Fallout 4 - Comparison with The Witcher 3 @ Inquisitr - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 4 - Comparison with The Witcher 3 @ Inquisitr

Default Fallout 4 - Comparison with The Witcher 3 @ Inquisitr

November 18th, 2015, 17:08
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Fallout 3 has better character development, crafting, exploration, and a better loot system.
Freudian slip?

zahratustra

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2015, 17:12
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
Freudian slip?
D'oh!

Fixed

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

November 18th, 2015, 17:14
Well I can't compare the two as one is a story driven game that for all its "open world" is very preset. You are Geralt period. To me it isn't remotely sandbox. That being said what little I played of it showed that the writing, graphics, and atmosphere is well above FO4, to me at least. But I think I stopped playing around the 25 hour mark or so (not sure) and lost interest. I simply can't get into a game that is that restrictive on "my" character.

FO4 is a different style game to me and I can't see comparing them as they do different things.

All I know is I paid for the Witcher 3 and barely got 25 hours out of it and FO4 I am now up to 40 and every night can't wait to get home to play it. W3 I was starting to force myself to play so I felt I was getting something for my money.

Do wish to stress, however, I think W3 is an awesome and amazing game. I just can't get into its style is all. I just couldn't connect to having my main character so defined for me and as interesting as the story is couldn't get sucked into the game play. Modding for it holds no interest as I am always Geralt.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2015, 17:15
25 hours?
Hours?
It was approx a number of 8hour gaming days on my side.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)

November 18th, 2015, 17:33
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Fallout 4 wins in weapon variety, explorable locations, crafting, loot variety, player character choice, (infinite vs. old Geralt), number of tweak-able player characteristics, settlement building, number of companions, mod community, and amount of foul language.

Witcher 3 wins in graphics, storytelling and it has a horse.
Weapon variety and loot variety. Lets call it general item variety. Its true that Fallout 4 has more variety, the setting allows it. Nobody expected Geralt to have more than just swords and axes to swing.

Player character choice infinite vs Geralt? You must mean male/female vs Geralt. Unless we're counting changing nose/mouth and chin size as actual choices

As for number of tweak-able playable characteristics i assume you mean the perk chart. It's not that great and doesn't offer that much to be honest. Still, i find it ok.

All comes down to player preference as always. I love the fallout world, Fallout 2 could easily be my all time favorite. Even though i like some aspects of Fallout 4, it really doesnt remind me of fallout game anymore. Already on my way out of it too. I played quite a bit and it's starting to get tedious for me. Those loading times dont help at all either. Even as SSD can't help you.

Giovanni1983

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2015, 17:56
For some reason, I can't bring myself to enjoy The Witcher. I really wanted and tried. But I really dislike the combat and every other rpg systems are just meh. I like the world, the the characters, story… But everything else kills any joy playing the game.

I liked The Witcher 1 better, TW2 I've tried 3 times, I've quit after the first 3-4 hours. TW3 I've played about 4-5 hours, I still don't like the combat and player movement, but it was ok. But stopped playing a couple days and… Never touched it again since.

Yeah, I don't know why I keep buying this series.

Gwendo

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 18th, 2015, 18:11
Originally Posted by Giovanni1983 View Post
Weapon variety and loot variety. Lets call it general item variety. Its true that Fallout 4 has more variety, the setting allows it. Nobody expected Geralt to have more than just swords and axes to swing.

Player character choice infinite vs Geralt? You must mean male/female vs Geralt. Unless we're counting changing nose/mouth and chin size as actual choices

As for number of tweak-able playable characteristics i assume you mean the perk chart. It's not that great and doesn't offer that much to be honest. Still, i find it ok.

All comes down to player preference as always. I love the fallout world, Fallout 2 could easily be my all time favorite. Even though i like some aspects of Fallout 4, it really doesnt remind me of fallout game anymore. Already on my way out of it too. I played quite a bit and it's starting to get tedious for me. Those loading times dont help at all either. Even as SSD can't help you.
You're playing FO4 on PC or console. The loading times on PC with a SSD are pretty fast. Although that was expected, for an engine that has been optimized (well, somewhat) since Oblivion.

Gwendo

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 18th, 2015, 18:30
I am playing on PC.

i7-4790K @ 4.2Ghz
MSI GTX 970 Overclocked
16GB RAM
Samsung Pro Evo SSD 250GB's
Windows 7

When i fast travel, enter a building or both, it can take from 8-15 seconds to load. That is a huge amount of time. It's a known issue i've done some research on it, people are complaining about it.

About witcher character movement, they released an alternative setting that is much more responsive for people that didn't like the original one if you haven't tried that yet.

I do agree by the way that the witcher is a much more "difficult" setting to get into. Fallout is well established and recognised and people know what it's all about.

The witcher is hugely based on storytelling and characters. It does have tons of loot but its only swords. If you're more interested in a sandbox/exploration game, while it does have an open world and places to explore, its probably not for you

Giovanni1983

Sentinel

November 18th, 2015, 18:39
I play them for different reasons, witcher for the story and fallout for the exploration. Mostly anyways.
Both are pretty much as good as it gets in those aspects.

Thiraury

Watchdog

November 18th, 2015, 19:31
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Well I can't compare the two as one is a story driven game that for all its "open world" is very preset. You are Geralt period. To me it isn't remotely sandbox. That being said what little I played of it showed that the writing, graphics, and atmosphere is well above FO4, to me at least. But I think I stopped playing around the 25 hour mark or so (not sure) and lost interest. I simply can't get into a game that is that restrictive on "my" character.
That is funny because Fo4 also says you are a vault dweller, you are married and you have a kid. And you are always a good guy. They basically made your into a Mass Effect character, only thing missing is an unchangeable surname.
Not much sandbox here.

Only real advantage over Geralt is that you are not stuck at only using one type of weapon. And you don't meet NPCs that know and talk about your history.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 18th, 2015, 19:57
Which is better candy bar or ice cream? Don't care I'll take both please.

sakichop

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2015, 20:27
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'd say TW3 has better visuals, music, writing, characters, AI, voice acting, and a better UI.

Fallout 4 has better character development, crafting, exploration, and a better loot system.
I can agree with all of that except the voice acting. I think Fallout 4 got this right this time. Witcher 3 has way too many people that don't say anything at all or just repeat one conversation over and over. I will agree that Geralt beats "Lone Ranger….um Survivor" though. Since W3 has much better writing for the main cast members, I will say that the VO work on W3 main npcs beats the VO work on F4 mains too. It's just the total voiced population that I give the nod to Fallout 4.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

November 18th, 2015, 20:55
In my books, good voice acting comes down to quality over quantity. If a game has 100 greatly voiced NPCs and another has 300 mediocre ones (as is about the case here i'd say) then kudos goes to the former.

Witcher 3 has a pretty huge amount NPCs that are voiced excellently. Fallout 4 might have more but they aren't even near as good. Most of them are pretty boring/skipable.

All this comes from a person who likes Fallout 4, i think it's a good game.

Giovanni1983

Sentinel

November 18th, 2015, 22:16
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
That is funny because Fo4 also says you are a vault dweller, you are married and you have a kid. And you are always a good guy. They basically made your into a Mass Effect character, only thing missing is an unchangeable surname.
Not much sandbox here.

Only real advantage over Geralt is that you are not stuck at only using one type of weapon. And you don't meet NPCs that know and talk about your history.
I wouldn't expect others to agree with my play style or view point on games. Some might, some might not, some might be somewhere in between. How people view things depends on their personality, gaming style, and what they tend to emphasize or de-emphasize in a game.

I am familiar with both games and I know what I like and dislike as far as how the main character is set up and defined in a game. If I say one is more restrictive to me than the other then I would certainly know better than someone else. To me there are some major differences between the lone survivor/FO4 and Geralt/W3 (although the whole marriage/kid thing was a huge step backwards in character freedom. It's the only major flaw I find with FO4 but to me it is still way more flexible/free then being Geralt, the Witcher).

If it is different for you thats fine. I was just giving my opinion on comparing them and why I felt they were different. I certainly don't expect everyone to share the same viewpoint on the character issue. Having read a few threads on various forums on the matter I know there is a wide range of opinions on how people view character freedom in games that range from very open to very restrictive.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2015, 23:15
To use the reviewer's phrase, it's precisely FO4's "scattered focus" that holds the game's appeal for me.

As an aisde, FO4 > TW3.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

November 19th, 2015, 05:46
I can't be the only one majorly hung on the scrapping (or at least massive roll back) of the dialogue system of both AAA RPGs we got this year.
With that in mind I can hardly imagine FO4 resembling the better of the modern Fallout games so W3 wins by default.
--
I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Last edited by Kostas; November 19th, 2015 at 06:13.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

November 19th, 2015, 06:29
The dialogue wheel and voiced player character may be the worst part of FO4. Please let me choose what my character will actually say. As it is, my character never has anything interesting to say anyway, so why must I be forced to listen to it?

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 19th, 2015, 12:44
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
The dialogue wheel and voiced player character may be the worst part of FO4. Please let me choose what my character will actually say. As it is, my character never has anything interesting to say anyway, so why must I be forced to listen to it?
There is a mod that makes this better. I tried it yesterday and it makes the game a lot better.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 19th, 2015, 21:23
Thanks. That looks pretty good.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 20th, 2015, 00:32
First I did not read the article, as I can't see one thing they could find without trying to compare the two games too.

They were both released in 2015 can we compare that?
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 4 - Comparison with The Witcher 3 @ Inquisitr