Chris Avellone - On Great RPGs and What the Future Holds - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Chris Avellone - On Great RPGs and What the Future Holds

Default Chris Avellone - On Great RPGs and What the Future Holds

June 25th, 2020, 16:32
Says 6PM CEST https://twitter.com/gamescom/status/…5Etweet…

If that's so, I can't watch the live stream, won't be at home. I could actually, but I had enough of staying in this dump due to corona-bs and I want to enjoy the outside!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 16:35
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Says 5 PM UK… Isn't that in an hour and half?
If that's so, I can't watch the live stream, won't be at home. I could actually, but I had enough of staying in this dump due to corona-bs and I want to enjoy the outside!
The count down says in sixty minutes. It's 11 am eastern time where I live.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 16:40
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
At the very least he has zero respect for women and is a creep. He has already made his apologies for behaving like that, so it is not like it didn't happen.
Myrthos, thank you for moderating. I don't post very often at all and just wanted to add one observation.

While Chris has indeed apologized, it has been brief and non-specific. This is one of the longer examples: "There is nothing to say, really. I should have been better, but I did care very much. We continued to see each other for years after our first meeting, and I have no regrets." https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/st…44818114248704

Respectfully, such an apology does not lend itself to reinforcing the assertion that he has zero respect for women.

Versive

Traveler
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

June 25th, 2020, 17:29
Originally Posted by Myrthos
At the very least he has zero respect for women and is a creep. He has already made his apologies for behaving like that, so it is not like it didn't happen.
correct. it was enough of a pattern of behaviour that he was banned

Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I do belief it is possible to deliberately get someone else drunk. In which case it is indeed that person's fault.
People need to take responsibility for their own actions. No one forced her to drink anything.
No, she was not responsible of someone deliberately trying to have his way with her.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of drinking. You make yourself stupid, you lose your ability to make rational choices, you end up sick in the morning and feel stupid for being that stupid for doing that.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 17:54
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Personally, I don't understand the appeal of drinking. You make yourself stupid, you lose your ability to make rational choices, you end up sick in the morning and feel stupid for being that stupid for doing that.
Drinking is good. It tastes good, lowers nervous tension, and good for the stomach.
The only challenge is is doing it with self control.

If you get into booze and get drunk, you are but a kid.
If you can put down the glass and call it a day, you are a grown-up.

I never drink with kids.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 18:00
Sounds like a barrel of laughs. Where's the party at?
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
+1:

June 25th, 2020, 20:21
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
it was enough of a pattern of behaviour that he was banned
Can you describe the essence of the pattern? Can you describe exactly what he's 'doing wrong'?

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 20:26
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 22:04
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The Codex released a statement about Avellone this morning.

https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11481
That's pretty funny
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 23:00
Add me to the (apparently) long list of people who were chiefly surprised by this news because I thought Avellone was gay.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 00:44
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
I'm very open to discussion. I'd love to know how using any evidence other than social stereotypes that someone could watch two professional adults at an event drinking and assign one of them to role of predator and one to victim. Can you imagine the ridicule that the male would get if he claimed the victim role?
You clearly don't go to enough gay bars.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
+1:

June 26th, 2020, 03:17
…where there are never enough predators to go around to all the would-be victims…
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 06:29
Originally Posted by Versive View Post
Myrthos, thank you for moderating. I don't post very often at all and just wanted to add one observation.

While Chris has indeed apologized, it has been brief and non-specific. This is one of the longer examples: "There is nothing to say, really. I should have been better, but I did care very much. We continued to see each other for years after our first meeting, and I have no regrets." https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/st…44818114248704

Respectfully, such an apology does not lend itself to reinforcing the assertion that he has zero respect for women.
That's silly. Nothing he's done calls for any sort of public apology, and you have no idea what he's said privately to the particular people involved. Just because one of those people wants to form up a Cancel Culture Mob against him doesn't mean he needs to play along. That never goes well and I'm glad to see he's avoided falling into the trap (so far).

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 26th, 2020, 08:42
FYI, a reminder where this thread is at:
1. Interview with CA about his opinions on RPGs leads to…
2. Accusations for CA being a sexual predator leads to…
3. Uproar that CA is not gay.

I think a hmmm… logical follow-up would be…
A conspiracy theory that playing Baldur's Gate is hard proof that you are gay?

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 11:38
Sad if true. Men should show respect to women and that is all there is to it. On the internet it is always hard to tell what is true as anyone can post anything. In this case it sounds like he has been a bit of sleazeball (based on his response) but I'm not sure if it is anything more than that. If it is more than that then it would certainly lower my respect for him and it would put a small tarnish on the games he has worked on - but I reserve my judgement if the facts are not clear.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

June 26th, 2020, 12:28
If he did anything unlawful I hope he will get trial and will be judged. If he crossed moral standards I hope his conscience is heavy and that he will be able to learn from it and improve.

But judging him based on internet discussion allegations? How high moral ground I would have to take to be able to do that? And other people do? What is their moral background that allowes them this? Who knows, they are anonymous.

And his apology? Is it hard to imagine he takes that route hoping to avoid further escalation, even though he might not feel guilt? Not saying thats what happened, but is it not possibility? People, please consider.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

June 26th, 2020, 12:57
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
If he did anything unlawful I hope he will get trial and will be judged. If he crossed moral standards I hope his conscience is heavy and that he will be able to learn from it and improve.

But judging him based on internet discussion allegations? How high moral ground I would have to take to be able to do that? And other people do? What is their moral background that allowes them this? Who knows, they are anonymous.

And his apology? Is it hard to imagine he takes that route hoping to avoid further escalation, even though he might not feel guilt? Not saying thats what happened, but is it not possibility? People, please consider.
Personally, there's no way I'm judging him by some twitter allegations, unless and until there is due process.

I think his problem is that he's put himself in a very vulnerable position, by largely trading off his reputation through renting his name to projects. The trouble is, reputation can be a capricious thing, and businesses are always touchy about anything that invites potentially bad PR.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 12:58
If it was unlawful it should go to court.

If it was something less the involved parties should sort this out in private.

In any case it should not be discussed on Twitter.

If you go public via internet both parties can get damage.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 13:08
Seems the women who posted on Twitter was his Ex apparently.

He talked about that with his apology.

I see this happen a lot on Twitter. The biggest case was the guy from AMC who was defamed, de-platformed, and won the end. Even got his job back and compensation.

His name was Chris Hardwic.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 14:20
If true it only adds to what I'm always saying, social networks need to die.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Chris Avellone - On Great RPGs and What the Future Holds