Looking for RPGs with cooperative LAN play

I'll say it again, then I'll leave you alone. :) Dungeon Lords. Much more engaging as a play experience with friends than Dungeon Siege. Teamwork and joint tactics play a bigger role and the combat requires you be much more engaged than DS's "set and forget" method. DS is a much more polished game, but polish isn't the same as fun, and DL is polished enough to not get in the way of the fun. DL can really feel like your team is fighting for their lives at times. DS feels like an arcade game.

I was wondering if DL CE, had actually improved the networking and questing issues, good to know, thanks chamr. :)

Everyone had gotten so frustrated by that point and refused to buy the game again, I could never find anyone to ask.

I'm downloading the Dungeon Lords demo, and will get the DS2 demo during the weekend. If they prove ok we'll likely get both, it's not like there are that many games for us to play together...

@chamr: Is Dungeon Lords the Bradley game or am I thinking of something else? Wasn't the main criticism that it was buggy, repetitive and pushed out the door with whole areas unfinished? Did they correct this stuff in the CE? I hate to think I've missed a good rpg as scarce as they are because early reviews were inaccurate.

Dungeon Seige II is far better than DS1, but it is, as charmr said, arcade like in the clicking department, and definitely rpg lite. I had fun with it, though and it does have a discernible plot.

@chamr: Is Dungeon Lords the Bradley game or am I thinking of something else? Wasn't the main criticism that it was buggy, repetitive and pushed out the door with whole areas unfinished? Did they correct this stuff in the CE? I hate to think I've missed a good rpg as scarce as they are because early reviews were inaccurate.

The CE is vastly improved, but I would still hesitate to call it a 'good RPG'. Here is my old review of the CD (yes, I separately reviewed both versions). However, the co-op capability is something I basically never got much of a look at - in the original game it was so laggy to be unusable over the 'net. Supposedly over a LAN it is much better - I think that is what chamr refers to ... or perhaps the net code in the CE was improved.

The CE is vastly improved, but I would still hesitate to call it a 'good RPG'. Here is my old review of the CD (yes, I separately reviewed both versions). However, the co-op capability is something I basically never got much of a look at - in the original game it was so laggy to be unusable over the 'net. Supposedly over a LAN it is much better - I think that is what chamr refers to ... or perhaps the net code in the CE was improved.

Thanks, Mike. It's nice to know my memory has a few functioning cells left. Your review tells me that as fun as it may be in LAN play, this would keep me away from single-player:

But the worst offender is the constant enemy spawning and unbalanced reward system. While the combat is fun, getting swarmed by respawning mobs every 60 ヨ 90 seconds over the course of a 60 hour game is not, especially when the enemy intelligence largely consists of "CHARGE!"...Further, there are enemies worth more advance points by themselves than every quest in the game combined!

Of course, DS2 isn't exempt from the respawning either, but the rewards are usually abundant and at least it has a great deal of quest experience as well, and though they all involve a lot of combat some of them are pretty involved.

You have to remember, though, that I'm looking at things from the single-player perspective, since I don't usually get to hook up with anyone for LAN. I'm sure chamr knows what he's talking about. :)

Zaleukos, let us know how both the demos work out for you.

I'll say it again, then I'll leave you alone. :) Dungeon Lords. Much more engaging as a play experience with friends than Dungeon Siege. Teamwork and joint tactics play a bigger role and the combat requires you be much more engaged than DS's "set and forget" method. DS is a much more polished game, but polish isn't the same as fun, and DL is polished enough to not get in the way of the fun. DL can really feel like your team is fighting for their lives at times. DS feels like an arcade game.

I agree.

DL is one of the biggest disappointments but I had to admit the CE is great fun to play with a friend. I live in Taiwan and my friend is in Arizona and we never had any problems. I wish they released this version first and then patched it up because I think the reviews would of been a bit different. Even with that said it could of used a bit more polishing up and implementing ALL the spells that use ingredients. That would be my biggest gripe, that it still wasn't quite finished but overall still a ton of fun to play with a friend. Ten times better than the usual hack and slash games out there.

Yes, even though we had quest break and many moments of frustration, there is nothing like playing Coop with a friend. :)

Hell, I can't even remember that last fully 3D Coop RPG, wait it would have to be Redemption, but you couldn't play the full campaign in Redemption, so that doesn't really count.

Damn I must be missing something or is DL the ONLY fully 3d Coop, RPG?
Maybe I need some caffeine to think this over. :p

A rare chance to promote DL? Yay! :) I believe DL CE is a great hack and slash SP experience as well. As an indicator, it's one of the few games I've actually finished in the last couple of years. And, I've even replayed it a bit, since I find the character development system pretty engaging.

Thanks, Mike. It's nice to know my memory has a few functioning cells left. Your review tells me that as fun as it may be in LAN play, this would keep me away from single-player:

I'll have to differ from Mike here a bit. First off, there is a spawn rate setting in the Options. However, only the lowest setting is useful as the other two, as Mike points out, spawn way too often. On Low, though, I find the spawning fine, with one exception where I'd agree with Mike: when you're trying to solve a puzzle in a dungeon. It is a bit annoying to have to fight off a clump of vermin every couple of minutes while you're trying to think through a lever pattern or time a jump sequence. It would have been much better had DW turned off re-spawning in Dungeons all together. Having said that, you don't find yourself in this situation a ton.

I also disagree on the AI. I've found it to be quite good, and some of the best in this kind of game out there. I've had slimes I was sniping from above retreat out of range, I've had goblins path-find around a fairly complex maze to get me rather than just stand dumbly on the other side of an obstacle, and rats swarm me with a mob intelligence that's kind of scary, to be honest. Your oponents also often use their skills and spells quite well, making for some pretty good challenges.

The melee fighting, due to it's highly interactive nature, is very demanding. If you just charge in clicking madly, you'll often find yourself in trouble fast (if you're playing on Hard difficutly, that is). This can make the spawning seem more taxing, at times, but that's what taking a break's for. :) The satisfaction I get from using straffing, well timed combos, blocking, backflips and side rolls to hack your way through a tough gang of baddies is unlike any other game I've played.

Magerette, from what I can tell, you like action-RPG's. I find it hard to believe you wouldn't like DL. It's a great action-RPG, IMO.

On the topic of MP, I'm not sure all the quest bugs have been worked out in the CE, but there's always a work around, from what I've read on the various boards. The system of save games and how SP and MP files work allows for getting around some of the issues, so keep your saves. And if all else fails, a dude over on the Gamebanshee boards has developed a rather straight forward hex editor for your save games that should get you where you need to go.

Not sure if the net code was fixed in the CE, as my group has only ever played the CE, but can tell you that over the internet, we found that the game bogs down with more than 3 players. May be just us, but I suspect not as we're all pretty adept at tweaking our setups to get MP games going. However, on true LAN (not Hamachi), I'd suspect you could get a larger game going.

Hmmm, chamr...very interesting. Yes, I am an action rpg junkie. Clickfesting and hacking and slashing to me carry no negative connotations whatsoever. ;) I used to be ashamed that I spent two and a half years playing Diablo2 and have three separate manilla envelopes packed with printouts of rune FAQ sheets, set items and character builds, but I have learned to embrace these faults...:) I will now be looking for Dungeon Lords CE in the bargain bins of the internet.

chamr, you remind me of this fellow here-the pusherman--:p

I bought dungeon lords CE in one of those jewel cases...for a whoping 7.50 not bad eh?

I used to be ashamed that I spent two and a half years playing Diablo2 and have three separate manilla envelopes packed with printouts of rune FAQ sheets, set items and character builds, but I have learned to embrace these faults...:)

:lol: You and I have more in common than just OK. ;)

chamr, you remind me of this fellow here-the pusherman--:p

True. 'cept I'm twice as funky-fresh!! :)

Loaded both up this morning, and here are my first impressions:

Dungeon Siege 2: Diablo with NWN graphics. Very cartoonish feeling, more so than NWN. The interface is however intuitive.

Dungeon Lords: Looks more interesting, but the interface is not intuitive worth a damn, and unlike DS2 the demo isnt exactly a tutorial. Is there any kind of map or compass function in the game? Overall it feels like I lack an overview of my surroundings, enemies pop out of the blue a bit too often, and in an irrational way.

I'll experiment some more before giving a final verdict, but from what I've seen I think that remaining NWN 1 modules would be more interesting to us than DS2.

System shock 2. Allthough you can play it through net too if you set up a VPN.

I'll second that. If you don't mind it being a FPS but at at much slower pace. All the hype that was Bioshock is little more than SS2 with updated graphics IMHO.

Dungeon Lords: Looks more interesting, but the interface is not intuitive worth a damn, and unlike DS2 the demo isnt exactly a tutorial. Is there any kind of map or compass function in the game? Overall it feels like I lack an overview of my surroundings, enemies pop out of the blue a bit too often, and in an irrational way.
There is a mini-map on-screen in newer versions - but thanks goodness no FPS-style 'quest compass' (ala Oblivion).

Ok, the demo is probably based on an early version of the engine. I dont lament the lack of map and compass per se, provided the geography is distinctive enough to let you get a sense of direction, and the starting area is definitely a bit lacking in viewing distance and landmarks:)

EDIT2: Moved questions to the dungeon lords thread

Last edited:
I'll experiment some more before giving a final verdict, but from what I've seen I think that remaining NWN 1 modules would be more interesting to us than DS2.

Yeah, I was afraid it might be too Diablo-like for you. It certainly isn't able to keep up with games like NWN or even IWD in dialogue and NPC's. But it's nice to find out from a free demo and not after spending fifty bucks on a full game. :)

Almost all of the Hall of Fame NWN 1 mods are worth a look. Our group started with our NWN1 game characters and played them up to level 40 using mods that met our levels. And your system should do fine with it.

Cm: Neverwinter Nights runs just fine on our machines, we're just a bit tired of it. The good thing is that we dont need to dish out any extra money to play NWN modules:)

Yeah, I was afraid it might be too Diablo-like for you. It certainly isn't able to keep up with games like NWN or even IWD in dialogue and NPC's. But it's nice to find out from a free demo and not after spending fifty bucks on a full game. :)

Agreed. I just wish more games had playable demos, it's incredibly useful both to determine gameplay value and how well the software runs on one's hardware (both ran flawlessly on the old hog):)

Back
Top Bottom