What games are you playing now?

I never thought I'd say this, but Diablo III: Reaper of Souls on Xbox360 has sucked me in, and I'm loving it!

Sorry, PC Master Race but I'm liking this game far better on the Xbox 360 than I do on the pc. It's an excellent port, and even using a ranged character is working really well. My only gripe so far, i think the inventory system kinda sucks but otherwise I'm satisfied w/ the game so far.

I actually like Boone as a male companion, but I've done his quest several times. I need some more testosterone in my group, but I haven't found a male companion that works yet. I prefer the paladin types. Can't stand Gannon.
Boone is awsome earlygame, later… Sux.

If Gannon is the Vegas dude with glasses, sorry, but IMO he's OP sidekick in the game. Grass doesn't grow where he passes. But he isn't a tank.
If you want a tank, then go with BoS chick, she kicks arse.

What's with my memory? Can't remember names from New Vegas, just their abilities, OMG.

I never thought I'd say this, but Diablo III: Reaper of Souls on Xbox360 has sucked me in, and I'm loving it!

Sorry, PC Master Race but I'm liking this game far better on the Xbox 360 than I do on the pc. It's an excellent port, and even using a ranged character is working really well. My only gripe so far, i think the inventory system kinda sucks but otherwise I'm satisfied w/ the game so far.

Why is it better than on xbox than PC? I am thinking of getting it for the PS4 but thought it will be annoying to play it with a controller.

Why is it better than on xbox than PC? I am thinking of getting it for the PS4 but thought it will be annoying to play it with a controller.

I've also got it on PS4 and PC. And the only reason I play it on console is for the co-op in person. Otherwise, the PC is superior in all instances imo. Both in terms of gameplay and quality of life things. I particularly can't play a ranged character on the console version you're at the mercy of the auto-targetting when it comes to targeting ranged abilities. Nothing beats the precision of a mouse when you need to deliver that spell to some ranged enemy in the bank of enemy ranks.

I am a pc mouse and keyboard player for every game on the planet ( even beat dark souls 1 and 2 with K&M)

That's why it pains me to say it. Diablo 3 is much better on console.

First off I have to say I'm not really a Diablo fan. I mainly play it because my son likes to play It and we co-op. The things we do for our kids.:lol:

The control scheme on the pc is what ruins the pc game for me. Clicking to move and clicking to attack enemies just feels cumbersome and slow. It's an action game not a turn based game. Give me WSAD movement and space bar for dodge. The fact that it's not at least an option to play that way is silly to me.

Anyway on console you move with the analog stick and dodge with the right analog stick. It feels more intuitive and you don't have to control the camera which is my biggest barrier to controller use. Also I just melee so maybe ranged combat would change my opinion.

For me, my opinion and all that it makes the game much less tedious and actually tolerable to play.

Boone is awsome earlygame, later… Sux.

If Gannon is the Vegas dude with glasses, sorry, but IMO he's OP sidekick in the game. Grass doesn't grow where he passes. But he isn't a tank.
If you want a tank, then go with BoS chick, she kicks arse.

What's with my memory? Can't remember names from New Vegas, just their abilities, OMG.

Veronica is a tank and a very good one, but I've played all the good aligned companions in the default game numerous times; except Gannon. He creeps me out :)
I don't play evil ever. I might play a thief, but even then he'll have morals. There are certain roles I just can't play....

Not being able to remember which game a companion is from, but the lady Nightkin is a hoot. I can't remember if she's in New Vegas or Fallout 3. If NV, I'll probably drop one of my gals for a while and travel with her. I always end up playing a sniper so she's great for drawing aggro.

Not being able to remember which game a companion is from, but the lady Nightkin is a hoot. I can't remember if she's in New Vegas or Fallout 3. If NV, I'll probably drop one of my gals for a while and travel with her. I always end up playing a sniper so she's great for drawing aggro.

Hahaha, Lily Bowen! She keeps thinking the main character is her grandchild or some such thing. Hilarious. Definitely in FNV, found in Jacobstown or some such thing.

I did also finish Shadows of Mordor which in itself says something very positive about the game as I rarely finish game. I found it to be too easy. There was never any fear of orcs levelling up as they never became hard to kill and I never got any nemesis. I'm notoriously poor in action and rpg games so I'm quite surprised. What I did struggle with was those wolfish creatures you could ride on. They kept slaughtering me. The best thing for me in the game was the orc characters and the fun combat. The worst was the protagonist, the story and the repetition. Recommended.

I don't think it's better on a console. It's exactly the same except for some minor differences - and of course the UI setup. The console versions have built-in dodge, but you'll never really need it - as you have the same skills as on PC.

Then there are a handful of console-specific temporary buffs that active if you do specific stuff in the environment, but they won't change the game at all.

The rest is EXACTLY the same.

So, what you'll prefer is about whether you prefer playing with a controller on a couch, or with mouse/keyboard at your desk.

That said, I think local cooperative play with a friend is more intimate and engaging in front of a big screen - and as such, the console will win out. On the other hand, I find the interface vastly superior on PC, especially when it comes to exchanging items and crafting.

Also, as Sakichop mentioned, ranged characters play better on the PC, because of the precise controls.

However, Blizzard did a great job with the console interface as well - and both versions are great for their platforms.

@Maylander - Yes! Lily is who I was thinking about. I love her. Doesn't she keep calling you Jimmy or something? I got a kick of how her brain worked, or didn't. It'll work especially well for this game as my character's name is Jimbo :)

Last edited:
Diablo III on console, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways..

Well, yes playing it on my couch on a 60" LCD in my birthday suit is one of my favorite things to do lately. However, the controller itself for me is a notable difference in both the function and feel of gameplay. I'm tired of clickfests, quite frankly, and playing this game in this way feels different. There's also a dodge mechanic, where your toon rolls where you point the stick, and that comes in handy and is fun to use.

While I have you here, let's talk about target lock. The target lock for ranged characters, combined with the dodge makes for some fun stick-and-move ranged gameplay with ranged mobs. Lock on target, they fire, you roll then fire, dodge again, fire again, etc. Dodge is good for both melee and ranged characters anyway, and not available in PC version.

I personally like playing ranged just fine with the stick. Maybe i'm just not taking this gaming shit as seriously as you people, but really - in the end the job gets done all the same. It's just refreshing to play this game like this. Im not sitting around clicking things to death for once, and to me that's a big point in it's favor. I point my stick at things and they die, seems to work. So yes, it's probably not surgically precise, but really - that's ok with me.

On that note I'm also liking running around w/ the stick as a melee character as well, slamming into things and wailing away, instead of clicking away with a mouse pointer is just more fun. It feels different. To act like playing with a controller is a little, insignificant difference is like saying the only difference between riding a motorcycle and driving a car is the bike has two wheels instead of four. It's a markedly different experience all around, and I highly recommend trying it if youre tired of the same old clickfest ARPG gameplay

Picking up items, for me is easier just hitting the A button when I'm near loot as well as potions n crap auto picking up (dont know if that was in PC i dont remember)

Im actually kind of liking the quick-inventory thing now too, where you can instantly run thru latest items and equip w/ the press of a button. The inventory itself is segregated via a paperdoll interface which is a little awkward at first, again it's growing on me but yes a mouse in a plain window is certainly easier.

Last edited:
However, the controller itself for me is a notable difference in both the function and feel of gameplay. I'm tired of clickfests, quite frankly, and playing this game in this way feels different. There's also a dodge mechanic, where your toon rolls where you point the stick, and that comes in handy and is fun to use.

Hmmm ... it was actually our friend DArtagnan who said:

In fact, I think they're SO good at what they do best - that I see absolutely no reason to imagine them as something they're not :)

And since PCs are general purpose computing devices designed around the data entry mechanics of a typewriter paired with a 50 year old design used to specify tracking objects on a display for measurements ... it is no wonder they are not up to the standards of a device specifically created and optimized for the singular purpose of gaming.

:D

And since PCs are general purpose computing devices designed around the data entry mechanics of a typewriter paired with a 50 year old design used to specify tracking objects on a display for measurements … it is no wonder they are not up to the standards of a device specifically created and optimized for the singular purpose of gaming. :D

This might apply if the kind of game being played hadn't been designed around a keyboard and mouse in terms of controls.

PC games have had decades to adapt to the control devices available - which is why games designed specifically for that platform work very, very well.

My point about tablet games was about the hardware driving the game, and about how the vast majority of games available have their roots in PC game design. If the developers making games for tablets bothered to focus on tablet controls exclusively, they might do a much better job. That said, I can't think of a single touch-screen interface that wouldn't work just as well with mouse/keyboard.

That's because the touch-screen is actually the absence of traditional control devices. The primary reason touch-screen is a great solution for tablets and smartphones is not that it's NECESSARILY a better control device in any way, it's because it removes the need for other control devices. That said, obviously a touch-screen is more intuitive for pointing at things.

It's key to think about these things a bit before trying to use the argument against me ;)

As for what's objectively "better" - that's a dead-end debate. I've heard people stubbornly insist that mouse/keyboard is always better - and I've heard people claim they're better at first person shooters with a console controller. So, what's there to say in such situations?

As for console controllers - I'd argue they're better for games designed around the console platform.

Of course, they might not be better if the person using the controller isn't used to them - and they might not be better if the game is easy to adapt to PC controls.

As for Diablo being a "clickfest" - I've heard this from countless people before. These are the people who don't understand the genre, and they don't understand the core of the design.

I'm glad that removing the clicking from the combat has taught these people what the game is really about, which is character progression and loot whoring. In short, it's the ultimate power fantasy boiled down to the fun bits. The "clicking" was never really the heart of the fun - it was just how you measured your performance.

