Prey - Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted more reviews and articles for Prey:

CulturedVultures: 7/10

Prey mixes BioShock with Dishonored and a dash of System Shock - the result is an engrossing setting with palpable tension, tons of reasons to explore and a compelling narrative that takes a couple surprising turns. It is marred rather significantly by stale combat, a few easily-broken quests that snuck by QC and a clear preference in its intended playstyle, but Prey's story, setting and unmistakable character nonetheless make it well worth a run through.
GoodIsAGeek: 8/10

Prey is a good game, a little confused by it’s own identity taking ideas from a variety of different games, but it meshes them all together into a game very much focused on exploration. The sound and level design is excellent, but where I do have hesitation is that by providing the player with so much freedom in how they play the experiences can vary wildly. By sticking to the main story and not choosing to explore you will miss an awful lot of what makes Prey such an enjoyable single player experience, and that potentially is a problem.
CramGaming: 8.5/10

Prey offers a neat multi-tiered free-form action first person adventure for players to dive in. Replay is high with the various options within the skill-tree advancement and personal choices made. After 30 hours and beyond it’s safe to say the finale is worth the price of entry and certainly has to be seen first hand. Prey is one very cool game which you might loathe at the beginning but eventually love after the end credits have rolled. It’s a mesmerising experience, cleverly crafted and worthy of your time and money especially if you’re a fan of stealth action games. Shooter fans with little patience might not make it to where the gameplay becomes more interesting, but if you persevere you’ll be rewarded with an enjoyable game that can be played with multiple styles.
KeenGamer - Answer to IGN's 4.0 Review

GameSpew - Prey Proves that Sci-fi Shouldn’t Always be Melded with Horror

More information.

Trying to peddle their wretched junk game. Abomination of the original Prey 2 concept.

To you perhaps. To me… Except some very good moments, it's meh.
After I finished it (turning every stone, solving every possible sidequest) which took me 55 hours, felt a relief when I hit the uninstall button.

Here's hope SS3, if it'll ever appear, will understand it's year 2017 or it already passed and PC instead of only a floppydrive has terabytes of storage space now.

So what exactly didn't you like joxer? And you can skip respawns. I know all about that already :biggrin:

I know you saw most of it numbered here:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061450254&postcount=2340

I didn't add some more things because it's not quite that I can't stand them, it's just… I'm irritated to a point, but then it's already a slightly above average for me so these things are "compatible".
- Music and sfx while exploring. Both got on my nerves several times, while I was trying to appoximate the distance to trashmobs by my ear. For example there is a trashmob that you can hear in crew quarters but cannot see till you use security terminal, but no, a music whatever kicks in and you are turning around, upside and down, etc wasting time more.
- B horror movies jumpscares (you open a door and something stuck drops on you and similar), silly, cheesy, cringy, whatever, I wish I jumped on any of these crap. Luckily there are no cats in the game. Not even sure why they did it, mimics do the decent job and other trashmobs could have beeen adapted to serve the same purpose (floating telepaths could have been used to drop on your head or something).

It's good to have IGN representative on the board.

He pops in to say that about 90% of the games talked about here. The sad thing is that you know he hasn't actually played most of them.

What I got for your review joxer is that Prey is, basically, a jack of all trades and master of none. With few morsels thrown into the mix.
I appreciate that you persevered through it so that I don't have to :biggrin:

What I got for your review joxer is that Prey is, basically, a jack of all trades and master of none. With few morsels thrown into the mix.
I appreciate that you persevered through it so that I don't have to :biggrin:

Are you really going to base that decision on joxer's opinion? :)

Do you like the genre? If so, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not playing Prey.

Oh I will play it. Eventually :) But seriously… from all that I've read and seen I'm getting this "infested office block" vibe and I'm a guy with a short attention span. I need variety. Even creepy crawlies jumping at me or pretending to be a roll of toilet paper bore me real fast and the thought of doing it for hours makes me uneasy. And, if I'll buy it now, I might feel obliged to persevere to try to recoup my investment.
So yes, I'll play it. When the price drops to a level at which, if I decide to uninstall the game after 5 hours, I won't be feeling sorry for myself.

