Stardew Valley - More Singleplayer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer reports that Stardew Valley will get more single player content.

The game has a big multiplayer update on the horizon which will add co-operative play within the same town. But, beyond that? Sadly, it felt like Barone was finally finished tinkering with his masterpiece.

Well, that's no longer the case. In a post to Twitter last night, Barone revealed he was once more back working on single-player Stardew stuff, and teased what it might be:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"> I'm working on some new Stardew Valley content, to be released with the upcoming free multiplayer update. This will affect single-player, too! I'll share more when the release gets closer. Though I'll keep some things secret (more fun) pic.twitter.com/rgWCt8IIRi

— ConcernedApe (@ConcernedApe) November 14, 2017
[/quote]More information.

I'm very excited! This was my game of the year for 2016, and I'm very close to hitting 1,000 hours as well.

And that soundtrack, what an absolute work of art.

1000 hours?

I got 25hrs, lol. I stopped playing after dying in a stupid way in the mine (I was too greedy) then I wanted to restart but I got sidetracked.

What are the goals in this game? Are there NPCs to woo and marry? Is there a story or quest? When I was a kid I liked sandboxes like SimCity. But they no longer appeal to me.

Nice, I really liked the game, though I didn't finish it. Might jump back again with my GF.

What are the goals in this game? Are there NPCs to woo and marry? Is there a story or quest? When I was a kid I liked sandboxes like SimCity. But they no longer appeal to me.
It's not SimCity. Unlike everyone who'll tell you it's some ancient ZX Spectrum or another ancient gadget game clone, it's not really. Assuming you're PC audience you've seen it already: imagine Sims 3 with World Adventures expansion but simplified.
So yes, there are goals, a simplistic story and quests. And simple combat. Marriage is in, shaggying not so much. :) You didn't ask but there are skills with levels (capped at 10), dungeons to explore, item upgrades, etc.

Just as Sims 3 and unlike whatever that other nonPC game everyone is shilling for is, Stardew Valley allows modding. Dunno how many mods there are now, but when I was playing it on release there were quite a few nifty ones.

Note that I don't like sandboxes. Yet I put more than 100 hours into enjoying Stardew Valley. Maybe the problem is not my taste but the different sandbox design. If that's so, this game is an example of sandbox done right.
Buy it.

Last edited:
It's a lot like a harvest moon on pc. Great game.

I think I remember hearing that the combat was either boring or very simplistic, which is what has kept me from trying this.

That's fair, but it's really not a combat focused game and you don't spend all that much time fighting. If that sounds unappealing to you then this is definitely not the game for you.

Rune factory? Never heard of it. Another Nintendo Gameboy title?

Rune factory? Never heard of it. Another Nintendo Gameboy title?

Nintendo DS...and it's a spinoff of the Harvest Moon series which is the inspiration for Stardew Valley.

I wonder if all that Nintendo trash was also inspiration for Sims games.
Also I wonder if porting Stardew Valley to other platforms, modding Stardew Valley and resulting mods were inspired by that same cancerous company.

Sorry about that.

Rune Factory was more combat/RPG based and had less emphasis on farming. Stardew Valley was clearly inspired by it, but has much more emphasis on building up your farm. Both games have different strengths and weaknesses and I enjoyed them both.

Back
Top Bottom