Tales of Symphonia - Launch Trailer

Hopefully Tales of Symphonia isn't to dated for being a port of the Gamecube version from 2006. At least it's free because I pre-ordered Tales of Zestiria on Steam.

Hopefully Tales of Symphonia isn't to dated for being a port of the Gamecube version from 2006. At least it's free because I pre-ordered Tales of Zestiria on Steam.

Well I have the PS3 port and it was good - looked quite nice (which was also true for the initial Gamecube version) + Dawn of the New World which I actually liked as well (yeah I know much of the fanbase will not agree with me...)

For me it was worth its price - sure hope they didn't mess up the PC port.

I skipped Zestiria because of grinding.
Should I skip this one too?

Do they even want to sell it? I'm not entirely sure myself after watching this trailer. Boring and unintriguing.

I skipped Zestiria because of grinding.
Should I skip this one too?

In Symphonia I never had to grind much, maybe once or twice for certain bosses, though there are some dungeons in which you will be a long time so that enemies will often get in your way again and again if you can't avoid them.

This obviously changes if you want to do side-activities, especially killing the Sword Dancer all 3 times ;-)

Thanks.
It's clearly not a game for me.

I don't mind battling trashmobs, but once I kill them I don't want to see them resurrected by developer who's trolling the audience.

Yeah the Tales of series in no dungeon crawler but you also can't rush through the generic enemies to get to the bosses.

Just playing my first Tales game Vesperia, and I've hardly had to grind at all.

It's ok, but really drags at times and takes ages to get going too.

So far I'd rate it around a 7 or 8/10

*Sincerest apologies to all Tales fans...* but in 2016 I have higher standards for dialogue and voice-acting. This game expemplifies the cringe-worthy bad JRPG stories. A young earnest, poorly vocally trained, male voice actor: "I'm going on a journey." "You guys all came for me?" "I'm going to help…regenerate the world."

Sigh…I'm sorry but the Tales developers are very poor writers. And they need to stop hiring the amateur almost-work-for-nothing D-talent voice actors. Until then, I see no reason to waste time on these inferior RPGs when plenty of other quality games exist. I'm sorry, but the truth hurts!

*Sincerest apologies to all Tales fans...* but in 2016 I have higher standards for dialogue and voice-acting. This game expemplifies the cringe-worthy bad JRPG stories. A young earnest, poorly vocally trained, male voice actor: "I'm going on a journey." "You guys all came for me?" "I'm going to help…regenerate the world."

Sigh…I'm sorry but the Tales developers are very poor writers. And they need to stop hiring the amateur almost-work-for-nothing D-talent voice actors. Until then, I see no reason to waste time on these inferior RPGs when plenty of other quality games exist. I'm sorry, but the truth hurts!

Gotta be honest, and I love the writing so far. It's cheesy and tacky but that's it's style. I don't think it's done poorly at all, I just think it's a matter of taste.

I only ever tried one Tales game: Tales of Zestiria. I did not become a big fan of its click-click-click-click combat. I'm willing to try another, but it has to have something done exceptionally good for that to happen.

I only ever tried one Tales game: Tales of Zestiria. I did not become a big fan of its click-click-click-click combat. I'm willing to try another, but it has to have something done exceptionally good for that to happen.
Every Tale game released has used a click-click-click-click type combat. I still fondly recall playing Tales of Destiny 1&2 on the PS One back in the early 2000's.

Gotta be honest, and I love the writing so far. It's cheesy and tacky but that's it's style. I don't think it's done poorly at all, I just think it's a matter of taste.

Fair enough. Obviously there's a lot of people who can handle the cheese. I suppose Tales is sort of the tabloids of JRPGs, weird, crazy, and obviously over-the-top, but there's a place for that...I guess. :)

I suppose Tales is sort of the tabloids of JRPGs, weird, crazy, and obviously over-the-top, but there's a place for that…I guess. :)

You just described 99% of JRPGs.

Struggling through Vesperia. 30 hours in, good writing, fun combat and decent game, but its just SO repetitive and slooow story wise. Something exciting happens, then it's back to menial stuff for ages.

Back
Top Bottom