What games are you playing now?

You're right, but he's saying he's planning a multiplayer expansion pack and a lot of new features suggested to him in the forum. It's also quite a nice thing to support someone who isn't only trying to make just another D-clone. He's trying to add something to the game and that's nice even though it's not a lot it does add to the gameplay and with multiplayer if handled correctly could make for a very, very nice game.

I agree. I applaud Peeler for making something different, and putting some strategy into the mix. The more you play this little game, the more you realize how much there is to it. I don't do multi-player myself, but I can see how this kind of game could be fun both ways.

Yes, but even if you don't like multiplayer, an improvement of the AI and other features might make it a great game single player as well.

Also, more appeal and more sales for them with a good multi-player, which means they can develop more games. :) If Depths of Peril is any indication, there's a lot of talent at Soldak.

Nethergate
Majesty

I haven't had a lot of time to play. I have just started Nethergate, and Majesty is a game I keep going back to.

I've once bought Majesty on a flea market - alas, without handbooks and everything, and I've never seen the add-on here.

But I've dug it out to see whether I can get into the game somehow.

I de-installed Rayman 2 for the day I buy myself a gamepad. To me, it isn't fun working with the keyboard alone (difficult to direct the protagonist correctly).

What actually kind of shocked me yesterday, when I was on one of the far bifggest flea markets IO know of, is, that almost NO PC games were sold there anymore ... I fear that everyhing's gone top ebay right now.

Now I know this is the real Kayla. Good to see you, young lady. I had fired up Majesty for a while a month or so before my rig went belly up. It's a shame Cyberlore didn't get to do Majesty 2.

@magerette- Dell just revised the order they created when they revised my original order. I don't know what the F is going on and my point of contact isn't answering email and has a full voicemail box. The original order had a 30AUG ship date and the 2nd order has a 13SEP ship date. Don't know if I'm going to get a 3rd order off Dell's latest revision. I'm starting to get irritable. If it wasn't such a hassle to get Tyco's check changed, I'd tell Dell to pound sand, or at the very least cancel my order and place a new one (the new XPS720 has hardware well beyond the XPS710 I bought for roughly the same money) since the XPS720 is showing a 1 week delivery.:mad:

Here's a great one - spent some time with Dragoneer's Aria on the PSP this weekend, and actually fell asleep while playing. That is pretty much the game summed up right there ...

Judas Priest, dte I think you've been cursed by the PC gods. It has to be your employee- type arrangement--it's never taken more than ten days for me to get a Dell--though once we had to go pick it up about thirty miles away, which was a pain--but not the grasp your ankles pain you're experiencing. :( Bad bongos, man.

@mike--that's what you call an insta-review. ;)--same thing happened to me with Hammers of Fate.(HoMM5 x-pak)

dte - I have been hearing grumbling about Dell and shipments recently, and some have even had their orders simply canceled without notice!

I have gone back to making my own systems as its cheaper and you get better equipment.

I always had rigs built for me until this one. The company won't cut a check for that sort of thing. I'm limited on approved vendors and using Dell is, shall we say, strongly encouraged. The real kick in the nuts is that I've already had 3 rounds of payroll deduction for a PC that ain't coming any time soon.

Sorry to derail the thread, folks, although in my defense there's certainly some games being played, just not terribly entertaining ones. ;)

Currently playing Mafia. This one completely passed me by and now with the sequel announced I've been hearing all sorts of great things about what a good game Mafia was, so I decided to check it out.
It's not half bad, something like an easier Grand Theft Auto set in 1930. It's very much an on-rails game and has far too many cut-scenes taking over action though. At least in GTA you could approach missions differently and the game never took over by introducing a cut-scene.
I don't think I'm that far into it, but I'm beginning to get a bit bored. I'm quite sure this will go in the never-finished-but-enjoyed pile.

Paraworld

Leave it up to me to search out and find another one that noone else plays! Thats my job i guess. This is an RTS with get this- armed and armored dinosaurs instead of vehicles. This is every 9 year old boys dream come true. You have your basic ranged and melee human foot troops, but the rest of your troops are mounted dino-units. It's like part steampunk too. Imagine like a Triceratops all decked out in armor, with a blade on his front horn and a ballista on top. Try out a Stegasaurus with blades on his tail. Or a tricked out Trex Strange game. You can trick out your dinos with all kinds of spikes and blades and stuff. Or one of those dinos with the flat tails hurling boulders as a siege unit. Even better, youre playing in a prehistoric world, full of wandering dinos of various types. Some are harmless like Brontosaurus, but the carnivorous ones will full on attack. There's nests that spawn young ones, and they grow to the full size, so if you park your base by one youll have a constant source of food as your workers will kill and butcher them. As I said, trippy game.

