Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Review @ GameShark

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy has been reviewed at GameShark, who awarded a score of "B", saying "generic" turn-based gaming is better than none at all. On difficulty and AI:
Those battles are monstrously rough, however. The AI is fairly good at exploiting weak spots and attacking weakened units which are on the verge of death but the design itself assumes you are the Elven Legacy version of Patton because it throws wave after wave of bad guys at you. I’ve been playing these types of games for well over a decade and I had to resort to playing on the Easy level, which seemed about right from a challenge perspective. It’s a brutally tough game.
The AI is tough and makes for a seriously challenging game but it would be nice if more info was presented to you while a battle is raging. There's no visual identifier as to how many points of strength a unit takes after a scrum or even if a unit dies -- you need to keep track of this yourself. Even as spells start flying around the field it's tough to figure out who is doing what and the camera tends to zip around making it even more confusing. When a high rank unit dies I’d like to know aside from realizing, "Hey where'd my archers go?"
More information.

I agree regarding the lack of details regarding damage, effects and fatalities. Those prompts we're all used to just aren't there. But I don't get all the complaining about difficulty. I never fancied myself as being particularly good at this kind of hard core strategy, but once I realized you have to take the AI seriously I did all right.

The enemy does what you would do: they isolate weak units and take them out, they seek out your disadvantages and put the screws to you. I think that's great. After the first mission, there are no cakewalks and no filler. You've got to put your pointy hat on and start to think if you want to get anywhere in this game. I love it.

It's a classical wargame? I haven't played the first, in fact didn't knew even the name. Is it classical or more like Heroes of M&M? I have Heroes 5 on Mac waiting I even install it but well after King's Bounty it could become hard to get interest in it.

It's weird but I can't find any description that make me understand what is this game. I know there's a demo, but my point is to know if it worth I try it.

About AI, King's Bounty the Legend is an amazing game with ton of tactical depth but the AI is quite pathetic, it's still very fun to play but use the automatic fights and the result is awful.

It's a classical wargame? I haven't played the first, in fact didn't knew even the name. Is it classical or more like Heroes of M&M? I have Heroes 5 on Mac waiting I even install it but well after King's Bounty it could become hard to get interest in it.

It's weird but I can't find any description that make me understand what is this game. I know there's a demo, but my point is to know if it worth I try it.

About AI, King's Bounty the Legend is an amazing game with ton of tactical depth but the AI is quite pathetic, it's still very fun to play but use the automatic fights and the result is awful.

the original is worth its money, its got a longer single plyer campaign. (fantasy wars). but this elven lagacy is alot shorter. its also a bit harder to play/finish! nad it lacks (for me) a good story.

It's a classical wargame? I haven't played the first, in fact didn't knew even the name. Is it classical or more like Heroes of M&M?

It's very, very classical - basically, a remake of Fantasy General, if you ever played that (which is, in turn, based on Panzer General and all that jazz). A very good game, imho, though the complaints on difficulty are more than justified - it really is pretty damn hard.

It's very, very classical - basically, a remake of Fantasy General, if you ever played that (which is, in turn, based on Panzer General and all that jazz). A very good game, imho, though the complaints on difficulty are more than justified - it really is pretty damn hard.
Ok thanks for the details, then I'll skip, myself I gave up wargames when they become RTS or too serious and too detailed. I regret so much the old time with games like Battle Isle and A certain General that was non RTS and funny games.

Ok thanks for the details, then I'll skip, myself I gave up wargames when they become RTS or too serious and too detailed. I regret so much the old time with games like Battle Isle and A certain General that was non RTS and funny games.
The game isn't too serious or detailed, and there's no resource management. The Easy setting is more forgiving as well. I just finished KB and loved it. At least give the demo a try.

it is like battle isle ALOT !! only in a fantasy setting.
which reminds me.... any idea if that game is playable on windows xp?
and where to get it?

This is not an RTS or 'too detailed', it's basically an fantasy hex-based strategy game with units with different strengths and weaknesses (rangers are good in woodlands, cavalry good on plains, stuff like that). I loved the original, I have this one in the box. Hopefully by the time its time comes I can add lots of user-created stuff.

Back
Top Bottom