What games are you playing now?

Still playing LOTRO. Having a pleasant time as Anhima in Mordor.

pibbuR who as Pibbur currently rests in Moria.

Do you play on Legendary servers or regular ones?

I adore LotRO - but I had to stop playing last time I tried it, because of (too frequent) lag spikes. It's the sort of thing I just can't deal with - as I can't enjoy combat and such with that problem.

But I've considered trying it again, because I suspect the Legendary servers might not have lag spikes - as they're supposedly much less taxed. I believe the current developers have said that the legendary item system is a big part of the problem.

Anyway, what's your experience with lag? :)

Speaking of lag, it’s become atrocious on ESO in Cyrodiil lately (NA server). If it weren’t for my guilds I would have hung up PvP a long time ago.

Speaking of lag, it’s become atrocious on ESO in Cyrodiil lately (NA server). If it weren’t for my guilds I would have hung up PvP a long time ago.

Really? How unfortunate. I thought they'd recently upgraded all their server hardware - and done a lot of changes to how things are calculated behind the scenes.

Luckily for me, I don't particularly care about ESO PvP - so I'm rarely in Cyrodiil. That said, the few times I've done large scale PvP - it's been mostly lag-free for me. I was always rather impressed by how many people could be fighting each other with reasonable performance.

I certainly think that's the case with the Anchor-runs that I've farmed a lot. A ton of people with minimal performance issues.

At least in my experience.

Do you play on Legendary servers or regular ones?

I adore LotRO - but I had to stop playing last time I tried it, because of (too frequent) lag spikes. It's the sort of thing I just can't deal with - as I can't enjoy combat and such with that problem.

But I've considered trying it again, because I suspect the Legendary servers might not have lag spikes - as they're supposedly much less taxed. I believe the current developers have said that the legendary item system is a big part of the problem.

Anyway, what's your experience with lag? :)
I'm playing on a regular server (Laurelin). No problems with lag.

I haven't played ESO for some time, but can't remember significant lag problems last time I did.

pibbuR whose attention to ... things may be a bit lagging

I'm playing on a regular server (Laurelin). No problems with lag.

I haven't played ESO for some time, but can't remember significant lag problems last time I did.

pibbuR whose attention to … things may be a bit lagging

We're on the same server, then :)

Meaning you're either not the type to notice lag - or I'm imagining things.

It's not network latency in the traditional sense - it's server load, and it's a confirmed issue by the devs AFAIK.

But thanks for the info.

I played ESO for quite a bit when the Tamriel expansion released. I liked it but my problem was waiting around for loot to respawn. Crates and alchemy reagents were almost always empty and you'd have to wait a couple minutes at each for them to respawn. I just got bored and never went back. It'd probably be worth doing again.

I played ESO for quite a bit when the Tamriel expansion released. I liked it but my problem was waiting around for loot to respawn. Crates and alchemy reagents were almost always empty and you'd have to wait a couple minutes at each for them to respawn. I just got bored and never went back. It'd probably be worth doing again.

Really? I consider ESO one of the easiest games to farm in - but, of course, it's still an MMO with a certain economic rigidity.

I wish this thread's name was "what singleplayer games...".
Games ofc, so noone comes and says "I'm on Zynga's Farmville" which is grindy cowclicker and not game.

I finally started my long awaited replay of The Temple of Elemental Evil last night.

My god… the village of Hommlet is easily the most boring starting area in any RPG I've ever played, and I'm not being hyperbolic in the least when I say that.

Hahaha yeah, just like the module was in....I think it released in '79? The whole point was to book out of town immediately and get to adventuring! I thought the computer game captured that same feeling perfectly.

I've started playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker again.
The first time around I had some technical difficulty. I resolved that, but there were some bugs that were pissing me off (e.g. the one where your character freezes due to something being out of range, but initially wasn't, and you can't end their turn). This meant I lost some steam and ended up putting it back in the queue.

Anyway back on that horse.
I'm mostly enjoying it, but boy is there some dumb shit re: quest/encounter design.
Just one example:
You encounter some slavers who want to use one of your members as a replacement for an escaped slave. The likelihood of surviving combat is very low (as I managed to demonstrate several times). If you ask your party members, one of them suggest letting themselves be taken, and we could follow and bust them out later with help.
However, if you choose this good idea it counts as a Neutral Evil shift (WTF?).
The only "right" choice is a Lawful Good choice to say "slavery is evil!!1!" and get killed in combat. I think if you choose that, you should lose a point of Intelligence.
Of course, the"Evil" choice is the right choice, because then you track them down, free some slaves to help you in combat, and when you win two of the slaves can join your party.
Anyway, hoping it improves.

