X-Com and why executives suck - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » X-Com and why executives suck

Default X-Com and why executives suck

July 15th, 2011, 22:50
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Who cares?
Well right back at ya. See how this works. I can keep going. I'm not open minded and dont want it in any game I play. Don't care what people do in real life but leave it out of my games. I see enough of this on tv /movies/ and the news.

Back On topic the game is a Bioshock clone. Same writer and developers.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#21

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,412
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2011, 22:59
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Good for for but not everyone does.
Cry some more, we're here and we'll be in all your games soon enough. Get used to it, you bigot.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#22

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2011, 23:18
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Cry some more, we're here and we'll be in all your games soon enough. Get used to it, you bigot.
Typical response shove the belief on others."We're Here! We're Queer! Get used to it!"
I dont care what you do in your personal life. This is about a game not real life.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#23

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,412
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2011, 23:21
You're the one who needs to get over it, actually. I'm not going to change your mind, I know that, but I know that I'm going to laugh at you and find myself superior.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#24

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2011, 23:28
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
You're the one who needs to get over it, actually. I'm not going to change your mind, I know that, but I know that I'm going to laugh at you and find myself superior.
Good you do that than. Do what every makes you think your superior.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#25

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,412
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2011, 23:40
Well…this topic certainly took a turn that I was not expecting… Any chance we could get this back on the rails a bit? The role of gays in video games…never thought an X-Com game would eventually be a part of that debate!
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#26

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 15th, 2011, 23:51
Hey Couchpotato, now you're both a pirate and a bigot. Way to go.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,300
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 00:06
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Well…this topic certainly took a turn that I was not expecting… Any chance we could get this back on the rails a bit? The role of gays in video games…never thought an X-Com game would eventually be a part of that debate!
Well, it apparently is. Couchpotato derailed the thread with his bigoted whining over the game not existingsolely within a heterosexist paradigm. Time for you kids to grow up and realize that gay people are not going away just because you plug your ears, close your eyes and pray real loud.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#28

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 00:36
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Well, it apparently is. Couchpotato derailed the thread with his bigoted whining over the game not existingsolely within a heterosexist paradigm. Time for you kids to grow up and realize that gay people are not going away just because you plug your ears, close your eyes and pray real loud.
Well, I personally don't really care either way. All that I will say on the matter is that I don't have any problem with a gay character in a video game, but I don't like the idea of video games attempting to make one-sided social statements that are biased towards one view or the other. If they made a character that happened to be gay and that was the end of it, then that's fine - it's not something that I would personally include in a game that I was making, but I'm not offended by that subject matter, and if done well, it could be a very interesting story-telling dynamic. However, this just appears to be an attempt to make a social statement, and I guess I just get tired of hearing the liberal whining about how "difficult" it is to be gay - at least in terms of homosexuals who live in the western world where hate crimes are illegal and intolerance is socially/culturally unacceptable and frowned upon. People living in other areas of the world - gay or straight - have far more significant problems compared to the struggles that homosexuals face living in a mostly open-minded and tolerant Western culture. I'm not blind to the fact that homosexuals still face bigotry and intolerance even in the western world, but it's no where near as severe as some of the problems that exist in other places of the world - people being killed over religion, women who are treated like cattle, starvation, rampant disease, genocide, etc.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#29

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 00:41
Nobody was discussing the plight of gay people in our horribly bigoted western society full of institutional homophobia and, apparently, socially acceptable ways of displaying this bigotry. You can get off your soapbox now, nobody said anything about this but you.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#30

