PC gaming is dead. Right?

The highest PC product quoted in the article is overwatch which is underrated on this site.

Underrated? Well...this IS a site for RPG's, and with a stong tendency towards favouring single player RPG's. Overwatch is a team based multiplayer FPS. So...no shit Sherlock?

I played overwatch beta and frankly thought it sucked (I was a borderlands 1/2 fan).

I do think that many companies do PC gaming a dis-credit but nothing beats kb/m for gaming :)
-
Maybe one day they will release consoles with only kb/m.

So far I detest VR. Have zero interest in it unless they SIGNIFICANTLY up their game.
I expect them to do so. Massively. Right now, all the games seem to be developers just getting their feet wet, trying to figure out how user interfaces are supposed to work, how to keep people from throwing up, and that sort of thing.

3D Movies - blah. Honestly, I don't see how they can ever do 3D in a theater. If you've got a point in space, the position of the two images changes the further from the screen you are. There's no way to make a very good experience for everyone so they keep the effect small.

VR and stereoscopic 3D (e.g. 3D Vision) don't have that problem. The VR system knows pretty precisely what that distance is and 3D Vision lets you set it to your own tastes. That lets them do proper 3D where an object that's supposed to be 5 inches in front of your nose looks to be 5 inches in front of your nose and something that's supposed to be on the horizon has your eyes set parallel. (And, if it screws up and puts the two images a little too far apart - the object appears to be some distance behind you, yet showing up in front of you - which is a might confusing. ;)

And, to bring this topic around, that's where PC can really do well. We can tweak systems and plug in all sorts of craziness. Consoles, not so much.

Underrated? Well…this IS a site for RPG's, and with a stong tendency towards favouring single player RPG's. Overwatch is a team based multiplayer FPS. So…no shit Sherlock?

No. There is non RPG section. Beside, the idea that because it is a RPG site, games from other genres must be underrated is whisful thinking.
Especially as regulars do not bother about praising the products they love outside the RPG genre.

No. There is non RPG section. Beside, the idea that because it is a RPG site, games from other genres must be underrated is whisful thinking.
Especially as regulars do not bother about praising the products they love outside the RPG genre.

Wrong once again. People here talk about great strategy games also. Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Eador, Age of Wonders, Battle Brothers, and the list goes on. Why would this site care about a game like Underwatch? Don't you have some games to watch?

BB is perceived as a RPG. The others did not receive more attention than that.

I noticed something theother day.

While looking at retail, and retail alone, I merely the same old games, same old genres, the same old stories and the same old violence themes.

Looking at retail alone ( ! ) , PC gaming is indead dead - and I imagined, that if I was an mid-ages casual, very casual playing person, like for example father of a full family, not connected to Steam or/and GOG, for example, so casual that I'd ONLY buy in retail - yes, indeed, I thought, I'd come to the firm conclusion that PC gaming is truly dead. No variation, no creativity, no colourfuulness so that other family members could play these games as well … You just won't find any Super Mario game on the PC. It's just too … much non-violent. And far too much colourful. And therefore it wouldn't sell. On the PC platform.

Fittingly, our local newspaper just published the best selling PC games from the last year : 1. FIFA 18, Call Of Duty WWII, GTA V
No suprises here, especiall since ALL of them are series. Serial Sellers.

Nobody plays adventures anymore, guess why ?

Not true. I still do, only not as frequent as before because…
Several reasons that are not just mine.

1. Adventure genre fans refused to play Rockstar's Bully. That's a modern style of adventure and if fans risked it, developers would probably "forget" old styles and switch to new designs.

2. But as it happed, adventure devs didn't adapt to modern technology. Last awsome adventures came from Kheops Studio which (for all I know) is now defunct and even their high quality games already felt outdated.

3. Solving puzzles that was supposed to feel satisfactory went decadent instead. Some devs accepted Nancy Drew style with no logic just roguelike RNG guess game, some went too easy on a player and some transformed into hidden object cheap rubbish that isn't adventure at all.

3. Solving puzzles that was supposed to feel satisfactory went decadent instead. Some devs accepted Nancy Drew style with no logic just roguelike RNG guess game, some went too easy on a player and some transformed into hidden object cheap rubbish that isn't adventure at all.

There is a pretty decent business in these sorts of games apparently. I *do* actually like them, but as you note in general there isn’t a ton of adventure-gaming found in most of them. For the most part it is more like a side-show.

Back
Top Bottom