Elex Loot in Elex.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
There's been some debate on whether the loot in containers is randomized or procedurally generated. I've seen some people claim that it is, so I decided to test this tonight.

I started three new games and checked all the lockers, chests, etc., in the observatory and the camp by the ruins. I wrote down what was in every container (10 total) on the first run and then verified it on the second run.

I then did a third run on Easy difficulty just to see if there was any variance between difficulty levels. For good measure, I also exited out of the game and restarted it between each new start.

Bottom line: Loot is definitely NOT randomized nor is it procedurally generated at the start of a new game. Only the loot carried by people is randomized to any degree.

Interesting. I must have imagined it with the safes and locked chests.

Interesting. I must have imagined it with the safes and locked chests.

I didn't check any locked chests, but I would be very surprised if the result wasn't the same. I couldn't remember where the nearest level 1 chest was, and I was too lazy to look for one. :)

Nice one, JDR!

For what it's worth, a couple different times I opened up a safe, died shortly after, re-loaded the game and the safe contents were exactly the same. Oh, and the chest in
that castle tower a bit in the north of Edan with a prisoner in it and jetpack enemies outside
had the same exact contents in both of my playthroughs (a nice stamina ring and a resist poison ring.)

Interesting. I guess I'm wrong about most of it being randomized - though it still seems very odd that they'd bother to hand-place so much worthless junk.

But very good news!

Thank you for making the effort.

Of course, there's still a chance they've hand-placed stuff in the tutorial area to ensure a certain beginner experience.

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised. There are a few, very specific items that I knew were hand placed (weapons, rings, etc), but the vast majority of containers are as generic as loot from monsters or NPCs.

No idea why they wouldn't just generate that sort of stuff similar to NPC loot, but it's still a good thing. It means their approach is mostly intact.

I'm a little suprised as well but happy they chose to do it that way. My theory is that PB is afraid the randomness of procedurally generated loot could seem less realistic. I've definitely had some "huh?" moments in other games where loot was generated. As it is, I found the contents of most containers in Elex plausible for a post-apocalyptic world.

There's also the factor of balancing the different kinds of ammunition.

I watched a G2 lets play and there was pot in it too. (In a market stall texture.) Dunno why you would sell just the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom