Sunless Skies - More Content Planned

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
ExpansiveDLC reports that Sunless Skies is a commercial success and the developer is willing to support it long term, meaning more content and DLC.

Meanwhile, Failbetter Games are preparing a major update, due for release in March/April time. This will give players 'more to see and do while travelling' and include 'more narrative choice and consequence'

And, of course, there will be even more unusual ways to die.

Failbetter Games appear to be in excellent financial health following the release of Sunless Skies and the game is continuing to evolve and grow. We'll have much more on Sunless Skies very soon!
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Anyone playing this? How is it?
The first day release Let's play videos I watched did not fully convince me that it was living up to the brilliance of Sunless Sea. Though, I only played that about a year after its release, so Sunless Skies might improve a lot until then. Anyways, interested in what you guys think!

I'm playing it, it is the same creature as Sunless Seas, with arguably better art and bass reverb. I'm playing it as a survival type game with no saves, "legacy mode", so approach the horror with trepidation and care. The humour tends towards a critique of the hubris of empire and does play with valid trends of the victorian age. I am sort of in the exploring stage of the game, have only resolved some early stage quest lines.

Last edited:
The first day release Let's play videos I watched did not fully convince me that it was living up to the brilliance of Sunless Sea.

Hard to tell without stating what SS brilliance is based on.

Devs have been listening to customers and kept the course they showed when delivering the zubmariner DLC: making content browsing more accessible, less gated behind gameplay some felt was too peculiar.

For the rest, SK compares too much to SS and fails to stand on its own.
The way the atmosphere is set through art, music, writing etc might work in SS than in SK for people as it might be the opposite.

I'm playing it, it is the same creature as Sunless Seas, with arguably better art and bass reverb. I'm playing it as a survival type game with no saves, "legacy mode", so approach the horror with trepidation and care. The humour tends towards a critique of the hubris of empire and does play with valid trends of the victorian age. I am sort of in the exploring stage of the game, have only resolved some early stage quest lines.

Goodie. Would love to hear what you think after spending more time in the game.

Hard to tell without stating what SS brilliance is based on.

Devs have been listening to customers and kept the course they showed when delivering the zubmariner DLC: making content browsing more accessible, less gated behind gameplay some felt was too peculiar.

For the rest, SK compares too much to SS and fails to stand on its own.
The way the atmosphere is set through art, music, writing etc might work in SS than in SK for people as it might be the opposite.

I see what you mean. I recall noticing that they adapted their messaging right after release to market SK as a direct sequel to SS rather than the softer link of 'a new game from the creators of SS, sharing the same universe'. Probably they heard back the same, that the game was too much alike, and so they tried turning that around bringing the two even closer in people's minds. Or maybe that was just in mind head.
Anyhow, I do hope the game sells good, and we can see more titles from the studio.

Back
Top Bottom