EA Motive Rebooting Dead Space?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I know some of you liked the Dead Space games before EA put the IP on ice, but there seems to be a trusty rumor this week the IP is getting rebooted by EA Motive.

Gematsu
Electronic Arts will announce a Dead Space revival during its EA Play Live digital event on July 22, according to VentureBeat writer Jeff Grubb in the latest GamesBeat Decides podcast, which was picked up by VGC.

The revival is reportedly developed by Electronic Arts’ Motive studio, which also developed the October 2020-released Star Wars: Squadrons.

A Eurogamer story has corroborated these claims, “which tallies with information [Eurogamer has] heard.”

Gematsu has also separately heard that a Dead Space revival is in the works at Motive, which is said to be a reimagining rather than a sequel to the existing trilogy.The Dead Space series launched in October 2008 and has not seen a new entry since the release of Dead Space 3 in February 2013. All three titles in the main trilogy are available for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

cec9a3b157f90f9ce387293845e24aa5.gif

If true...

I honestly don't remember exactly which of these I played. I finished one, and I *think* it was the first one, and played most of another. I'm not sure if that was 2 or 3.

I have always liked this sort of sci-fi horror action adventure game and I'd love to see it come back, hopefully in good hands.

I played Dead Space 1 once and liked it back at release.

I retried it recently and couldn't come back into it because of the slow movement speed. I bored out after about half an hour or so. For some reason I never tried the sequels.

But I will surely check out a new one.

I really enjoyed the first two games, yet I'd have nothing to do with a reboot if it were attached to EA in any way. I just don't care for their practices.

Assassin's Creed Vet Hire Fuels EA Motive Dead Space Rumors
Axios reports that Eric Baptizat has joined EA's Motive studio after 16 years at Ubisoft. Baptizat will serve as a game director on an unannounced project. VGC confirms the news, and notes Eric's experience with the Assassin's Creed series. This lends support to recent rumors that one of Motive's current projects is a reimagining of the Dead Space series, since Dead Space and Assassin's Creed are both AAA third-person action titles. Word is: "Neither EA nor Baptizat are commenting on the move."

Dead Space Remake Developer Livestream

Based on what they showed there, it doesn't look like they're changing much at all. It almost does look like a 1:1 copy with improved visuals.

It's not of course, since they mention they're expanding the narrative and changing the way Isaac moves in zero gravity, but I'm glad they're not doing anything drastic.

They also said they're making Isaac a voiced character in this one, with the same voice actor they used starting with DS2. Which sounds nice, especially since they said they plan on keeping him silent most of the time, except for situations where he's spoken to. Or where it makes sense for him to speak. I was glad to hear that.

It's good that they're taking the approach of sticking quite closely to the original. If they use good judgement in what they do change, this could be great.

Back
Top Bottom