Skyrim Skyrim and Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Am I the only one who is getting an urge to replay Morrowind? This game is great, but some of the music is straight from Morrowind and it's reminding me of all the good times I had in that game. Then I'll read some books that were in Morrowind and remember where I read them for the first time. They'll talk of Balmora and bring back many many memories of that city. The only thing keeping me from replaying is this game is too good.

I swear if someone makes a Lilicor mod for Skyrim then that's it! I'm loading up Morrowind again and playing both these damn games to sate this urge.

Which tracks from the Morrowind soundtrack get used specifically? To be honest, I'm not sure that I'm happy to hear that because that particular soundtrack has a specific context (i.e a place in time) for me. Hearing it in Skyrim has the potential to pull me out of that experience. So I have to ask players if it's suitable? Is it jarring at all compared to the newer tracks?

This kind of follows the trend of some of Mark Morgan's original Fallout music being used in New Vegas - which for me, was a good thing since it usually suited the scene (Nipton comes to mind...) and added a suitable degree of ambient menace which for me was lacking in the Fallout 3 soundtrack.

They'll make a special trip, just for you. Same low price.

I've got a constant, low-grade desire to replay Morrowind. I think I'll be stuck on Skyrim for quite a while longer, though.

Which tracks from the Morrowind soundtrack get used specifically? To be honest, I'm not sure that I'm happy to hear that because that particular soundtrack has a specific context (i.e a place in time) for me. Hearing it in Skyrim has the potential to pull me out of that experience. So I have to ask players if it's suitable? Is it jarring at all compared to the newer tracks?

This kind of follows the trend of some of Mark Morgan's original Fallout music being used in New Vegas - which for me, was a good thing since it usually suited the scene (Nipton comes to mind…) and added a suitable degree of ambient menace which for me was lacking in the Fallout 3 soundtrack.

I honestly couldn't tell you what tracks because I have no clue. Maybe someone else can answer that. As for it being jarring? No, not in the least. I think it's just some of the walking around music from Morrowind. I always loved the music from Morrowind so it being in this game is like welcoming an old friend back from a long vacation.

The battle music is definitely different.

It's the combination of music and books that is killing me. I'm definitely replaying Morrowind after this game. To hell with all the games being released during the holiday season. It's a shame, I was looking forward to playing Batman Arkham City too, but Batman can't compete against the power of Morrowind :D

Yeah, I don't know track names from Morrowind either, despite loving that soundtrack and having the CD. I'm not even sure it had track names, honestly.

And I like the music being used. It's not that common, it only happens every once in a while.

It's called Silt Sunrise.

It's the same composer. That's why it seems similar but as far as I can tell the music in Skyrim is brand new.

The Morrowind song has been re-worked for both Oblivion & Skyrim it's called Through the Valleys in Oblivion.

Listen to the beginning of this demo and tell me that's not exactly the same as in Morrowind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kt7IeycKJKQ#!

It's not a bad thing at all. It fits perfectly with the game.

You say it was in Oblivion too? Funny, I never noticed it. Must be the quality of the game that brings back the memories :)

Cool, thanks woges.

Close enough for a musical layman like myself. It was beautiful the first time and it's beautiful this time too. Jeremy Soule is one talented artist.

So I have to ask players if it's suitable? Is it jarring at all compared to the newer tracks?
There´s just one Morrowind track, the already mentioned Silt Sunrise, which usually plays in cities from time to time.

I think it is suitable. Players who haven´t played Morrowind get to hear a great track and players who have get additional sense of continuity/nostalgia on top of that :). It´s a musical reminder of Skyrim being in the same universe as Morrowind.

Speaking of "reminders", one of my favourite aspects of Skyrim is how it manages lore and continuity between TES games.
Books from previous games are a given, but there´s a lot of new ones which address what happened between the games and sometimes offer additional insights to elements featured in them.
Moreover, there´s quite a few side quests which tie into previous games as well.
They did a great job with this, I think.

As for your original question, I've been thinking about sticking Morrowind on my new laptop but unsure if much work will get done if I do.

I hear ya Skaven bro, Skyrim has totally rekindled the TES fire in me.

Jessica is playing Oblivion for the first time as I'm playing Skyrim, and we both stopped a Morrowind replay about halfway thru about a year ago. After reading a bunch of the books in Skyrim, I not only have the urge to replay MW, but to play straight thru all 3 games. Plus, I never finished Oblivion or played any of the expansions..

Seriously, I love the ES games and world, and Ive already got a nice kickoff on MW w/ a dunmer thief. I dont know if I could tho, I have other stuff I want to play and the ES games are pretty demanding, at least the thorough way that I play them. I've been toying w/ the idea of a Khajit playthru of the games, this time focusing on stealth & helping the slaves and all that being sympathetic to the beast races thing.

Or, maybe for the first time going full magic, that would be interesting. I've dabbled in magic and used it for utilitarian purposes w/ my fighter characters, but never exclusively.

Speaking of "reminders", one of my favourite aspects of Skyrim is how it manages lore and continuity between TES games.
Books from previous games are a given, but there´s a lot of new ones which address what happened between the games and sometimes offer additional insights to elements featured in them.
Moreover, there´s quite a few side quests which tie into previous games as well.
They did a great job with this, I think.

My problem with the books is, and always has been, that once you start reading you can spend half an hour in one library reading everything that's there, when you're really just in the mood for some dungeon delving. So you make a note to come back and read them later, but then you can't remember what you've read or not, or you find that you've got 100 books waiting on the list. In the past I've ended up reading most of the books online. :p

As for your original question, I've been thinking about sticking Morrowind on my new laptop but unsure if much work will get done if I do.

LOL, probably not that much work.

@Sammy Could you do a bro a favor and tell me what mods you used with Oblivion. I had exactly the same thought as you did, but I need to fix what Beth broke in that game to replay it (after Morrowind of course :)).

God, it's giving me fond memories of Oblivion too. Like finding that damn village where all the people are invisible. If only they had skyrim's leveled gear and monsters in that game then it might not be so bad. I really think they might have done that right this time around.

Also will have to play a pure mage in Oblivion. My biggest problem was the freaking battles……or I'll load the morrowind combat mod for Oblivion. That helped for a bit until the fracken bandits started having glass weapons. It made finding special loot just about worthless.

Ehhh, in any case what mods did you use? That might help because I have that same TES fire now.

Last edited:
Actually, Skyrim gives me the urge to replay Oblivion for some reason. Even though I hated the level scaling in Oblivion, it's another massive open world to explore. Playing Skyrim makes me feel like giving Oblivion another chance. Weird, but true.

I've played the crap out of Morrowind, so I really don't have any desire to play it again for awhile. Who knows how many hours I've spent with that game. Countless hours.

Thanks for the information, people (Woges for the links) Interesting stuff. It is a welcome nod indeed to Morrowind, and the reworking sounds quite faithful and respectful.

I'm still resisting the urge to just go out and buy the game. :) I've got several friends now playing it and all of the positive energy in these threads has my will to wait, wavering. If I didn't have so many other games to play, I'd probably be leaping in there headlong with the rest of you. :D

I have played Morrowind for longer than I care to mention and, recently, I have tried it again but abandoned this idea very quickly. Reasons? Graphically this game has really aged and I have played it so long that I remember every quest and side quest. I also don't really have time to trawl through tons of mods which, for me, are an essential part of the game.

In short, i'd rater keep my fond memories :)

Back
Top Bottom