I've started playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker again.

The first time around I had some technical difficulty. I resolved that, but there were some bugs that were pissing me off (e.g. the one where your character freezes due to something being out of range, but initially wasn't, and you can't end their turn). This meant I lost some steam and ended up putting it back in the queue.

Anyway back on that horse.

I'm mostly enjoying it, but boy is there some dumb shit re: quest/encounter design.

Just one example:

You encounter some slavers who want to use one of your members as a replacement for an escaped slave. The likelihood of surviving combat is very low (as I managed to demonstrate several times). If you ask your party members, one of them suggest letting themselves be taken, and we could follow and bust them out later with help.

However, if you choose this good idea it counts as a Neutral Evil shift (WTF?).

The only "right" choice is a Lawful Good choice to say "slavery is evil!!1!" and get killed in combat. I think if you choose that, you should lose a point of Intelligence.

Of course, the"Evil" choice is the right choice, because then you track them down, free some slaves to help you in combat, and when you win two of the slaves can join your party.

Anyway, hoping it improves.
I think the reason for that is that you have no real idea as to
1 you will be able to catch up with them
2 even if you do, they may kill your friend
3 they could kill you then too

The fight shouldn't have been that difficult though from what I remember. Did you use up potions, spells,...?

I think the reason for that is that you have no real idea as to
1 you will be able to catch up with them
2 even if you do, they may kill your friend
3 they could kill you then too
That doesn't mean it's an Evil choice, and it's the plan that's presented by the player that offers to be taken, after it is pointed out to you that the chances of surviving are slim. It's dumb that trying to take the cunning option (and succeeding!) is considered Evil.

The fight shouldn't have been that difficult though from what I remember. Did you use up potions, spells,…?
I was very low level (mostly 2nd) with four characters. Obviously I tried to use spells and potions.

It does get better, Shagnak. Since my lead character was a paladin, I took that route as well and I do recall it being a tough fight.
It's a lot easier now that I have 7 characters to choose from :biggrin:

It's a lot easier now that I have 7 characters to choose from :biggrin:

Do I gather from this that you somehow found yourself at the annoying slavery meeting before you'd done the Tomb quest to catch up with Tartuccio? If so, you're raging at the open world game structure generally rather than the game itself, if you know what I mean.

Do I gather from this that you somehow found yourself at the annoying slavery meeting before you'd done the Tomb quest to catch up with Tartuccio? If so, you're raging at the open world game structure generally rather than the game itself, if you know what I mean.
No, I was raging at the dumb implementation of the encounter. It gives you the another option, but is bone-headed about it.

Edit: FWIW, I prefer open world games to have harder encounters that you can stumble onto (just return later if you can't handle it), and the developers should at least be commended for having the option in there for if you stumble upon it early.

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out what to play in my upcoming vacation. CDPR is taking forever and a day to release their stuff - but I think it's a wise decision to shut the fuck up instead of what they originally attempted by doing actual marketing campaign for patches. That in itself sort of tells you all you need to know about their position :)

It's been what, 8 months since release - and it's still pretty awkward in terms of immersion breaking stuff - even though most of the quest-bugs seem to have been fixed at least.

I have this totally unjustified feeling that the next "big" patch will make some actual improvements to certain core issues - but I have no idea where I'm getting that from.

Also, the "summer" release for the System Shock remake is certainly looking less and less likely - so that's probably out as well.

The RDR2 DLSS patch was a bit of a disappointment, too. It's probably the first example of this where I prefer to play without it. Still, RDR2 runs at a reasonably steady 60 FPS with everything maxed on my rig, so that's ok. I'm leaning towards this one.

In the meantime, I'm playing ESO - which remains my favorite modern MMO. I considered GW2, SWtOR and LotRO as well - but ESO is just the best one.

I've always wanted to make a hybrid character - and they've taken a lot of small steps towards making that viable. I think now is the time.

It's going to be a hybrid Dunmer - focusing on big boom-ish AoE damage, with supreme Ultimate generation. The idea is to have the big powers back up after each encounter. Should be great for CP farming :)

Also, the "summer" release for the System Shock remake is certainly looking less and less likely - so that's probably out as well.

I'd say there's exactly zero chance of that happening. In fact, I'll be surprised if it gets released in 2021.

I regret having backed it for as much as I did. The development cycle has been a complete joke.

Back
Top Bottom