|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Phoenix Point - Free DLC

Default Phoenix Point - Free DLC

November 26th, 2017, 03:43
OnlySP reports that the upcoming turn-based strategy game Phoenix Point will get a free DLC at launch:

XCOM Creator’s Phoenix Point Getting Unmet Stretch Goal as Free DLC

Phoenix Point, the upcoming turn-based strategy game from XCOM creator Julian Gollop, will receive free DLC following its initial release.

The DLC in question will be the Floating Phoenix Base that was set to be unlocked at $850,000 during the initial Fig campaign. In the main game, players will be able to set up a land-based operation, while this DLC will enable sea exploration, allowing players to explore the source of the alien incursion more effectively.

Snapshot Games made the announcement to celebrate the milestone of having acquired more than USD$1 million through its ongoing crowdfunding and investment campaign. Alongside this announcement, Snapshot Games also revealed that the studio’s staff has doubled in size since the project began its crowdfunding campaign, with Gollop saying, “we have added some tremendous design, art and technical talent to the team.”
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 03:43
Yay, good to know that!

Thanks Snapshot Games and Mr. Gollop!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 06:13
I'm very pleased we are getting the floating base. This sets things up nicely for an expansion that goes underwater.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 06:15
Everything I hear about this simply makes me more enthused to play it. Maybe even on day one!!~

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 06:19
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Everything I hear about this simply makes me more enthused to play it. Maybe even on day one!!~
In Gollop we trust!

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 12:59
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Agreed. This could be a new classic.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 13:10
Looking forward to this quite a bit.

That said, "Free DLC" - in this case - sounds like content that was always planned and now they're adding it a bit later, hoping to profit from the PR spin that it's actually DLC that should have cost something.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 14:26
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
That said, "Free DLC" - in this case - sounds like content that was always planned and now they're adding it a bit later, hoping to profit from the PR spin that it's actually DLC that should have cost something.
It was a stretch goal from the original Fig campaign that wasn't reached. I guess they're classifying it as DLC because it sounds like only backers get it free, everyone else presumably has to pay for it.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 14:45
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
It was a stretch goal from the original Fig campaign that wasn't reached. I guess they're classifying it as DLC because it sounds like only backers get it free, everyone else presumably has to pay for it.
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean by spin. Of course, there's no way to know - and maybe it wasn't part of the plan all along. I just think something like Sea Exploration would be hard to implement without having planned for it in terms of assets and functionality.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

In any case, I'm very happy to be able to explore in that way - as I'm a huge TFtD fan.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 14:46
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
That's my understanding as well, although Darts point probably isn't wrong either way. They could have just included it in the game instead of making it "DLC", but the latter might have more marketing value even if it is free for everyone.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 18:35
Floating base was always going to be a DLC even if they have reached it during their fig camapign as far as I know and it was going to be free for the backers. I don't see spin here, but hey I was the backer so I don't care if they are spinging it in someone's eye.

borovnica

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 26th, 2017, 21:27
If this company was like Beamdog they would instead release UFO EE and just add widescreen support and new UI as part of the package and charge it 2x UFO cost.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 27th, 2017, 10:04
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
If this company was like Beamdog they would instead release UFO EE and just add widescreen support and new UI as part of the package and charge it 2x UFO cost.
Yes, Arch we know that you despise Beamdog - you may have mentioned it before.

But this is in no way any reason to derail threads about different games time and again.
--
blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

November 27th, 2017, 11:47
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post

But this is in no way any reason to derail threads about different games time and again.
On Codex there is a saying: "Every topic eventually becomes a Pillars of Eternity topic". Maybe we should have a "Every topic eventually becomes a Beamdog topic."

Archangel

SasqWatch

+1:

November 27th, 2017, 16:30
On Codex there is a saying: "Every topic eventually becomes a Pillars of Eternity topic". Maybe we should have a "Every topic eventually becomes a Beamdog topic."
Why would we strive to be MORE like the codex?!?!?!?

Edit: On topic, I am backer of this and I approve. It is a little weird calling it day 1 DLC instead of including it in the base game at release.
--
My Backlog
http://www.backloggery.com/mattynoaa

Nephologist

Sentinel

November 27th, 2017, 17:43
Where did you read it is a day 1 dlc?

Archangel

SasqWatch

November 27th, 2017, 18:35
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post

I never get tired of people grinding their axes. Keep that blade sharp, Archangel!

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

November 27th, 2017, 19:11
I wish I had an axe to grind. Will a fork do ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

November 27th, 2017, 20:34
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I never get tired of people grinding their axes. Keep that blade sharp, Archangel!
I don't even hate Beamdog, I bought both BG1EE and Siege of Dragonspear. I played BG1EE for 100h at least.
When I tried to mod Bg1 before EE it took me half a day and I got angry because even after I got everything working some of the mods broke the balance of the game.
So BG1EE was worth the money. SoD was something completely new and I played it on Insane difficulty (but without damage bonuses to enemy units) so I get best AI for enemies and most dangerous spawns. Again they made something worth the money.
IWDEE came in a package with BG2 subclasses, playing that was a completely different experience than normal IWD.

After than they just went on to cash grabbing stuff and that got me angry. BG2EE was released with barely any improvements and changes (they only added content for their new NPCs that are not that good). PSTEE was worse (because they only added new UI) and NWNEE terrible (because this game is broken by design and could have used a proper EE or overhaul instead of just new UI).

Archangel

SasqWatch

+1:

November 27th, 2017, 20:47
I don't even hate Beamdog, I bought both BG1EE and Siege of Dragonspear. I played BG1EE for 100h at least.
When I tried to mod Bg1 before EE it took me half a day and I got angry because even after I got everything working some of the mods broke the balance of the game.
So BG1EE was worth the money. SoD was something completely new and I played it on Insane difficulty (but without damage bonuses to enemy units) so I get best AI for enemies and most dangerous spawns. Again they made something worth the money.
IWDEE came in a package with BG2 subclasses, playing that was a completely different experience than normal IWD.

After than they just went on to cash grabbing stuff and that got me angry. BG2EE was released with barely any improvements and changes (they only added content for their new NPCs that are not that good). PSTEE was worse (because they only added new UI) and NWNEE terrible (because this game is broken by design and could have used a proper EE or overhaul instead of just new UI).
That's all great, grand and wonderful but what does it have to do with Phoenix Point or floating bases?
--
My Backlog
http://www.backloggery.com/mattynoaa

Nephologist

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Phoenix Point - Free DLC