RPGWatch - Welcome to RPGWatch!

Well the new site looks interesting, I'm missing the game database where you can find everything about every game though. Hopefully that's something that will be added with time.

Oh and yes this is my new homepage, no point staying with RPGDot!

Looking forward to the future of the site. :)

Daniel.

Fine, but I'll only ever think of the site as BlinkingWatch.

Here's the story why RPGDot once was called BlinkingDot :)

It started out as a small personal website on Xoom for a RPG project two friends of mine and I were doing (Legends of the Seers). It was meant to talk about the progress of the game. Because there wasn't much (the only thing we ever finished was my procedural landscape modeling and the display engine), I started to report about general RPG news as well. I moved the site to its own domain, and I named the domain after one of the "monsters" in the various Angband variants (dungeon crawls in ASCII, later with graphics): The Blinking Dot. I think when Garrett joined me in posting news (adding his great database of RPG games), we decided to change the name to RPGDot.

Blinkingdot, by the way, went online in Summer 1999 :).

Good luck with the site, fellas. Independence is always best. I should know; I used to work for a decidedly non-independent RPG site (GA-RPG). Against my better judgement (and against the advice Rendelius gave me at the time) I stuck around even when eUniverse decided to start messing around with the structure of their gaming-related web publications. The entire thing fizzled.
Even though I'm not involved in RPGCodex much anymore, I'll say that doing an independent broad-coverage website was a far more fulfilling experience. (even though I got some cool things out of working for GA-RPG - such as free games as well as a trip to Larian a while ago). It's a pity that Rendelius' vision of an independent network of RPG-related websites turned out a tad too ambitious... a lot of other networks with similar initial ambitions have croaked over the years. Either their quality gets compromised, or they croak.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how the site develops. I'm guessing the editorial standards will stay the same, as they are still subject to Dhruin's reign of terror.

I am amazed at the membership numbers already. I think it hit 200 before the first 24 hours passed. :) And so great to see everyone here. ;)

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how the site develops. I'm guessing the editorial standards will stay the same, as they are still subject to Dhruin's reign of terror.
'Reign of terror'? I haven't been able to notice Dhruin doing anything remotely like that. If there is any terrorising to do I'm always volunteering for that job ;)

I'm a firm believer in not putting in smilies when something is obviously tongue-in-cheek. :)

I notice the leaving post is gone from RPGdot, people won't know where to come now?

Daniel.

Maybe all the regulars should put a link to RPGWatch in their Dot forum profiles (as "homepage" or in your sig). A more neutral post "good RPG links" with RPGWatch at the top might also suffice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My congratulations also. I had to shift my favorites so the "new" best RPG news site is on top in my list. I also am saddened that Dhruin's farewell post was pulled from the RPGdot news items. I can only take that as a sign of dissatisfaction from the remaining RPGdot staff (if any).

I don't know, and don't care to know, what inner office politics brought this about. All I do know is you have my best wishes for success.

Last edited:
I think Jolt pulled the thread, not any remaining RPG staff. But the word is getting out. ;)

There are NO remaining staff at the Dot!!

I'm here, I'm here.. !

Sorry it took me a couple of days, but this is the earliest I heard of it!

Let the discussion begin!

Good luck!

Good luck with your new venture, guys. It's a pleasure to hear you're on the right track again. Hope to be quoting you soon. ;)

Back
Top Bottom