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 00:53
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Nobody was discussing the plight of gay people in our horribly bigoted western society full of institutional homophobia and, apparently, socially acceptable ways of displaying this bigotry. You can get off your soapbox now, nobody said anything about this but you.
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Couchpotato derailed the thread with his bigoted whining over the game not existingsolely within a heterosexist paradigm. Time for you kids to grow up and realize that gay people are not going away just because you plug your ears, close your eyes and pray real loud.
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Cry some more, we're here and we'll be in all your games soon enough. Get used to it, you bigot.
Perhaps I misunderstood these particular quotes, but it sounded like the comments of a slightly angry person with a bit of a chip on their shoulder who was on a bit of a crusade. I just wanted to state my opinion on the matter since the thread had been taken over regarding that topic. Perhaps the discussion should return to the game itself - this topic appears to be far too volatile to actually have a calm, open-minded, logical discussion without someone getting upset or bothered by other opinions.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#31

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 00:59
Those are replies to a person making bigoted statements. I don't see why I'm in the wrong for replying to them harshly considering the harshness and intolerance in his posts.

You really don't seem to be getting that this *is* about the game, specifically about whining babies hating on a gay character. There's nothing in that quoted description of the character on the previous page that indicates that the character is shoehorned in to placate some 'liberal agenda' or whatever. You shoehorned that in. You shoved that opinion down my throat!
Last edited by darkling; July 16th, 2011 at 01:11.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#32

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 01:01
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I have seen a few proper (non-sexualized, non-stereotyped) implamentations of lesbians in computergames, such as Veronica in Fallout New Vegas and the landlord in Their Longest Journey.
I haven't had Veronica travel with me in New Vegas yet, but I do remember the landlord in The Longest Journey. That was certainly a well-done execution of the topic - that particular character was gay, and they wrote that into the story, but they avoided the extremes of being either too prude or "ashamed" of the matter, having it be a sexual fantasy, or by being "in-your-face" about it to the player or being over the top in order to make a social statement. That's the type of example I was talking about when it comes to how the issue should be approached and included in games.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#33

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 01:10
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Those are replies to a person making bigoted statements. I don't see why I'm in the wrong for replying to them harshly considering the harshness and intolerance in his posts.

You really don't seem to be getting that this *is* about the game, specifically about whining babies hating on a gay character. There's nothing in that quoted description of the character on the previous page that indicates that the character is shoehorned in to placate some 'liberal agenda' or whatever. You shoehorned that in. You shoved that opinion down my throat!
Haha fair enough, I see your point. And nice pun! Actually, my opinion that the game was making a social statement was my own thoughts on how it appeared 2K was handling it, and it had nothing to do with any of your quotes. Those were nothing more than just my own thoughts on the matter and not a reply to anything mentioned in this thread, so sorry for the confusion there. As for 2K's quoted description, it is purely a gut feeling that I had while reading it that just seems like they are really pushing the gay aspect of the main character, but I could be wrong on that because it's far too early to make a judgment on how it will be written into the story.

Either way, the gameplay is what I'm ultimately concerned about, and it's not a turned-based strategy game! Isn't that where everyone's rage should be directed?!
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#34

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 01:13
I bet the Civilization V team also didn't like that their publisher called their style of game "not contemporary". I'm not sure why these execs give interviews, they always shoot themselves in the foot. They should stay in the background, where they belong, signing checks and managing money.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#35

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 01:40
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
I bet the Civilization V team also didn't like that their publisher called their style of game "not contemporary". I'm not sure why these execs give interviews, they always shoot themselves in the foot. They should stay in the background, where they belong, signing checks and managing money.
I agree, the fact that the Civ team is under the 2K label is the most baffling part of all this and is proof of how publishing executives clearly lack knowledge about the video game industry. Surely this executive must have seen the sales figures and critical praise of Civilization V, so how can he possibly say that strategy games are not "contemporary" enough to be successful?
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#36

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 16th, 2011, 02:48
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well right back at ya. See how this works. I can keep going. I'm not open minded and dont want it in any game I play. Don't care what people do in real life but leave it out of my games. I see enough of this on tv /movies/ and the news.
If you are too dysfunctional to work in society the proper way to deal with it is to seek professional help. Asking for society to bend according to your self-inflicted disorder is delusional and naive. Strive to be well, or shut up.
--
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#37

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » X-Com and why executives suck
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:17.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch