Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!)

I played The Forest last week.
Good survival elements that aren't overly onerous. You can tell it was made by a small team, but impressive effort. Controls are simple. Theres a few things that aren't intuitive and I had to look up (totally did not guess how to do hotkeys) but overall not a bad game. Not a fan of mutants though.

Approximately how many hours did it take you to finish and how much of that was spent base building?

Approximately how many hours did it take you to finish and how much of that was spent base building?

Not sure I could even guess that. In this case I didn't actually finish the game. I did spend several hours building a houseboat base but a quick glance at the forums and reddit people can spend 40 hours on the basebuilding etc. I'll keep playing once I have more time.

To get distracted from my current thoughts, I watched the movie "Vayana" by Disney, and I found that Windbound fits very neatly into that setting, it imho really looks as of the makers had been inspired by that movie.
The only real difference is the look of the protagonist of the game itself : She has a lighter skin colour than I'd after watching the movie ...

Humble Bundle has a new bundle called Survive or Die. You get 7 survival games for as little as $15
I don't have three of those, so I might get it...
Also, I want another SCUM key because a friend wants to try co-oping it with me. So - expect a giveaway of three double-ups sometime in the future.

I don't have three of those, so I might get it…
Also, I want another SCUM key because a friend wants to try co-oping it with me. So - expect a giveaway of three double-ups sometime in the future.

I'd be interested in trying Die Young or Empyrion if you end up with an extra key. :)

I'd be interested in trying Die Young or Empyrion if you end up with an extra key. :)
Sorry, they're; two of the ones I don't already have. :)

The extras I have are:
The Wild Eight
How to Survive 2
Dead in Vinland

I gabbed a copy of Die Young last night and played for a couple of hours.

Eh…it's "ok". I'd call it a survival game for beginners. The crafting is very simplistic, and there's no structure building. It's more of an action-adventure game with light survival elements than a real survival game. Visuals, sound, and atmosphere are average at best.

Has anyone here played Conan Exiles?
It's currently 50% off on Steam, and free to play for the next two days.

I tried it, it was quite polished, but I don't play survival/building games, so I didn't play it for too long. I have heard it does have nice building crafting system, with a lot of spots in different types of landscape to choose from, taming animals and slaves are cool aswell, but a bit basic. And they sell dlcs with more of motives. But there are some interesting mods aswell.

I played through the demo for Voidtrain yesterday. It seems like a pretty cool spin on the genre.

The demo is fairly short and doesn't show off a whole lot of the game, but it was enough to make me wishlist it.

@JDR13:
You prolly know this, but that Starsand game you mention up there (favourably) is in the Survival Instinct bundle at Humble. Got it - mostly for Surroundead, which my son wants, but Starsand and Volcanoids look worth a buy, and State of Decay 2 and Chernobylite nice to have on Steam.(already have the others)

@JDR13:
You prolly know this, but that Starsand game you mention up there (favourably) is in the Survival Instinct bundle at Humble. Got it - mostly for Surroundead, which my son wants, but Starsand and Volcanoids look worth a buy, and State of Decay 2 and Chernobylite nice to have on Steam.(already have the others)
Let me know how Starsand turned out. That was a pretty old demo that I played. I haven't tried the full game.

I didn't like Chernobylite as much as I thought I would. To be fair, I didn't play it very long, but it didn't click with me at all.

I played through the demo for Voidtrain yesterday. It seems like a pretty cool spin on the genre.

The demo is fairly short and doesn't show off a whole lot of the game, but it was enough to make me wishlist it.
I didn't finish the demo, as soon as I got to the hmm, think I will wishlist this, I turned it off so as not to spoiler myself. Not sure there will be too many surprises in the gameplay (collect this, build that) but the intriguing environment, quirky presentation and story more than made up for it.

Back
Top Bottom