Mount & Blade II - Developer Update #7

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
TaleWorlds Entertainment has finally posted the next development update for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. This time the topic is Imperial Declines.

Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Blog 7 - Imperial Declines

Hi, all! For our seventh installment of the Bannerlord developer blogpost, we'd like to talk a little about our plans for factions, and how this fits into our evolving thinking about Mount&Blade as a sandbox game.

Warband's factions were based on existing medieval societies. We added a few in-game details about their backgrounds, but we didn't try to create an over-arching story. The factions' semi-historical nature meant players could use their imaginations and historical knowledge to fill in the details of these societies and make their own stories -- as we saw in many great AARs. A player who liked the Vikings, for example, might have chosen to fight for the Nords, maybe even model the character on a fictional or historical Norse warrior. However, many players felt Mount&Blade would be more immersive if the factions had more background and the game had an emotionally grabbing narrative hook, so we're going to try do that while still keeping the sandbox spirit.
More information.

Not to sound unkind, but is this game ever going to be finished??

Hopefully by next year as they really haven't shared much except a few images, and a short trailer. Have you tried the original games, and the spin-offs?

I only hope that they totally redo the whole strategic gameplay. Combat is fine, but I stopped playing the game once I owned two or more holdings. The whole run around to gather people to go back to holding to refill recruits killed it for me.

Plus, the sieges were never really strategic. More like a zerg rush.
There are definitely a lot of things they can/should improve.

However, what they have written about the game so far sounds really good.

Plus, the sieges were never really strategic. More like a zerg rush.
There are definitely a lot of things they can/should improve.

However, what they have written about the game so far sounds really good.

Right, but at least they were fun if totally unrealistic, but the holding management part was boring.

Hopefully by next year as they really haven't shared much except a few images, and a short trailer. Have you tried the original games, and the spin-offs?

Oh, yes. :) M&B Warband was hopelessly addictive, and I keep telling myself to go back and play it again. I know running around everywhere all the time is frustrating, but…you get to own your own castle! In a big world! Who could argue with that?

Oh, yes. :) M&B Warband was hopelessly addictive, and I keep telling myself to go back and play it again. I know running around everywhere all the time is frustrating, but…you get to own your own castle! In a big world! Who could argue with that?
Now for the second question have you tried any of the mods?

Link- http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/?

I recommend Prophesy of Pendor, and Brytenwalda.

Last edited:
Actually, I've used both! :) Though I haven't played through as much of Brytenwalda as I have Pendor...I'm gonna make sure to load that one up as soon as I go back. Personally I couldn't live without Floris - it totally changed the game. ^.^

Hey Aubrielle, what is the "Floris" mod, and what does it do? I haven't played Warband in a while and I've never heard of that mod.

Hey Aubrielle, what is the "Floris" mod, and what does it do? I haven't played Warband in a while and I've never heard of that mod.
It's a collection of mods put together that changes almost every aspect of the game.

Here is the link- http://www.moddb.com/mods/floris-mod-pack/news/floris-mod-pack-25-released

Welcome to the Floris Mod Pack. This is a combination of a lot of good mods created by the community, bringing them all together and enhancing your gameplay experience.

Originally this pack started as a side project of my After Action Report (AAR) Me, Floris, but soon it had grown into a very full package in its own right. Due to all the different mods and features this pack has grown quite large in size, and asks a lot from your computer. To make Floris available to as much people as possible, we made several different versions:

• Basic: This is just Native gameplay with some added music, sounds and items. If want to play Native with a little extra, this version is the one for you!
    Gameplay: This version is a downgraded version of Expanded, allowing people with lower computer specifications to still experience Floris
    Expanded: This version contains everything Floris has to offer.
    Dev Suite: If you're a modder yourself and you'd wish to fiddle with Floris, this is what you need: the source and all resources you'll need to build your own version(s).
Here are some general notes:

• * It is highly recommended to read the FAQ before playing.
    * As with any large Warband mod, it's advised in the starter to go to Configure -> Video and tick 'Load Textures on Demand'.
    * Since Floris is quite large, it might strain slower pc's. If Expanded tends to run slow on your machine, you might try the Gameplay or Basic version.
    * Because of this enormous size, the loading time of the mod is longer than you are used to. Have patience!
    * The basic version is compatible with any native savegame. Gameplay and Expanded are NOT savegame compatible with Native or any older version of Floris.
    * If you have any request for an additional mod to be added, just head to the Suggestion topic, and I'll see what I can arrange for the next version.
    * If you discover a bug, you can report it in the bug topic.
    * If you need help or if you run across problems, you should first read the FAQ. If no solution is provided over there, you can always ask at the support topic.
    * If you want to use this pack in your own mod, you'll have to ask the authors of each mod in this pack for their permission (check the respective topics!). For the stuff created by me: you can use it as long as you give credit. It would be nice to let me know you've used it.
    * Always make a backup of your native files, so you can easily revert back if you want to.
There are quite some mods, scripts and other sources used, sometimes partially, in the Floris Mod Packs. For a full overview of the sources included, and an overview of all the features, have a look at the features on this site.

Yeah, I personally thought that it improved the gameplay completely. It almost changes it as much as one of those total conversion mods. I hope it's as big a help to you, Nerevarine. ^.^

Floris looks great - thanks Aubrielle and Couch!

As for Pendor, I never got around to playing the version for the original M&B. The last time I played Warband, they were in the process of porting it over I think. I assume that it is complete now? Also, I seem to recall that it supposedly was story-driven to some degree; is this correct?

I like the sound of that quite a bit. Thanks again Couch. As always, you seem to have a hidden vault of information somewhere in your house - or secret military bunker ;)

I like the sound of that quite a bit. Thanks again Couch. As always, you seem to have a hidden vault of information somewhere in your house - or secret military bunker ;)
Your welcome Nerevarine.:D

It's just that I have to much free time on my hands lately.

This, Mount & Blade is cool, and it's pretty incredible considering that it's made by two people and a few contractors, but let's be honest, it's an "Early access" game made before the concept actually existed, where you pay for many alpha versions (Mount & Blade, Mount & Blade Warband, and now this) because the team doesn't have the means to fully materialize its vision and progresses very slowly. They do however give you a lot of value for your money and implement some things better than any other video game did, most of all mounted combat.

This, Mount & Blade is cool, and it's pretty incredible considering that it's made by two people and a few contractors, but let's be honest, it's an "Early access" game made before the concept actually existed, where you pay for many alpha versions (Mount & Blade, Mount & Blade Warband, and now this) because the team doesn't have the means to fully materialize its vision and progresses very slowly. They do however give you a lot of value for your money and implement some things better than any other video game did, most of all mounted combat.

Sometimes I forget that this is a two-person team (along with a few others here and there). If you consider that, then M&B is a monumental achievement. There's a lot I'm hoping for in Bannerlords (I'm probably pretty predictable), but most of all I'm just eager to play it, like most people on this site.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that these classic games aren't made by huge AAA teams with endless amounts of money. I suppose I must be patient. :)

Back
Top Bottom