Your favorite game location

And to add a location from a single player game, I think my vote goes to that neat little waterfall and pond about half way between the temple area where the water mages are exploring the ruins of this ancient culture and the pirates/desert area in Gothic 2: NotR. You know, that place that had "Costa Rica" written all over it :biggrin: .

Ah yes, if memory serves me correctly you could jump off the top and take a very long plunge to the water below. In fact, some type of message pops up on the screen for doing it, right?

Ah yes, if memory serves me correctly you could jump off the top and take a very long plunge to the water below. In fact, some type of message pops up on the screen for doing it, right?

Yes, exactly, that's the one. If I remember it correctly, it says "Insane Stunt Bonus" like in a GTA game or something along those lines :biggrin: . And you get some XP for the jump, too.

I liked many places in games, but my favorite CRPG locations are probably
- Yvel (city, Lands of Lore 1): Foggy cities paved with cobblestones. Must love 'em.
- Balmora (city, Morrowind): I feel so at home there.
- Daggerfall (city, Daggerfall): before the purge, of course.
- the LoL 1 Remembrance Dungeon (dungeon, Lands of Lore 3): It felt like coming home.
- the Dracoid Ruins (city, Lands of Lore 2): A spooky, spooky place.
- the Old Camp (camp, Gothic 1): Just for Jackal and Bloodwyn.

My not-CRPG favorite places include
- Raquia (plane, Realms of the Haunting): An oasis of peace in a chaotic universe.
- Oneiros (plane, Undying): It reminded me of The Tower plane from RotH.
- The Mechanist Cathedral (cathedral, Thief II): The children of Karras really freaked me out.
- the first outside level in Unreal: Just for the haunting beauty.

My 'favorite place at the most inappropriate time' in a game would be the toilet in the hurricane-ridden trailer park in Redneck Rampage. I was so shocked when the hurricane got me :rotfl:...

I think there is many places that was close to my heart, places i missed when i finished the game. But one particular place stands out:

Skara Brae - The city thats blocked, nobody enters, nobody exits. After some intense years with real roleplaying with my friends, the experience with Bards Tale blew me away. Roleplaying games in the computer? Is that true? (Be that that i killed 440 Mages, 1221 Goblins and 1213 Skeleton with my own spell - but boy .. Still remember the places in Skara Brae... :) )

Funny Jaz should mention Redneck Rampage, I was just thinking about that one today. I had great fun with that hilarious game, it did have some pretty great locations. Have you gotten it running lately??

Last time I tried to replay Redneck Rampage was on an old Win98 machine roughly two years ago, but it still ran like crap (it always did this to me).

Skara Brae - The city thats blocked, nobody enters, nobody exits.

Yep, this crossed my mind as well. Welcome to Garth's Equipment Shoppe!

Otherwise, the Gothic II forest area in the middle of the map was pretty interesting when it got dark, you couldn't see a thing, you couldn't rest there and you didn't have a clue where the shadowbeasts or the undead are...

EDIT: And it was raining with occasional thunder and lightning.
And cold. [<-- Immershun!]

Last edited:
Yeah, redneck rampage. Was epecially gret with a two or three friends
over LAN. I loved the map with the bowling alley and the bar.
Good times.

Games like that run great on my win98/dos machine btw :D

i'll have to break out the compatibility tool and see if I can get RR going. The bad thing about that game however, is that it doesnt use mouse-look, all aiming is via keyboard.

The whole world of Gothic, and the places in VTM-Bloodlines were great, especially the haunted hotel, that was such a scary place

There are many locations that I enjoy, but I'll pick out some of the more special ones.

- The camps in Gothic 1 are excellent locations, I love the whole atmosphere in these camps. They each have a distinct feeling.
- Sigil in PS:T (The Hive), so many strange people and places.
- The Drow city in BG2. I don't even know why I like this place a lot, but I do.
- The city in the sky in MM7 that was ruled by Gavin Magnus. Can't recall the name, but it's quite possibly the most harmonic place in any game. Just reaching this place felt special.
- The pyramide in MM6: The longest, hardest, toughest dungeon ever made. I both love and hate this place - love it for the design and challenge, hate it for the number of times I've had to reload in there.
- The valley in G2: Notr. It is completely unrealistic as far as various zones go (desert, swamp, etc), but it feels great nonetheless. Especially the relaxing pirate beach and various ruins made a lasting impression. The music also helps out a lot.
- The mage city in Nox. Yet another location I can't really explain why I like. Probably some nostalgic reason, makes me warm on the inside when I visit it.
- Watcher's Keep in BG2: Throne of Bhaal. Amazing dungeon, simply amazing. Such a huge variety of puzzles, enemies and loot, with loads of challenges.

I used to use the bar on the Tiger's Claw in Wing Commander 1 as my screen saver.

I've explored all of the different environments featured in Oblivion and Shivering Isles, but none can compare to those of my own creation, perfected and reflecting my pure glory!

I forgot about planescape torment! How could I! Shame on me!
*whip whip whip whipping myself*
I loved sigil. Also, fortress of regrets... it was somehow really moving.
Fortress of regrets was also the best part in the games wonderfull soundtrack.

Most of Gothic I. The harbor in GII, the first time I past the bar, I had no idea why that guy was attacking me :)
The first town in FO where you meet Ian and IIRC becomes a 'big' city in FOII with the daughter as leader. The haunted hotel in VTM:B. The Sith Academy in KOTOR, it looked nice (a bit small though). The first city in Lionheart (not so good with names, sorry), it was well made and seemed to be the best part of the game too. You had to play it as an intelligent character I think to be able to do most of the quests and things. But I really found it nice.

I believe it was Barcelona. Great city, good setting, game had serious potential and then.. I don't even think I completed it, it turned into this low quality hack'n slash after leaving Barcelona.

Back
Top Bottom