Almost universal good reviews that Ive seen, but nobody and I repeat NOBODY is playing this game. The official forums have like 4 posts. The first few missions werent that good and i was mixed on it, because the usual "give them a few of the lower tier units while hitting them with higher tier they cant have yet" type of campaign gameplay is rough going. But now that the game is opening up and I have wooley freakin mammoths with mounted ballista and giant lizards with blades and spikes clashing and throwing humans around with their jaws and stuff like tht, I'm sittin up and noticing wht might be a pretty cool game after all. Like 4 bucks too, that's the good thing about games nobody else plays.

The bad thing is that the manual has like a quarter of what it should have, no unit outlines or tech trees, and with no fanbase there's very scant info online..

I tried the demo for Paraworld and was massively underwhelmed. I don't think it ever even got into the full dinosaur combat stuff, or I just got bored to tears before the demo went that far. All I remember is having a bunch of soldier-scientist type guys running around doing the same old RTS stuff while having hackneyed dialogue to explain things. I actually wondered if it was the right demo, but all the splash screens seemed to indicate that it was indeed Paraworld.

yeah, the first few pretty much dino-less levels had me almost at the quit and uninstall point, and that's the reason that I think it didnt do all that well with the general populace. People play a dino game, they want to see them like now, it's understandable. It is missing a slew of wht are now standard hotkeys too. It took a few missions, and a bunch of idiotic dialogue and inane story, but it's starting to improve and I'm having fun with it now. One of the things I think contributed to the story and characters being so stupid, was that it seems to have been made by a foreign (to me) company, shooting from the hip when it comes to American styles, lingo, and such. It's tragically unhip, and times seems to be aiming for the aforementioned 9 year old crowd as far as the story and characters goes.

And the one "dude" character, man that guy, wht a horrible hero to get stuck with! It's the only time I think i'll ever hear someone say "ok, time to kick some dino-booty!" ='.'=

yeah, the first few pretty much dino-less levels had me almost at the quit and uninstall point, and that's the reason that I think it didnt do all that well with the general populace. People play a dino game, they want to see them like now, it's understandable.

Yeah, that'd do it. Selling a game on the premise of being an RTS with combat-outfitted dinosaurs and then not having them available in all of the demo would pretty much kill a lot of potential sales and interest.

I noticed the controls were rather klunky and missing the standard hotkeys, which really isn't acceptable given that the game is not that old and many of those standards were in place well before Paraworld even hit development.

So, is the core of the game actually good? I mean, is the gameplay interesting and more than your standard RTS fare, or is it the same old but just with dinosaurs with medieval weaponry strapped on?
Is it still essentially the build base, build army, mob enemy, rebuild army, mob enemy repeat until done formula, or is there more to it?

The company developing Paraworld suffered massively from the lost sales and went out of business only shortly after the release. Such a shame.

The last thing they developed was kind of an expansion, which was here incorporated into a "Gold" edition of the game (similar to Sacred Plus or so).

I think this will be one of the very few games I won't buy as budget in the next time, but rather full-price or mid-price.

My theory is that the game's launch suffered severely from the same-time-launch of the latest Anno games, because in my theory parts of the groups of gamers who would buy and play both games overlap.

And I'm sure that this game will be sought-after in a few years. I'd almost bet on that.

My theory is that the game's launch suffered severely from the same-time-launch of the latest Anno games, because in my theory parts of the groups of gamers who would buy and play both games overlap.

Interesting, considering that Sunflowers was the publisher of both games. Why would they set something up like that? Perhaps then such business practices are part of why they've now shut down. Sunflowers was also the publisher that dragged their feet in giving the go-ahead for a second Knights Of Honor patch.

So why do you think it'll be a much sought-after game in the future? Was it really good? The demo suggested to me that it was bargain-bin quality at best...

I was supposed to get that for GamerDad but it was never sent and it faded so fast that it fell off my radar ... it was a shame that they went belly-up so fast though ...

Back
Top Bottom