Gaming BS of the week

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

If the word "Maus" was taken from there, it could mean that "Deadmau5" is a a Neo-Nazi, or at least someone drifting into that direction.
Uhm, I think this is taking the analysis a bit too far, with too little evidence.
Actually, as I'm a comicbookworm that's pretty enough of evidence for me - Maus is worldwide considered one of comic masterpieces to read before dying. Unlike other such titles however, I don't own it's paper version. Not sure why…
What use is evidence on the Internet?
If Internet didn't exist I'd never know in the first half of past century give or take, I'd probably ended up at island of Livø. Not because of (my own) crimes.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know. I'm merely breaking down the information into bits.

However, the use of the word "maus" can have some very different meanings. Like "tiny, loveable, cute", but also "helpless" for example. So, why "dead", then ? To me, this has an darker subtext.
To me, the term "homophobic slur" points into the "hating minorities" direction.

I think you are not merely breaking it down. You are breaking it down and then proceed by assigning rather specific meaning to quite arbitrary words. With the only evidence being that graphic novel and a single article on a homophobic slur.

Not to mention that "dead mouse" would put that guy into the role of the suppressed people in the graphic novel. If someone would take the role of the Nazis, he'd probably call himself "cat".

And finally, here's what Wikipedia has to say on the name "Deadmau5":
He adopted the name Deadmau5, which referred to a dead mouse he found in his computer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadmau5#Early_life
More details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadmau5#Name_origin

My bottom line: I don't know the guy, so he might be an ass anyways. But presenting "he may be a neo-nazi" as the only hypothesis based on that little information does seem a bit unfair.

Not to mention that "dead mouse" would put that guy into the role of the suppressed people in the graphic novel. If someone would take the role of the Nazis, he'd probably call himself "cat".

Rather the opposite. He wants mouse / mice to be dead. That's my personal interpretation.

But, yes, I don't know him.

Ubisoft's top class code optimization talent strikes again:
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/far-cry-new-dawn-pc-performance-analysis/
Far Cry New Dawn suffers from major CPU optimization issues. The game appears to be heavily using one CPU thread, and we did not notice any major performance differences between quad-cores and six-cores. We’ve also experienced some stuttering issues while exploring the environments. It’s obvious that the Dunia Engine needs to start using a better API that can properly scale on multiple CPU cores/threads
AC4:2.

Last edited:
https://graphtreon.com/creator/jimquisition

How interesting. I wonder if that means all his information is based on a genuinely well-researched altruistic desire to spread truth - or if there could potentially be some other kind of motivation involved :)

Considering the frequency of his videos, it's certainly very plausible that he puts real work into researching and confirming his information before opening his mouth.

*cough*

Also, if you think about his overall crusade against the gaming industry - I find the whole thing deliciously ironic.

That what money does to people is, amazingly, not limited to CEOs of big companies.

If there's that much profit in endlessly repeating what people want to hear, it's only natural that people will do what they can to have something to say.

Inevitably, it will end like it always ends when things grow too big and gets out of hand.

I think the lesson here, ultimately, is that we need to look at the system - not human beings. Why? because we can only change the former.

While I agree he's been talking the same talking points for a while, I think those points are important, not just for the gaming industry. Besides, some people (myself included) watch him for his performance as well as for what he has to say. And his performance is still top notch.
And him getting stale is hardly the same as a CEO firing 10% of his employees after the record year. Thus, I don't see the irony.

if you think about his overall crusade against the gaming industry - I find the whole thing deliciously ironic.
I don't think about anything, instead I watched vids where he speaks about his past and has no shame saying that he was "piece of shit". In fact I've linked to some before, Onions even several times.

But there is a difference between must pay bills otherwise homeless workers and professional scammers who earn millions already. Unlike professional scammers, the very same former "piece of shit" decided to change the vinyl record and went into morals first, filth last. As you might see, although not paid by industry shills any more to shill even more, he's not homeless.

Can't remember the last time I disagreed when he spoken about the industry. His taste when it comes to games however, sucks. Goes with the territory - one can't be a consoles user and have a taste. Consoles are all about brainwashing people to accept mediocrity and obsolete technologies.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On topic, epic fail article on PC gamer, whatta surprise, right?
https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-8-biggest-problems-so-far/
Anthem's 8 biggest problems so far
I have no idea what are they talking about in it as I didn't spend money on that mmo, but PCG doesn't see that it's biggest problem is shilling - on that very same site. How many articles about the recent microtransactions mania product you can number on PCG today? Didn't count, but I think it's: 8.

While Anthem is mentioned in the next article, being paid by EA to shill for it, the whole thing is what rock you were living under for recent few years bullshit:
https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/18/anthem-faster-loads-times/
Anthem – get faster loads times and solve performance issues by installing on an SSD
Hi Columbo.

