Suikoden III - PC Meets Console JRPG - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Suikoden III - PC Meets Console JRPG

Default Suikoden III - PC Meets Console JRPG

November 8th, 2015, 01:16
Hey all.

Just felt like posting after taking a little break from posting here. Just wanted to say that I think the PS2 RPG, Suikoden III, is an amazing gem. It reminds me a lot of PC RPGs, such as Baldur's Gate, in that you can recruit many party members to your cause, each with a unique personality, back story and stats.

The thing I really wanted to share with you all is the level of customization this game offers. Check this out. Each character has unique stats, as well as skills and runes they can equip (which grant certain magical spells and also passive bonuses).

Each character has a certain level of natural ability for a skill or magical rune, and that ability can be tested at a training center. Basically, your character my look like this with their skills:

Rating - Skill
E - Parry
D - Swing
D - Armor Protect
C - Damage
E - Wind Magic

Got it so far? Perhaps a character will have a natural ability to learn Parry. That means you can train it for less skill points than it would usually cost and they can increase their grade higher. However, you are free to customize your characters however you want them. So, perhaps a character is average in Wind Magic, but you really want them to learn Wind Magic, so you can train them at a higher cost and still get the same upgrades other characters would.

Basically, it leads to a *ton* of customization, since there are 108 possible characters in the game. Of course, some of them *may* not be available for battle and are more suited for things like being a shopkeeper or blacksmith, but all the characters you use for battle are freely customizable. This leads to a deep rabbit hole that is a lot of fun to toy with.

Just wanted to share this little bit with you all. Suikoden feels like a PC RPG mixed with a JRPG story and presentation. I suggest you all check it out (and play the first 2 games in the series as well - both are great).

Ciao

- Fluent

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

November 8th, 2015, 01:48
So we should all check out consoles? Others might, but me…
Maybe if I get lobotomized. Although I doubt even then.

If a game is good, it's on PC. If it's not on PC yet, it'll be soon. If it's good. If it's overrated consoley stuff like GTA5, then it won't be soon.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 01:56
You can play it with a PS2 Emulator called PCSX2 on PC. Just hook up a controller and you're ready to rock! Of course, in order to legally download an ISO of the game, you need to own it, so buy a used copy off Ebay and then download the ISO and voila! PS2 gaming on the PC. Enjoy!

Deleted User

November 8th, 2015, 03:01
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Just hook up a controller
You must be joking.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 04:57
Suikoden 3, in my top 3 RPGs of all time of all platforms (that I've played). Loved the game so much I had to slow down my gametime at the end as I didn't want to say good bye to the characters.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

November 8th, 2015, 07:03
I know I played at least one of these games on my first Playstation back in the 90's. I'd pick it up again in a heartbeat if it came to GoG or Steam.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
+1:

November 8th, 2015, 07:31
Suikoden is an amazing series. IV is the only one in the series I never got into enough to finish.

greywolf00

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 10:46
A dive in the past. Not the worst of it.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 17:37
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
You must be joking.
It's an older console game, thus a controller is used.

Are you saying you are not versatile enough to adapt to different control schemes other than Kb+M?

Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Suikoden 3, in my top 3 RPGs of all time of all platforms (that I've played). Loved the game so much I had to slow down my gametime at the end as I didn't want to say good bye to the characters.
I didn't even mention the characters in the initial post, but they are indeed great. I'm a little under 10 hours in thus far and every character I've met has been wonderful, unique and fun to meet. Even certain nameless RPGs have some hilarious and cute dialog (like the soldier in Vinay del Zexay who is boasting to the little kids. He says "And then I ran in there beserk and said, "Take that, you lizards!"" Just fun little stuff like that adds a lot to the game.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I know I played at least one of these games on my first Playstation back in the 90's. I'd pick it up again in a heartbeat if it came to GoG or Steam.
I don't see that happening, but you never know. Would be sweet.

Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
Suikoden is an amazing series. IV is the only one in the series I never got into enough to finish.
I played IV recently and didn't think it was as bad as many made it out to be. All in all, it's still your typical Suikoden game, except normal land areas where you would run through and get into random encounters have mostly been replaced by seafaring from location to location. I played it for some time but then also got sidetracked. Haven't played V at all but I heard it's also quite good.

Deleted User

November 8th, 2015, 17:45
I played 3 and it was pretty good. It's *mighty* dated graphics now but I certainly had fun at the time. I never got 4 (reviews weren't good, if I remember right) and didn't even know there was a 5.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant was another fun one from that generation that never showed up on PC. The ring system is a nice compromise between skill and stat based combat and the story is really outlandish.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

November 8th, 2015, 18:17
Mighty dated graphics for Suikoden III? I beg to differ.

Well, at least on the PCSX2 emulator, you can basically run the game at 4K resolution (6x the native resolution of the PS2), and add graphical enhancements such as FXAA, MSAA and more. Believe it or not, the game looks gorgeous on my 55" 4K UHD TV, and that's saying something.

Now, without those enhancements, perhaps it's a bit dated, but that still wouldn't hinder my enjoyment at all, since I still consider playing ancient games a lot of fun and don't really care about graphics.

IV did receive poor reviews but I disagree with them. It's not on the level of the first 3 games for me but it was still a fun Suikoden game with a new twist.

V supposedly goes "back to the roots" and delivers an excellent Suikoden game.

Deleted User

November 9th, 2015, 05:32
I played Suikoden 4, and don't remember why, but didn't care for it (I think I even quit it halfway). I also played 5 and liked it, but my favorite was 3 by far.
I think what I liked the most about Suikoden 3 is that you experienced the same events from 3 different perspectives. Same war, when you play character 1 (from side A of the war) you are a loyal general that sees side B as evil terrorists. Then when playing character 2 (from side B of the war), you are heroic rebels against an oppressive government. Then when playing character 3 (a neutral merchant), you are just a common citizen trying to live a normal life in a war-torn kingdom. (Sort of made up events, just as an example).

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

November 11th, 2015, 23:52
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
I played Suikoden 4, and don't remember why, but didn't care for it (I think I even quit it halfway). I also played 5 and liked it, but my favorite was 3 by far.
I think what I liked the most about Suikoden 3 is that you experienced the same events from 3 different perspectives. Same war, when you play character 1 (from side A of the war) you are a loyal general that sees side B as evil terrorists. Then when playing character 2 (from side B of the war), you are heroic rebels against an oppressive government. Then when playing character 3 (a neutral merchant), you are just a common citizen trying to live a normal life in a war-torn kingdom. (Sort of made up events, just as an example).
Yes, the Trinity system shows the story from 3 unique perspectives, all with their own beliefs, truths and interesting moments. That, to me, is a huge part of the brilliance of this game. The storytelling is so good here, with so much character and charm packed in along the way, that you will quickly get immersed in each perspective of the story. You'll start wondering what is truly going on behind the scenes at various spots (since you see the story from 3 perspectives), as well as feel close to certain characters one minute and then perhaps do a 180 spin in the next. It's really great stuff.

I can't stress enough how good this game is, though. It's also in my top 5 of all-time RPGs list on any platform, and I'm starting to remember why. This is only my second time playing through it, believe it or not, but the first playthrough had such a huge impact on me that I declared it one of my favorite games of all-time. This second playthrough is just enforcing that for me.

Bottom line - this is a *must play* RPG for any fan of RPGs. Amazing game. Can't wait to try V for the first time, too. I heard it's also good.

Deleted User

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Suikoden III - PC Meets Console JRPG