Blizzard, however, are so good at moment-to-moment gameplay, and they've managed to make the actual combat so fun that you tend to forget what the real driving force behind the design is.

Hmm... Grimrock II or Alien Isolation?

Two very different types of games, but I want to play both. I'm almost thinking of just flipping a coin. :)

Playing now:

Alien Isolation

Honestly can't play this in long sessions, because of the tension. I'm a big immersion guy - and this game is perhaps the most immersive I've ever played. Certainly when it comes to horror.

Divinity: Original Sin

Playing this with my brother. We played for two full days and it seems we've barely scratched the surface. The PERFECT cooperative RPG. So well done with such a delightful set of mechanics.

Wasteland 2

Much better than my time in beta seemed to suggest. Though I suspect it's the kind of game that won't hold up over time - as the fights take a long time, and there's a lot of walking around.

Grimrock

Since I really want to play the sequel - I figure I have to finish this first, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

SWtOR

Wanted to play this cooperatively with my brother, but it seems D:OS will keep us busy for months. I'm playing with the 12X experience buff - so I can get to experience the stories. Playing Imperial Agent right now, and the writing is pretty good. Definitely an interesting twisty tale. The actual game isn't too exciting though, but that was never the case.

ESO

Still playing this and still liking it a lot - but there just isn't enough time in the world for all these games. I don't know if I'll ever be able to focus on a single MMO ever again.

KotOR 2

Just installed it and the restoration mod/patch. I really want to give it another try as I'm in quite the Star Wars mood. Love the mechanics - but it remains to be seen if I can stay interested in this Avellone take on Star Wars for the entire game.

This might apply if the kind of game being played hadn't been designed around a keyboard and mouse in terms of controls.

It's key to think about these things a bit before trying to use the argument against me ;)

A better and simpler response might have been:

"I see what you did there … and - no."

;)

Because we've talked all about how many games designed around a console controller are frustrating to play on the PC with keyboard & mouse, and so on. I know I have just been taking another whack at Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita … and despite the dual analog controls, the game itself was so obviously designed around a larger screen and better control systems that it is a constant annoyance.

Personally I love the keyboard mouse solution for action-RPGs - played a bit of Titan Quest this week after that retrospective ... and it remains a very natural feeling way to play for me.

As for what I am playing, across various platforms:
- Puzzle Quest (original, on the iPad)
- Boulder Dash 30th
- Borderlands 2 (PS Vita)
- The Shadow Sun
- Avernum 2
- Divinity Original Sin
- Defense Grid 2
- Gabriel Knight 20th

So fun stuff no matter what I am carrying :)

I've finished my wanderings over the DC Wasteland and didn't really feel like playing through the main plot, so I've moved over to Fallout: New Vegas. It feels instantly less post-apocalyptic, but shooting stuff's still fun.

I've never really cared for the followers in the game, but so much of the content is based around them I always feel compelled to use them, as opposed to FO3 or Skyrim, where you miss out on nothing but chatter by going solo. I think I'll go for a mostly solitary agent of Mr. House playthrough and see how that goes. I might pick up some of the NPCs I've never really done much with, just to satisfy the completionist part of me. I've never had the retired Enclave types help in the final battle, so I might have to do that bit.

"I see what you did there … and - no."

It should be pretty obvious by now that I like to support my arguments, so I don't think it's better to leave the meat out of a response :)

Because we've talked all about how many games designed around a console controller are frustrating to play on the PC with keyboard & mouse, and so on. I know I have just been taking another whack at Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita … and despite the dual analog controls, the game itself was so obviously designed around a larger screen and better control systems that it is a constant annoyance.

Personally I love the keyboard mouse solution for action-RPGs - played a bit of Titan Quest this week after that retrospective … and it remains a very natural feeling way to play for me.

As for what I am playing, across various platforms:
- Puzzle Quest (original, on the iPad)
- Boulder Dash 30th
- Borderlands 2 (PS Vita)
- The Shadow Sun
- Avernum 2
- Divinity Original Sin
- Defense Grid 2
- Gabriel Knight 20th

So fun stuff no matter what I am carrying :)

I actually agree - I was just kidding around.

Right?

But I see that you, too, like to explain yourself.

So, it's not necessarily better to avoid it :)

Thanks all who helped answer my questions about D3 on console. I have it for PC and my wife actually liked it lot more than me so I think I will get it for PS4 for 2 player coop.

Also its nice to know that I am not the only person who has issue controlling camera with analog stick! Currently the only game I played on PS4 is Shadows of Mordor and I am fine as I melee but I suck at when I try to use the bow since you need good camera control for that. I guess its better to stick with PC for FPS and other ranged based games then? I was thinking of getting Destiny for PS4 but I guess you need good camera control for that or does the game help you with targeting in some way?

Back
Top Bottom