't tactically challenging but rather simply annoying, predictable, and rarely dangerous.

Combined altogether, I couldn't finish the game fast enough; it was an arduously tedious experience.

I mean, kudos to Larian for getting all this attention. But holding this up as some object of near perfection is disingenuous. There are many RPGs with a more cohesive design that don't beat the player over the head with such ill-planned tedium.

Back
Top Bottom