Last edited:
Goat Simulator > coffee cup/towel simulator

Are you really going to base that decision on joxer's opinion? :)

Do you like the genre? If so, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not playing Prey.

When in disbelief, you can always play it to the end yourself and then post why am I wrong or what irritated you the same as me.
I still suggest not paying the full price on this one.

Last edited:
When in disbelief, you can always play it to the end yourself and then post why am I wrong or what irritated you the same as me.
I still suggest not paying the full price on this one.

You've yet to give a legitimate reason for anyone to not play it. So far, your biggest complaint is that you didn't like the music at times.. which is irrelevant because you can adjust the volume to whatever level you desire or just turn it off altogether.

Of course you also had to add your usual nonsense about "endless trashmobs", which in this case is pure bullshit.

This is one of the few games released in recent years where people should be paying full price for it.

This is one of the few games released in recent years where people should be paying full price for it.

:rolleyes:

It is a fantastic game. Mind boggles at people's shitty taste and inability to appreciate it. Oh well, happens every day.

you also had to add your usual nonsense about "endless trashmobs", which in this case is pure bullshit.

Sure, to someone who loves grinding, it's bullshit I guess.

If I urged people to buy it at full price, my conscience wouldn't allow me to sleep. Sorry, can't and won't.

Now go and finish the game before the year ends. I need to know if you'll vote GOTY on it or on Nier.
You did finish Dishonored 2 I suppose? I'm also interested when you're done with Prey, what game (design) from the same studio you find superior. And why.

Sure, to someone who loves grinding, it's bullshit I guess.

If I urged people to buy it at full price, my conscience wouldn't allow me to sleep. Sorry, can't and won't.

Now go and finish the game before the year ends. I need to know if you'll vote GOTY on it or on Nier.
You did finish Dishonored 2 I suppose? I'm also interested when you're done with Prey, what game (design) from the same studio you find superior. And why.

I'm approaching 60 hours through 1.5 playthroughs, and I've yet to ever feel like I was grinding. It's disingenuous of you to keep talking about that aspect when it doesn't even exist.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure most of the people who frequent this site know by now that you're not exactly rational when it comes to things like that.

I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I don't see what that has to do with Prey as it's not really the same genre. I enjoyed Dishonored 1, and I expect I'll like the second game as well.

And yeah.. Prey is easily GotY so far for me. We're only in May though so that could change.

The aspect does exist it's just you decided, deliberately or subconsciously, to ignore it.

Dishonored 2 is the same hybrid as Prey. Setting is not the same, it's steampunk with magic against scifi with magic. The only thing Dishonored 2 doesn't do as good as Prey is numeric keyboard use on PC. In every other aspect it's superior, can't wait you play it.

And I dunno what people who frequent this site know. What I do care about is that games start getting tags about product content. Tags like "no saving, just checkpoints". Or "DLC: the game". Etc.
In this case, "trashmobs with godlike reviving ability".

Whatever, I see you didn't read what I wrote in "finished" thread nor you posted your detailed view there, so I'll now sit back and wait till Doomsday Grimoire. :D

Dishonored 2 is the same hybrid as Prey. Setting is not the same, it's steampunk with magic against scifi with magic. The only thing Dishonored 2 doesn't do as good as Prey is numeric keyboard use on PC. In every other aspect it's superior, can't wait you play it.

They're not even close to being the same. Dishonored 2 is a mission-based stealth game. It doesn't feature an open world, and you can't return to previous areas once you finish them.

That's not to say it isn't as good. Like I said, I enjoyed Dishonored 1, and I'm confident I'll like Dishonored 2 as well. I'll be playing it in the near future, probably after Deus Ex: MD and ToN.

Back
Top Bottom