FO76 is a perfect thing! To sell mushrooms.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/18/po...ee-copies-of-fallout-76-with-ps4-thumbsticks/
In a limited-time promotion to rid itself of a load of PS4 thumbsticks, Polish retailer X-Kom threw in a free copy of Fallout 76.

Just a few weeks ago, GameStop Germany was giving away Fallout 76 for free with used PS4 controllers.
No, you don't need to check the date, it's not april 1st.

Last edited:
While I agree he's been talking the same talking points for a while, I think those points are important, not just for the gaming industry. Besides, some people (myself included) watch him for his performance as well as for what he has to say. And his performance is still top notch.
And him getting stale is hardly the same as a CEO firing 10% of his employees after the record year. Thus, I don't see the irony.

I'm talking about the trend and the tendency. The fact that, the bigger you get, the worse it gets - doesn't change that he seems to be emulating the exact same paradigm only on a much smaller scale.

The message is important, true - and I completely agree with him about the problems of the industry.

To me, where it gets distorted and dangerous is when you over-sell it, and you ignore the nuances of what it's like to compete in the higher levels.

On the other hand, I feel the same way about the obscene hatred towards politicians or whatever other exclusive segment of the populace where human nature is particularly visible.

If we don't try to understand how things happen - and only focus on the shit - we'll never solve anything.

Again, it's not about Kotick or any specific CEO. It's about a system and a culture - and we all contribute to it.

We don't change anything by pretending we're not human ourselves - and that money makes us all do things that aren't "good" or "beneficial".

It's hypocritical.

What's even worse is when people like Sterling speak from a position of authority that they clearly don't deserve.

Now, I stopped watching his videos a long time ago - but I can give you my personal guarentee that his insight into the gaming industry is skewed to the point of absurdity and the ridiculously one-sided.

Making a video about a tirade against a single person in such an elaborate corporation and every other sentence is demonizing that person and saying "Fire Kotick" a million times does not represent anything even remotely nuanced or based in reality. It's pop-culture perpetuation of the outraged gamer indignation.

I doubt he's enjoying himself too much, either. I think he's trapped - like so many YT personalities have trapped themselves in this strange new semi-celebrity culture so infested with misinformation and stupidity crusades.

He might as well rage about any game that isn't open source freeware. Big companies do what makes money so we only have ourselves to blame for buying horse armour.

There are only a few tiny devs who make what they want to play themselves. Some of them have never even published a game because that was never really the point to begin with. for example, all the good rogue-likes are freeware. It's only been in recent times a few have appeared on Steam but they're usually not very good.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/jimquisition

How interesting. I wonder if that means all his information is based on a genuinely well-researched altruistic desire to spread truth - or if there could potentially be some other kind of motivation involved :)

Considering the frequency of his videos, it's certainly very plausible that he puts real work into researching and confirming his information before opening his mouth.

*cough*

Also, if you think about his overall crusade against the gaming industry - I find the whole thing deliciously ironic.

You are right of course. We should only let verified company shills report about gaming. At least, they are (obviously) close to the industry. So they have to know the truth, and should be the ones preaching it. We'd avoid all those criti... err.. I mean, unfounded outrage, crusades, stuff like that.

You are right of course. We should only let verified company shills report about gaming. At least, they are (obviously) close to the industry. So they have to know the truth, and should be the ones preaching it. We'd avoid all those criti… err.. I mean, unfounded outrage, crusades, stuff like that.

I'm in shock that those are the only two options you can understand :)

But I'm getting the picture. I understand where you're coming from.

To be frank, I'd pegged you as a little more objective and a little more capable of going beyond that sort of mindset.

However, I concede that I will not make much sense to someone like you - and that there's just "us versus them".

It's fine. I suggest we stop communicating about this particular topic - as it will get us nowhere.

Oh dear, I guess I should use more smilies in my posts.

No need, I don't take things as seriously as it seems.

I'm one of those weird people who can like other people online even when I disagree with them.

So, if it's of interest to you - I like you :)

But going in circles about a topic that we're clearly not going to agree about won't help either of us, or anyone listening!

It'll just get circular and eventually it will become such a habit that we don't even read what's written.

Hey, no worries. I just can't help being triggered by some of your posts in this context. ;)

Hey, no worries. I just can't help being triggered by some of your posts in this context. ;)

That's a common response. There's a reason I articulate them in that way :)

It's a cheap tactic, I will admit. But it's effective.

But it's lost its luster along the way - and now it's more like a habit.

I think it's what joxer is trying to do sometimes, but he's gone way over the top - and now people just ignore him.

I honestly don't know why people don't ignore me more than they do - but I guess I still have that gift ;)

Back
Top Bottom